VolQuest Reporting That Bo Has Reached Out to Tennessee

i'm convinced this is the best possible time for him to go - if he is going to go. We have 2 very capable AD's sitting in that office right now. Connections galore. The Arkansas job is filled, Wisconsin/Cal are not better jobs - that leaves Auburn as the only other school we'd be competing with for coaches at this point. Who knows that the field will look like next year. (or in 4-5 weeks) If his exit is inevitable (which the more time goes by the more I'm beginning to think it is) - I'm hoping it happens soon.

Auburn hired Gus Malzahn.

It seems like any average to decent coach in America can get a raise and extension merely by mentioning Tennessee. They are getting seriously desperate, and who can blame them?

Not sure where they go from here. Start over and use a search committee? Hire the first guy who says yes and has won more than 2 conference games in any of the last three years?

Whatever ends up happening, I would be demanding a new AD to replace Hart, once the dust settles. It seems like he has botched this terribly!

A name I haven't seen come up at all, which is surprising (to me anyway):

Dave Wannstedt

He did a pretty good job in his previous college stints and might be willing to get back in at CFB level. Seems he would be a natural for a school like Tennessee.

i'm convinced this is the best possible time for him to go - if he is going to go. We have 2 very capable AD's sitting in that office right now. Connections galore. The Arkansas job is filled, Wisconsin/Cal are not better jobs - that leaves Auburn as the only other school we'd be competing with for coaches at this point. Who knows that the field will look like next year. (or in 4-5 weeks) If his exit is inevitable (which the more time goes by the more I'm beginning to think it is) - I'm hoping it happens soon.

even better

...call me curious about the possibility of Moglia ending up as our coach - taking a much smaller salary (he doesn't need it) and dividing up the other 2-4 million among 6-8 of the best assistants money can buy.

...think what we'd have if our lowest assistant was bringing in 500k/year? i'm convinced (as I've laid out multiple times here) - the recipe for Nebraska getting back to the elite is not a top notch head coach...they are just the CEO/tactician...it's landing the best supporting staff in the NCAA then delegating appropriately. (2 things Bo hasn't yet done)

even better

...call me curious about the possibility of Moglia ending up as our coach - taking a much smaller salary (he doesn't need it) and dividing up the other 2-4 million among 6-8 of the best assistants money can buy.

...think what we'd have if our lowest assistant was bringing in 500k/year? i'm convinced (as I've laid out multiple times here) - the recipe for Nebraska getting back to the elite is not a top notch head coach...they are just the CEO/tactician...it's landing the best supporting staff in the NCAA.

:P

I remember awhile back (a year or so ago?) in a different thread when you suggested this hiring model. One thing for sure, we'd be breaking the mold. It'd certainly give major sports news outlets something new and different to write about. I like your idea, however farfetched it might seem.

@footballscoop At Arkansas, several agents & coaches felt that Bo Pelini had the job…and then Wisconsin rolled them Saturday night

If what knapp posted is true about Bo having the Arkansas job locked up until the conference title game fiasco went down... then this would make too much sense. Way too much sense.

Zero truth. The Arky AD has told one of our best boosters out of Texas that he didn't talk to him or even approach him about the job. This guy's wife is friends with Longs and they talk regularly.

:P

I remember awhile back (a year or so ago?) in a different thread when you suggested this hiring model. One thing for sure, we'd be breaking the mold. It'd certainly give major sports news outlets something new and different to write about. I like your idea, however farfetched it might seem.

yeah, posted it in the "who would you hire" thing today too. before I was always thinking about a trev alberts as a director of football operations/HC type. but joe moglia is perfect now.