Let the coaching carousel begin (2012 Edition)

I think Bo has things going in the right direction here, too, and I hope he stays at Nebraska as long as his sideline demeanor doesn't seriously hurt the recruiting process (sarcasm).

However, I don't think he's accomplished enough yet to justify any deep-pocketed program buying out his Nebraska contract and giving him a new one with a raise. (Although I guess that still puts Auburn in the mix, since their last hire was a slimy coach with a losing record.)

**edit: I don't mean to say Bo is a slimy coach, I mean he would be an upgrade for Auburn, although an expensive one**

I can't help think that Bo is cut from the same cloth as Bob Stoops. Think of all the "big time" job offers Stoops has gotten over the years, yet he's firmly planted himself in Norman all these years. Something tells me Bo wants to see this thing through as long as his employers are willing to put up with him.

On a sidenote, did anyone else notice Harvey Perlman's quote in Shatel's article last weekend sticking up for Bo's "passionate" demeanor when they were talking about the sideline spat with Stafford? I think that bodes well for Bo as it pertains to the incoming AD. At least my perception of that quote speaks volumes. I could be reading too much into it though. *shrug*

Its funny how many people were calling for his head at the beginning of the season, even after the OSU game. Now they are freaking out because other schools are interested in him lol. I thought he was a horrible coach?! Some people don't know what you have, until its gone. I don't want Bo to go. This program has been going Forward since he has been here. I don't think he will leave an unfinished product, and I truly believe, Nebraska is his home.

• Fire 1

Bo has been slowly building this program to be how he wants it. He has had success here, but there is plenty more ahead of him (I hope).

We have seen what happened with a guy like Rich Rodriguez who left an extremely successful West Virginia program to take a bigger job with Michigan. That didn't turn out so great for him, and you have to think that Bo would look at a situation like that as well.

I don't see him leaving anytime soon.

Its funny how many people were calling for his head at the beginning of the season, even after the OSU game. Now they are freaking out because other schools are interested in him lol. I thought he was a horrible coach?! Some people don't know what you have, until its gone. I don't want Bo to go. This program has been going Forward since he has been here. I don't think he will leave an unfinished product, and I truly believe, Nebraska is his home.

Is it funny? Are the same people "calling for Bo's head" the ones that are "freaking out"? I thought that you guys ran those Bo critics out of town on a rail a few games ago.

Is it funny? Are the same people "calling for Bo's head" the ones that are "freaking out"? I thought that you guys ran those Bo critics out of town on a rail a few games ago.

You obviously what I read correctly, so I am not sure why your asking me exactly what I stated. YES I think its freaking HILARIOUS. The ones that were calling for Bo's head, are the same ones, even some of my friends, that are freaking out that he may leave us. Those critics are all around. There were actually a couple threads last week and the week before about how Bo needed to go because he is losing his players, and he isn't "treating them right". Its also been stated that Bo can't recruit, and he can't get a good coaching staff.

If I'm Bo Pelini, after spending the last five years of my life remolding a decimated program into something competitive, laying all the groundwork, getting all the staff in place, finding the players to run the offensive and defensive systems--why do I want to go to Arkansas to start all over again in a tougher league? I know Nebraska is a bubble of attention, but he knew that when he took the job. Even with a BCS win I wouldn't leave Nebraska, not after all that struggle to get there.

Let's not forget Mary Pat in this decision. It's a guess, but I think her voice in a decision like this is crucial to the entire family's happiness? From what I remember reading when Bo was first hired, she loved Lincoln when they were here in 2003 because of the parish they belonged to. Apparently they kept in constant contact with people from their church when Bo went to OU and LSU. That's something Mary Pat was excited about when Bo was hired as HC. Plus, another question they'll have to consider is uprooting their kids. When you consider their ages and where they're at in life, going to a new place and starting all over again might be more hassle than necessary.

In other words, it's bigger than $$. It's about family stability and if things are currently stable in the home, then why disrupt that?

Last but not least, Bo has to also consider people on his staff. Some would probably like to stay in Nebraska because they have roots there. That puts them in a tough situation where they might not have a job if they don't want to follow Bo to his next destination? Seeing how Bo bent over backwards for Watson and Gilmore in helping them land jobs after the 2010 season, shows that it's not just about him, but also the people he has working under him. Their stability is just as important to him, I think?

These are just my own personal musings on the situation. I've been wrong before, so who knows?

• Fire 3

Many people don't remember, or decide not to remember, that Bo came BACK to Nebraska. You don't come back to something you don't care about. He loves this program, just as much as many of us love him for being our coach.

Who else offered him a head gig in the winter of 07'?

He came back, left a DC job at LSU, to come back to Nebraska HC job or not, if he didn't like it here and like the tradition, he would have never came back. I guess I am confused on why you asked that question, since it had nothing to do with what I said.

The coming back part I don't see as relevant considering nobody else offered him a head coaching gig. Why would any coordinator who aspired to be a head coach return to LSU as a coordinator rather than accepting the head coaching job at Nebraska? Will Muschamp was the highest paid coordinator in college football and had already been named the head coach in waiting at Texas. He bolted for the first head coaching job offered to him. This is what most coordinators do. I just don't think coming back to Nebraska had much to do with why Bo is here. Nothing really ever struck me that Clownahan liked it here and the tradition, but he came here to be a head coach. People go where the jobs are. It's like Bo going to OU after not being retained by NU. Rumor has it he pulled a $hitty or two with regards to a recruit or two. It's all part of the business. You said he came back to Nebraska because he loves and cares for the program. I say he came back to the program because we're the only ones who gave him a shot.

• Fire 1

Many people don't remember, or decide not to remember, that Bo came BACK to Nebraska. You don't come back to something you don't care about. He loves this program, just as much as many of us love him for being our coach.

Who else offered him a head gig in the winter of 07'?

He came back, left a DC job at LSU, to come back to Nebraska HC job or not, if he didn't like it here and like the tradition, he would have never came back. I guess I am confused on why you asked that question, since it had nothing to do with what I said.

I can tell you why he "came back."

Pelini as LSU's DC = $400,000/year

Pelini's starting salary at NU = $1.1 million/year . Not to mention the fact that the bump from coordinator to HC, especially a HC in a major conference, is a huge one that can lead to many more millions (Pelini's current salary = $2.8 million).