When I read these posts, I have to respond. And I have to say that..... until Bo loses six or more games, most of them ugly, we are not going to make a switch. And, try as I might to find a conspiracy in the hiring of the AD, I find it hard to believe that HP would hire a guy, with or without TOs say so, who is going to have knee jerk reactions to football results. Bo will stay until he has earned his way out the door. And the notion that this team won't at least get to seven wins with a bowl and a chance to get an eighth win is, at this point, being over reactionary. Call me back the day after we lose to Penn State, Minnesota or Iowa and we can have a more serious discussion.

I still say 9 wins. Before the season I said 10, but I picked UCLA as a tough W. A Big 12 championship appearence was dependent with 2 losses on what other teams did, and I decided not to address that. I expected a loss to Ohio St. I cant say we werent competitive because we had Urban in a pretty pickle in that 1st quarter and a half. He faked a punt in his own territory. That was a deparate team at that moment who didnt know what was happening. But Miller made one great, long run and it seemed like when went into that shell again. At first I thought it was talent deficiency but now it's obvious that it was turnovers(punt return td) and worse than serviceable defense. I also picked that we would split the Mich/Mich St. games. Right now, I'm saying Michigan will be the loss. Iowa and Penn St. have Wisconsin-like conventional offenses that we should handle well enough, and Northwester has no where near the talent around Colter that Braxton Miller has. We're gonna score our 30-40 points on everyone, with the exception of maybe Michigan St. I'm not the freak that many are, such as the ones saying after the UCLA game that we wouldnt make a bowl. Get real. Not to mention, Bo's guys are always resiliant. They handle failure a heck of a lot better than success. I would expect a pretty sound performance at Northwestern.

At first I thought it was talent deficiency but now it's obvious that it was turnovers(punt return td)

i do not know what happened to our defense in the second half, but turnovers, a punt-return, penalties, and sacks for big losses all hamstrung this team. this loss was a crazy team effort, with every phase contributing a little bit leading to a big loss. things are not as bad as they seem in that we can fix these, but they are in that they have been crippling us for some time now.

@panhandle husker... The notations of Mora and Meyer as first year coaches is a non-starter. The programs they took over had been recruiting well. Urban is only there because JT got caught in the sanctions. And Mora is there because Ricky couldn't handle the situation in LA. Bo didn't get out-coached by JK at Minnesota last year. Why? Because JK is not a good coach? Nope. Because Minnesota hasn't been good for years and hasn't been recruiting worth a dang.

Reality is that the top high school kids are not going to come to NU and play for Bo Pelini, his national image is not good. I think the last 2 recruiting classes are testiment to that. People say stars don't matter, look at Alabama, LSU, Florida, etc., good recruiting classes, Top 10 football programs...............just saying

TRUTH

But on the flipside, look at Miami, Florida State, and Notre Dame. Those two schools get the best recruits, yet fail and disappoint every year (although ND and FSU are getting better). It's a mix between the two...plenty of five star kids bomb with failed coaching, just like plenty of two star kids shine with the right coaching

The hate is strong in this thread...

23921834.jpg

But this thread is so ridiculous I have to respond. What you're seeing on the field is a result of two things:

1. Bo's undertalented first two recruiting classes have rolled back around to hurt us. There is no way that Fisher or Whaley, based strictly strictly on what they have shown on the field this year, should be taking the field as Blackshirts. I'd also lump Meredith into this group, as though he does his job a lot of the time and contains well at end, is slow as dirt peeling off blocks and therefore doesn't make plays at the edge, and provides virtually no pass rush whatsoever. But the point is, these kids still have to be troopers and go out there and play, because we have NO ONE BETTER at the current time. Our front 7 depth is terrible, as the young bucks aren't quite ready to take the reigns yet. This results in our defensive talent not being where it needs to be to run our defense effectively.
  2. Bo, as he is relatively young in his coaching career, is still stubbornly trying to make his scheme work. We've seen it produce amazing results in 09 and 10 when we had the most freakish defensive player in all of college football and our secondary was loaded, but we simply don't have the pieces right now. As a result we get guys out of position on a lot of plays either due to lack of comprehension of the system or lack of athletic ability and the big plays flow when we're on D. I do think the defensive backfield is our saving grace on defense (if we have one) which is the only reason our defense isn't one of the worst in all of CFB I do believe this will get better when the younger linebackers get up to speed (if they pan out as we all hope) and we finally find a way to stock the cupboard again at DL.

