I hope this is just coach speak, interview with Bo.

Not the biggest Bo fan, but I'm not bothered by what he said. Dude just needs to spend more time with his front 7 of his defense. I think he's made our secondary physical and prepared each week. It's a shame it seems to stop right there. Kind of been like that since day one.

Lando, not sure you read the article if you really feel like Bo is deflecting blame.

It seems like you're quick to defend Bo, but quicker to throw Taylor under the bus. They both answered honestly with what they believed was the reason behind the loss. Yet you say Bo did everything right in his and Taylor did everything wrong... I don't get it.

I'm not Bo's biggest fan at the current time but nothing he says is going to make anyone happy. If we go out the rest of the year and play hard-nosed football and limit the mistakes to some extent I'll be okay considering what we've got for a schedule in the next 2 years. If we completely bomb those 2 years then I'll be getting out my own pitchforks and torches. You can't nit-pick everything he says because let's face it, he sucks at public speaking.

I'll agree. I'm as big'a Bo-backer as anyone, but if we bomb the next two years, then yes, by then it will time for a change. I was a Callahan supporter up to the '07 USC game. The programs was taking steps. Sure '06 ended badly, but we were very competitive with two very good teams (Auburn was the only team to beat that season's National Champion). But when the USC game in '07 came around, and then the near Ball St. disaster a week later it became clearly evident it just was not going to work out. So, I joined the crowd and got my pitchforks out too.

I just believe in patience. Cally only got 4 years, and Bo is in #5 and I'm asking for more, but with Cally is was obvious. There was plenty of evidence. With Bo. Not YET. If we finish this year with the status quo 9 wins, then yes, two more years should be a reasonable guarantee. But we also have to define exactly what a "flop" in the next two years would be...

With the scheduling and a veteran offense, I'm gladly to say that anything less than a division championship would be borderline unacceptable. It would be tough to require a Big 10 championship simply because of what Ohio St. is probably going to be. That's something that could vary througout the season. Requiring a BCS bowl and/or MNC would just be ludicrous. As far as wins go, any thing less than 10 win regular seasons the next couple, could spell bad news. I hope not, but it could.

Agreed. I'd like to face them in the Title game at least once though. That would be enough for me to keep Bo here.

And I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't jump off the Cally bandwagon until the Oklahoma State game that year. Some of us are slow : )

Nothing to be ashamed about. It just became so obvious against Ball St that there problems far beyond talent and x's & o's.

It seems like you're quick to defend Bo, but quicker to throw Taylor under the bus. They both answered honestly with what they believed was the reason behind the loss. Yet you say Bo did everything right in his and Taylor did everything wrong... I don't get it.

No, I've had criticism and praise for both. But all you have to do is read the article on Bo's radio show, and then watch Taylor's presser. Night and day. Taylor has never nutted up in front of the press when given soft landing opportunities to do so. Bo has always been a point the thumb guy.

Further, as head coach, in addition to taking responsibility (which Bo has always done), it's his place to kick his players in the rear a little bit by continuing to preach execution and pointing out when it isn't followed.

Contrast that to Taylor, who broke down his 3 picks like he had nothing to do with them (incorrect, particularly on the first one. I guess I'd need to watch the other two again. I didn't get a good look at #2. I remember #3 being a pretty bad throw in garbage time.), not talking at all about his well-documented ball security issues and in the same breath talking about how those OL penalties keep setting the team back and how hard it is.

I've called Bo out for his dealings with the media before, but not when he says all the right things. I don't know how anyone could objectively watch that Taylor conference and not at least acknowledge that he made a number of missteps and he could stand to improve.

I'm not Bo's biggest fan at the current time but nothing he says is going to make anyone happy. If we go out the rest of the year and play hard-nosed football and limit the mistakes to some extent I'll be okay considering what we've got for a schedule in the next 2 years. If we completely bomb those 2 years then I'll be getting out my own pitchforks and torches. You can't nit-pick everything he says because let's face it, he sucks at public speaking.

I'll agree. I'm as big'a Bo-backer as anyone, but if we bomb the next two years, then yes, by then it will time for a change. I was a Callahan supporter up to the '07 USC game. The programs was taking steps. Sure '06 ended badly, but we were very competitive with two very good teams (Auburn was the only team to beat that season's National Champion). But when the USC game in '07 came around, and then the near Ball St. disaster a week later it became clearly evident it just was not going to work out. So, I joined the crowd and got my pitchforks out too.

I just believe in patience. Cally only got 4 years, and Bo is in #5 and I'm asking for more, but with Cally is was obvious. There was plenty of evidence. With Bo. Not YET. If we finish this year with the status quo 9 wins, then yes, two more years should be a reasonable guarantee. But we also have to define exactly what a "flop" in the next two years would be...

With the scheduling and a veteran offense, I'm gladly to say that anything less than a division championship would be borderline unacceptable. It would be tough to require a Big 10 championship simply because of what Ohio St. is probably going to be. That's something that could vary througout the season. Requiring a BCS bowl and/or MNC would just be ludicrous. As far as wins go, any thing less than 10 win regular seasons the next couple, could spell bad news. I hope not, but it could.

Agreed. I'd like to face them in the Title game at least once though. That would be enough for me to keep Bo here.

And I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't jump off the Cally bandwagon until the Oklahoma State game that year. Some of us are slow : )

Nothing to be ashamed about. It just became so obvious against Ball St that there problems far beyond talent and x's & o's.

