The Martinez Legacy?

Well, it's no different than I was talking to another fan the other day who said something like....."Imagine what we could do if our F***ing line could run block?"

I looked at him and said..."You aren't 8th in the nation and top in a run dominated conference without good run blocking". He shut up and walked away.

I just don't get it. It's like some fans refuse to enjoy what we have.

Run blocking has been a great improvement this year. Still room to grow as always, but if it stayed the same next year I wouldn't be terribly disappointed. Pass blocking is where we need to see significant improvement. Too many sacks, scrambles, and in pocket fumbles. I just feel like we are hit or miss sometimes on pass pro, but that falls on everyone from Taylor (directing protection), to the RBs and the line.

Good Post. Too early to tell IMHO. Big improvement this year over last. He has improved in game management, passing, and knowing when to run - freshman year - ran all the time, soph year - injury made him hesitant. His decisions have improved as the year has gone on and as he has gelled wt the receivers and backs. If he wins the big 10 championship this year and next I think it will cement him as one of the top 2 or 3 QBs. No one in the foreseeable future will replace Tommie Frazier at # 1. Turner Gill and Scott Frost are sentimental 2 and 3, Jerry Tagge winning our 1st 2 NC at 4 and Eric Crouch # 5 in my opinion. If TM doesn't win any championships he will be consider less sucessful then these 5 and maybe less of an emotional favorite then the QB Steve Taylor form the 1980s. TM hasn't won anything yet, but he has the potential this year to win our 1st CC since 1999 (so hard to believe) and I do believe with the offense wel'll have next year a NC is not out of the question - if TM keeps improving and we can field a defense that is better than the 83 d that denied Gill of his championship (besides the PSU catch out of bounds in 1982). If TM wins a national championship - I think he ends up sitting # 2 or 3 on the list.

As someone mentioned, having him as a 4 year starter may allow for some of the other QBs to develop as understudies just as running backs and O.L were developed in the pipeline years. This is a good thing and Bo took a big risk to start him as a true freshman and remain with him in spite of the ups and downs. And Cody Green is doing well here in Tulsa.

the "martinez legacy"? i have not even seen the "martinez supremecy" yet

I'm pretty sure that was filmed in Manhattan and Stillwater. You should check it out it was a good one.

I thought that was the Martinez Identity. Man, I get so confused with all these movie names!

Maybe, oh well. I can't wait for the Martinez Ultimatum!

NC or else!!!

the "martinez legacy"? i have not even seen the "martinez supremecy" yet

I'm pretty sure that was filmed in Manhattan and Stillwater. You should check it out it was a good one.

I thought that was the Martinez Identity. Man, I get so confused with all these movie names!

Maybe, oh well. I can't wait for the Martinez Ultimatum!

NC or else!!!

That's next year. Senior year.

I just don't get it. It's like some fans refuse to enjoy what we have.

Exactly. It's amazing listening to/reading posts from some Husker fans. They would clearly rather hate the team for what they aren't than love them for what they are. I've never understood that, but we see it every single day right here on HuskerBoard, and we're probably one of the more positive fan sites around. Cruise through some other sites and these guys are amazed when we win a game.

So true. I've been guilty of it myself. It's so stupid sometimes as a Husker fan to look at the negatives. I do it often. I also see the positives. Nobody with a sane mind can bash Taylor. He may not be perfect, but the guy is a beast. He has thrown us into some wins, and ran us into some wins. He does it all. It used to be just run with him in my belief, but as good as he has looked this year, next year will probably be phenomenal. He deserves respect and credit for his effort.

I couldn't agree more about the offensive line. We are a top ranked rushing team in the country for a reason. That doesn't just happen. Offensive line is that "unsung" part of a football team. It's amazing considering it is the lifeline of an offense. Our lifeline is strong right now. Best part is, we have shown that we can improve game to game. In the coaching world, all you can ask is to see improvement week to week. Across the board I think this team is improving.

We Husker fans want so damn much for our team. We win, but we want to dominate! We run the ball well, but damnit, we want the option where we break 80 yarders like the old days. Now we can throw the ball, but the best passer in Husker history isn't good enough! We want better! We got guys saying they would take Swift and Peterson all day long, but when you look at talent, we have four or five guys on the roster right now that blow Swift and Peterson out of the water as far as talent goes. Can we look at this team and say damn what a great year! We won more game than I though we would. We won out when we had to win out. We are back in the Conference Championship game! This is fun. I'm happy as hell we are playing another game this weekend. Win or lose, it sure is sweet to be there. If we win or lose, let's applaud this team for stepping up and getting there. It's been a really good year.

• Fire 3

Taylor could leave Lincoln today, and he would be one of the best Quarterbacks to grace Memorial Stadium, if nothing else then just based on his production. I have been on the Taylor bandwagon since Western Kentucky his freshman year. The kid has an incredible amount of talent, and obviously has an incredible work ethic. Just for a second, lets imagine that he leads us to the National Championship game next year.... Imagine his legacy then. It is all out there for this kid to achieve, and if he were to lead us back to the top, with a National Championship then we would be one of the two best QB's to play for Nebraska.... That is if! I still think he goes down as one of the top 4 or 5 in history anyways, by the time he is finished in Lincoln....

Martinez's legacy has yet to be decided. If he can win a conference title and a Rose Bowl this year, and a conference title and either a Rose Bowl or a national championship next year, I think he goes down as one of the great Husker QBs along with Frazier, Gill, etc.

If we lose the CCG this year and don't win a conference title next year, he will probably be viewed as a QB who held Bo's teams back from achieving more, whether or not it's true.

I hope the first one is closer to how things play out than the second one.

If we lose the CCG this year and don't win a conference title next year, he will probably be viewed as a QB who held Bo's teams back from achieving more, whether or not it's true.

I hope fans will consider that the Husker D has tended to hold Bo's teams back (or put them in a hole) the past two seasons.

I hope so too, but a comment that my dad made a few times while I was visiting during Thanksgiving was, "I've never seen a guy who can be the MVP for both teams in the same game." I have a feeling he isn't the only one who has this opinion, right or wrong.

I hope fans will consider that the Husker D has tended to hold Bo's teams back (or put them in a hole) the past two seasons.

I hope so too, but a comment that my dad made a few times while I was visiting during Thanksgiving was, "I've never seen a guy who can be the MVP for both teams in the same game." I have a feeling he isn't the only one who has this opinion, right or wrong.

I also hope that alot of fans consider that when we look back on the great husker qbs of the past that they had an unfair advantage over martinez. What I mean by that is that they didnt step into a program that was in the cellar, Martinez did. They didnt have to put the weight of the program on their backs and try to lift the husker program back into prominence, Martinez did. T-Mart wont be the winningest qb in husker history, but he may be the most important when it comes to helping this great program get back to its former glory