So, to recap, it's a cumulative thing. We failed to bring in the pieces we need to run our D well, and now we continue to try and make it work even when it resembles swiss cheese.

I think the people already calling for Bo's head are ridiculous knee-jerkers. I personally don't know if Taylor Martinez is the one to lead this team to a BCS bowl game and beyond... I find myself doubting whether he has the consistency, composure, and intangibles as a QB in order to lead us to big wins. I also think the people calling Bo on promoting coaching buddies are asinine. Beck, though he has gone full retard in big game situations and directly taken us out of contention with bad, imbalanced playcalling, has shown flashes of brilliance as an OC. Keep in mind, this is his SECOND full season as an OC. Give the guy some dang time and I think he will flourish and eventually become a very good offensive playcaller. I do think that this is a prove it season for Cotton, but I'll wait and see the rest of the season before I make my opinion on that. His OL has looked very good this year, aside from the UCLA game and OSU games, at times. But what facet of the team didn't look terrible in those game at times? B*tching about his kids getting schollies is idiotic, as Ben is a great TE and Sam is on the 2 deep at OL. They've been GOOD uses of scholarships.

I have no problem with Papuchis. He's also learning on the fly as his first season as a DC, but he showed great fire in that Arky State game. That's the kind of passion I want from someone so involved in the team we love. The fact is, Bo, Beck, and JP are learning on the fly at their respective positions. I do think eventually they will get a feel for the nuances and less obvious coaching intricacies that great coaches need to know. I think eventually Bo will learn to devise an altered gameplan for mobile QB's, as his job will be in jeopardy if he keeps getting destroyed by them, and he will lead the Nebraska Cornhuskers to great things given enough time and improvement on the recruiting front.

Sorry, end rant. Had to get that off my chest. All the trolls need to GTFO. :D

23921834.jpg

But this thread is so ridiculous I have to respond. What you're seeing on the field is a result of two things:

1. Bo's undertalented first two recruiting classes have rolled back around to hurt us. There is no way that Fisher or Whaley, based strictly strictly on what they have shown on the field this year, should be taking the field as Blackshirts. I'd also lump Meredith into this group, as though he does his job a lot of the time and contains well at end, is slow as dirt peeling off blocks and therefore doesn't make plays at the edge, and provides virtually no pass rush whatsoever. But the point is, these kids still have to be troopers and go out there and play, because we have NO ONE BETTER at the current time. Our front 7 depth is terrible, as the young bucks aren't quite ready to take the reigns yet. This results in our defensive talent not being where it needs to be to run our defense effectively.
  2. Bo, as he is relatively young in his coaching career, is still stubbornly trying to make his scheme work. We've seen it produce amazing results in 09 and 10 when we had the most freakish defensive player in all of college football and our secondary was loaded, but we simply don't have the pieces right now. As a result we get guys out of position on a lot of plays either due to lack of comprehension of the system or lack of athletic ability and the big plays flow when we're on D. I do think the defensive backfield is our saving grace on defense (if we have one) which is the only reason our defense isn't one of the worst in all of CFB I do believe this will get better when the younger linebackers get up to speed (if they pan out as we all hope) and we finally find a way to stock the cupboard again at DL.

So, to recap, it's a cumulative thing. We failed to bring in the pieces we need to run our D well, and now we continue to try and make it work even when it resembles swiss cheese.

I think the people already calling for Bo's head are ridiculous knee-jerkers. I personally don't know if Taylor Martinez is the one to lead this team to a BCS bowl game and beyond... I find myself doubting whether he has the consistency, composure, and intangibles as a QB in order to lead us to big wins. I also think the people calling Bo on promoting coaching buddies are asinine. Beck, though he has gone full retard in big game situations and directly taken us out of contention with bad, imbalanced playcalling, has shown flashes of brilliance as an OC. Keep in mind, this is his SECOND full season as an OC. Give the guy some dang time and I think he will flourish and eventually become a very good offensive playcaller. I do think that this is a prove it season for Cotton, but I'll wait and see the rest of the season before I make my opinion on that. His OL has looked very good this year, aside from the UCLA game and OSU games, at times. But what facet of the team didn't look terrible in those game at times? B*tching about his kids getting schollies is idiotic, as Ben is a great TE and Sam is on the 2 deep at OL. They've been GOOD uses of scholarships.