Well, maybe that's why I'm ready to call it quits with Bo. I stayed with Callaclown too long too. Stood by him until almost the bitter end (probably around Okie State game as well). I'm not one to make the same mistake twice so this time, I'm ready to just cut our losses. The writing is on the wall. Not the same writing as was there with Cally, but equally as bad writing. So why will this time around be any different? Why should I think we won't be burnt twice? Fool me once, blah blah blah...

Anyhoo, all of that being said, I do agree with most on here that (short of a colossal meltdown) this is not the year to show Bo the door. But it will be in the next year or two I have no doubt.

Well, maybe that's why I'm ready to call it quits with Bo. I stayed with Callaclown too long too. Stood by him until almost the bitter end (probably around Okie State game as well). I'm not one to make the same mistake twice so this time, I'm ready to just cut our losses. The writing is on the wall. Not the same writing as was there with Cally, but equally as bad writing. So why will this time around be any different? Why should I think we won't be burnt twice? Fool me once, blah blah blah...

Anyhoo, all of that being said, I do agree with most on here that (short of a colossal meltdown) this is not the year to show Bo the door. But it will be in the next year or two I have no doubt.

So you're not saying now is the time, but rather speculating that it will be in the next year or two? I prefer to go about my days with hope of success. I'm afraid it's going to be a very long offseason for you my friend.

So you're not saying now is the time, but rather speculating that it will be in the next year or two? I prefer to go about my days with hope of success. I'm afraid it's going to be a very long offseason for you my friend.

Yeah, I'm thinking now isn't the time A) because no way our new AD comes in right away and makes that kind of massive change right out of the chute (unless something really extreme happens) and B) because I'm really not sure there are enough candidates who we could get who are close enough to a sure thing available right now (which is why I didn't weigh in on the pick the new coach thread). Not saying there aren't a bunch of guys who wouldn't, without question, do a better job than Bo, but there aren't many who everyone would feel was a sure thing or close enough to it that would be willing to come to Nebraska right now...at least as of today. I think that's part of the problem when Solich was fired. I think Pedey kind of jumped ship without having another ship to jump into.

As for the long offseason, those and long regular seasons started with me last season.

It's the same crap all the time. I know I posted this same stuff three years ago. It hasn't changed and won't. I like BO but to be honest I'm tired of his being such an ass to people all the time. An example: my wife and I were in the elevator with some other fans at the cornhusker hotel the day of the Wisconsin game. The elevator opens up on floor 3 and Bo is standing there looking at us. We all say hey BO, good luck etc....he stands there and stares at us without saying a word. Not a word. I'm beginning to believe other that his canned statements about execution and the us vs them mentality, he really doesn't know what to do. Hope I'm wrong.

So you're going to base your opinion of a coach because he wasn't cordial to you on the day of an important game? If you wanna go after Bo for football related issues, that's fine, because there are plenty of them out there right now, but this just seems to me to be getting pissy because someone wasn't nice to you...

What is execution the result of?

1. Talent (Coaching! Recruiting and player development)
  2. Practice (Coaching!)

If something is wrong with execution, and it is, then these need to be addressed.

On the other side of execution is strategy. You can execute a horrible strategy exceptionally and lose. You can execute a brilliant strategy fairly poorly and still win. If your strategy is to have the defense line up in a straight line and do the Soulja Boy dance every play, you can have absolutely perfect execution and lose by 100 points.

Bo isn't stupid. He watched the film and saw how, aside from poor tackling and/or out of position defenders, his scheme was countered and then beaten soundly for 3 quarters. So to blame player execution alone is simply untrue. Do I expect him, in an interview or on a talk show, to go into the details of the Xs and Os and demonstrate exactly how Urban beat him schematically for most of the game? Definitely not. But at least be straightforward about the failure in strategy.

Hey...

When another caller asked if Pelini should have rotated his defensive linemen more vs. OSU, Pelini said the Huskers’ defensive issues “went well beyond the defensive line. We didn’t execute very well. That falls back on me and the defensive coaches and trickles right down to the players. We’re all in this thing together. We didn’t get it done. We didn’t execute. There are no excuses. We weren’t tired or beat up. We didn’t get it done.”

Hey...

When another caller asked if Pelini should have rotated his defensive linemen more vs. OSU, Pelini said the Huskers’ defensive issues “went well beyond the defensive line. We didn’t execute very well. That falls back on me and the defensive coaches and trickles right down to the players. We’re all in this thing together. We didn’t get it done. We didn’t execute. There are no excuses. We weren’t tired or beat up. We didn’t get it done.”

He is taking some responsibility for the execution, yes. But still blames it entirely on execution and doesn't mention anything about strategy, which was the bigger failure against OSU.

I suppose...either Bo is right, and it wasn't strategy or scheme or game decisions* - I'll say that's a possibility. Or Bo is incorrect and is too stubborn to admit a fault in his scheme, which a growing number of people are starting to feel. I am not sure here.

In general I do feel as much as OSU outschemed us, it doesn't necessarily mean we have a scheme problem. Every game is an X's and O's battle, a chess match back and forth between the two coaching staffs. That's something where no matter what, you win some and you lose some. I wouldn't hold it against the scheme itself for losing to OSU, because Urban probably runs one of the sharpest spread run attacks in the game, and he's got Braxton at the helm of it.

That really is a case of 'what are you gonna do.' No perfect scheme to solve that. Just got to play balls out and mistake-free.

* - what I refer to by 'game decisions' is the theory that we backed off after Miller broke that 70-yarder from the disruptive defense we opened the game with. Just a theory, mind.