meltdown thread

Malth

I've been wanting to start this topic for a while now, and I might as well during melt down mode. The truth is...we're not that good.

The spread on the tOSU game tonight was 3-5 points depending on your bookie...my response was "That's it?...Easy decision"...

Our defense is soft, our offense is inconstant, and our special teams makes a lot of mistakes.

We are not even close to the era where we give a top 10 team a decent football game. Sorry...but Nebraska is not a good football team...

The UCLA game was a harbinger of things to come. A bad team putting up big numbers on our defense. They got rocked by a really bad Cal team yesterday.

Yah, this is true. I did have a very sinking feeling after that game. It was easy to dismiss it as a one-time fluke, but the mega-unraveling at OSU last night means it was more of a harbinger of things to come. Bad things.

As far as the Cal game though, it was a rivalry game and Cal was playing with abandon and a fair bit of (admittedly undisciplined) talent. I was at the game and the stadium was rocking. Is UCLA good? No. But can Cal occasionally give a tough Stanford / USC / Washington / UCLA team a hard time in Berkeley? Yes. Especially with Tedford's ass on the line as it is right now.

A great coach is someone who can get a player to play above his abilities and also play as a team.

Tom Osborne was such a coach. Look back at some of those teams he was able to beat during the 90's, teams that were loaded with NFL talent (some of those players will be in the Hall of Fame one day). Tom's teams were not nearly as talented but those players believed that they could beat anyone.

I do not see this quality in Bo Pelini. I have watched the Huskers year in and year out since his hiring, waiting for the team to play above its level and defeat a more talented team and have been disappointed these last few years, with the players he has recruited and been unable to motivate to greatness. I think Bo is a good defensive coordinator but not a good head coach. I don't believe he is able to get great talent to want to come to Nebraska because young people see this.

I've seen a lot of posts saying we need to bring in a big name, expensive coach. Nebraska does not need to hire a Saban or a Miles to make Nebraska great again. Just look at Urban Meyer as an example; when Florida brought him in, he was a winner at Bowling Green and Utah. There are great young coaches out there, we just need to find the next great Nebraska head coach.

I have coached for 47 years, and I disagree with the fella that has coached for 42 years, and the one that has coached for 46 years.

I have coached so long I have forgotten how long I have coached for. One day I will say something relevant that makes sense.

After all these years of coaching brilliance, I should be famous. Or something.

Thank you for reading my drivel.

Carry on.

Come back when your make believe coaching fantasy wears off.

I have coached for 47 years, and I disagree with the fella that has coached for 42 years, and the one that has coached for 46 years.

I have coached so long I have forgotten how long I have coached for. One day I will say something relevant that makes sense.

Carry on.

I really havent coached for 46 years. Hell i'm only 28 years old. i was being a smartass to someone who pops on here "chuckle chuckle i coached for bla bla years and this and that and yada yada". With all do respect to you of course.

Carry on.

I really havent coached for 46 years. Hell i'm only 28 years old. i was being a smartass to someone who pops on here "chuckle chuckle i coached for bla bla years and this and that and yada yada". With all do respect to you of course.

And I'm not a defensive genius... who is one these days :lol: ? I don't have to be one to see that we have significant trouble on defense. UCLA game was bad and the OSU game confirmed it. I didn't get much hope from Wiscy game. If things don't improve I might really come apart. :ahhhhhhhh Wow. Sometimes it helps to melt down. I feel better.