I have no problem with Papuchis. He's also learning on the fly as his first season as a DC, but he showed great fire in that Arky State game. That's the kind of passion I want from someone so involved in the team we love. The fact is, Bo, Beck, and JP are learning on the fly at their respective positions. I do think eventually they will get a feel for the nuances and less obvious coaching intricacies that great coaches need to know. I think eventually Bo will learn to devise an altered gameplan for mobile QB's, as his job will be in jeopardy if he keeps getting destroyed by them, and he will lead the Nebraska Cornhuskers to great things given enough time and improvement on the recruiting front.

So many things to disagree on but basically sounds like your fine with all the coaches taking their time to learn what they are doing. If they are going to need to take some time to figure out their job I would appreciate it if their boss would stop talking nonsense about BCS bowls, winning out , etc. it's embarrassing to us all.

23921834.jpg

So many things to disagree on but basically sounds like your fine with all the coaches taking their time to learn what they are doing. If they are going to need to take some time to figure out their job I would appreciate it if their boss would stop talking nonsense about BCS bowls, winning out , etc. it's embarrassing to us all.

What is Bo supposed to say, exactly?

"Yeah, our D sucks this year. We miss Suh, and I'm going to see if we can get a waiver for him to come back and finish the year for us instead of the Lions. We're going to be lucky to win two more games and play for in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl!"

If you were in his shoes, would you say that crap? You might handle it a little different-- talk about the loss, what went wrong, and how we plan to address it-- but I like that Bo is projecting confidence right now. He is the head of this program, and I want him to set the bar high. It's the way he is wired, and I don't mind it. It might rub a lot of people the wrong way, and I'm getting tired of crapping the bed in the big games too, but I think Bo can lead us to great things.

I am just going to be patient. If the defense quits on Bo like 2007 did for Cally and continues to just turn the ball over again and again when we can't have it, I may change my mind. But I am perfectly fine with the way Bo is handling getting pasted and is trying to save the season.

EMBARRASSING would've been Bo blowing a gasket at the post game presser and perpetuating that hothead image that still follows him around for non-Husker fans.

23921834.jpg

"Yeah, our D sucks this year. We miss Suh, and I'm going to see if we can get a waiver for him to come back and finish the year for us instead of the Lions. We're going to be lucky to win two more games and play for in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl!"

If you were in his shoes, would you say that crap? You might handle it a little different-- talk about the loss, what went wrong, and how we plan to address it-- but I like that Bo is projecting confidence right now. He is the head of this program, and I want him to set the bar high. It's the way he is wired, and I don't mind it. It might rub a lot of people the wrong way, and I'm getting tired of crapping the bed in the big games too, but I think Bo can lead us to great things.

I am just going to be patient. If the defense quits on Bo like 2007 did for Cally and continues to just turn the ball over again and again when we can't have it, I may change my mind. But I am perfectly fine with the way Bo is handling getting pasted and is trying to save the season.

EMBARRASSING would've been Bo blowing a gasket at the post game presser and perpetuating that hothead image that still follows him around for non-Husker fans.

I think he tells his team that they are going to win out. I think he tells the public he apologizes for the way they are coaching and playing and they are going to do their best to get better. Im not saying bo's the wrong guy for the job, however, I am questioning his leadership skills at the moment. I also am getting tired of having coaches who are learning on the job, that just doesn't make sense to me at this level for this program.

23921834.jpg

Patience is needed. That is all we have at this point.

Certain individuals can bitch and moan all they want on a message board and it will change nothing. Some on here think that their rants mean something, and will help fascilitate new "coaching or scheme" objectives. Not gonna happen. I can understand "what I think we should" do scenarios, but the ones that speak the "this is what we should" do, and try to come across as they know what they are talking about, more than the coaches, is plain stupid. If ANY one of us knew more than our current coaching staff, then you would be gainfully employeed by a FBS school. You are not, you are on a message board.

I can't see any reason for keeping Bo either. Let's look at his legacy in 5 years:

1) Embarassed himself and the program on National TV (Texas A&M 2010)

2) Track record of "buddy" hires of unproven assistants. Either Bo doesn't want to hire experienced guys because he feels threatened, or none of the experienced guys want to work for him.

3) Recruiting has dropped off. Callahan brought in better recruits. He may not have coached them properly, but he still recruited better.

4) Nepotism. Cotton's offspring continue to get scholarships.

5) Top talent that does come, leaves. Klachko (sp?), Moore.

6) In-state walk-ons are given away scholarships that could be used on more talented players. I know this is not a popular view as many buy into the myth that walk-ons won all 3 championships for Nebraska in the 90's, but not one other successful program in America has as many walk-ons or former walk-ons starting as Nebraska does.

7) Constantly blames the players for not "executing." Not once has Bo admitted or tried to admit that a poor game plan contributed to a loss. That is a lack of accountability.

8) Blames the media (social and print) and fans for the ills of his program. In many instances he has complained of the microscope his program is under.

9) Is hostile in press conferences after losses. Generally comes across as very boorish.

10) Big games = big losses.

11) Has lost at home every year so far to an unranked opponent. Could still happen in 2012.

12) Has not yet fired a single assistant coach for poor performance. Everyone criticized BC for holding on to Cozgrove in 2007 and not firing him. Bo is / has done the same with his underperforming assistants for 5 years (exhibit A = Cotton). You can't have it both ways.

The program is trending downward. The defense had the advantage of Dennard and David covering a lot of mistakes in the last couple of years. The offense has shown signs of life, but is still very error prone. Nebraska is also playing it's weakest schedule since probably 2003 as only 1 opponent is currently ranked (Ohio State). Massive changes are needed to right the ship. Continuing in this direction any longer will only continue to keep the program down longer. It's time to cut our losses after the Iowa game (if not sooner).

To those who believe I'm wrong, let's revisit this after the next 3 games. This team has maybe 1 win at best against NW, Mich & Mich State, and may very well end up losing all 3. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear the worst is yet to come in 2012.

Not sure who you are or just a troll,but I think you know something. Bo better win out? Were you in Omaha today?

Not a troll. Just tired and frustrated of seeing my beloved Husker program mired in mediocrity.

So, many took my first post to be trollish. I guess what i'm interested to know is the answer to these questions from everyone:

1) Why is Nebraska training its coaches on the job? Wouldn't it be more effective to bring in top recruiters and coordinators? This is not a recipe for success. The MAC and Sunbelt are for coaches in training. Agree or disagree?

2) The standard is top 10 and contend for the National Championship every year. Why should that change? It seems as if everyone is more concerned with maintaining and idealized culture than it is to play championship football. Winning is Nebraska culture. If Callahan would have won, he would have been embraced, period.

3) Given the schedule this season and the fact that this is Bo's 5th year, how is not winning at least the Legends division of the B1G not a complete failure? (sorry for the double negative).

4) Everyone seemed to want to fire Callahan for not firing Cosgrove. But Bo everyone loves Bo's loyalty to his assistants even though they don't perform. Doesn't this seem a bit hypocritical?

5) Solich was given 5 years. Callahan was given 5 years. Bo has been given 5. All 3 experiments have yielded about the same results. Record is one measure, but the quality of the losses is the most glaring in all of each coaches' final years. Isn't it time for a reboot?

So, many took my first post to be trollish. I guess what i'm interested to know is the answer to these questions from everyone:

1) Why is Nebraska training its coaches on the job? Wouldn't it be more effective to bring in top recruiters and coordinators? This is not a recipe for success. The MAC and Sunbelt are for coaches in training. Agree or disagree?

bo has experience in top programs performing at their peaks. he now has a pretty good oc. he made some mistakes recruiting, but he seems to be figuring that out. as such, it will take time to see how that pans out. any new coach is a risk. for every urban or saban there is a richrod, tyronne willingham, or neuheisal.

2) The standard is top 10 and contend for the National Championship every year. Why should that change? It seems as if everyone is more concerned with maintaining and idealized culture than it is to play championship football. Winning is Nebraska culture. If Callahan would have won, he would have been embraced, period.

that is a pretty high standard. i agree we should always be competing for our division, but there is so much parity in college football that the top ten will always be tough to remain in.

3) Given the schedule this season and the fact that this is Bo's 5th year, how is not winning at least the Legends division of the B1G not a complete failure? (sorry for the double negative).

too soon to respond to this.

4) Everyone seemed to want to fire Callahan for not firing Cosgrove. But Bo everyone loves Bo's loyalty to his assistants even though they don't perform. Doesn't this seem a bit hypocritical?
no. bo did fire watson. are you saying pap or beck should be let go? barney probably should, i would be surprised to see him here next season.
5) Solich was given 5 years. Callahan was given 5 years. Bo has been given 5. All 3 experiments have yielded about the same results. Record is one measure, but the quality of the losses is the most glaring in all of each coaches' final years. Isn't it time for a reboot?

first, this is not a superhero franchise. second, are we so sure it was the right decision to let solich go? finally, i would argue that none of them are that similar.

• Fire 1