NU history of penalties & turnovers since Devaney (graphs included)

Nexus

I think that part of the reason that penalties have increased steadily is because of an increased amount of rules. 50 years ago, defenders could go flying through the air and clothesline somebody and it was legal. Not anymore.

The amount of penalties under Bo's tenure is still too many and needs to continue to be addressed. Same with fumbles.

The best thing to compare this to would be to do the exact same thing for our opponents. This would allow us to see where all the coaches compared to turnovers and penalties of their opponents. I can tell you from my own research that Bo on average incurs more penalties, yardage and turnovers than his opponents. That's the problem.

Nebraska is ranked 33rd nationally for the number of penalties this year, with 156. We are then #26 for yards given up on penalties with 1,474. Averaging 9.4 yards/penalty.

Ok. I am talking about comparing each game. Our performance vs. our opponent. That is the true indicator because both teams are faced with the same ref crew and weather variables and such.

Ahhh, This what your looking for? :) The red is obviously us lol

Penalties/Yards

USM 4-35 --------2-30

UCLA 11-126 -----7-60

ARST 6-39 --------4-34

IDST 5-40 -------9-104

WI 2-15 -------6-70

OSU 9-76-------9-75

NW 5-45-------8-62

UM 3-44-------8-104

MSU 9-100-----9-72

PSU 6-15------9-18

MN 4-37-------5-47

IU 1-5--------2-25

WI 4-51------4-40

I think that part of the reason that penalties have increased steadily is because of an increased amount of rules. 50 years ago, defenders could go flying through the air and clothesline somebody and it was legal. Not anymore.

The amount of penalties under Bo's tenure is still too many and needs to continue to be addressed. Same with fumbles.

The only penalty that I don't think needs to be worked on, are the PI calls. I would rather a 15 yard penalty, and be a physical team, rather than give up 6 points and have teams not be scared to air the ball out. Our secondary is physical, and that is what makes us so good. The false starts, personal fouls and holding penalties are the ones that bother me the most.

The best thing to compare this to would be to do the exact same thing for our opponents. This would allow us to see where all the coaches compared to turnovers and penalties of their opponents. I can tell you from my own research that Bo on average incurs more penalties, yardage and turnovers than his opponents. That's the problem.

Nebraska is ranked 33rd nationally for the number of penalties this year, with 156. We are then #26 for yards given up on penalties with 1,474. Averaging 9.4 yards/penalty.

Ok. I am talking about comparing each game. Our performance vs. our opponent. That is the true indicator because both teams are faced with the same ref crew and weather variables and such.

Penalties/Yards

USM 4-35 --------2-30

UCLA 11-126 -----7-60

ARST 6-39 --------4-34

IDST 5-40 -------9-104

WI 2-15 -------6-70

OSU 9-76-------9-75

NW 5-45-------8-62

UM 3-44-------8-104

MSU 9-100-----9-72

PSU 6-15------9-18

MN 4-37-------5-47

IU 1-5--------2-25

WI 4-51------4-40

Yep. Notice we only incurred less yardage than our opponents 6 times and two of those occurred against garbage competition. If you take a look at Bo's entire tenure you will see this is a continuing problem especially in big games.

Yep. Notice we only incurred less yardage than our opponents 6 times and two of those occurred against garbage competition. If you take a look at Bo's entire tenure you will see this is a continuing problem especially in big games.

A lot of it during his career here, is due to an undisciplined line. False starts are notorious here and have been very costly to us, especially when there is a holding call before or after, which always seems to be the case. This falls on his shoulders just as much as it does on his assistants.

A lot of it during his career here, is due to an undisciplined line. False starts are notorious here and have been very costly to us, especially when there is a holding call before or after, which always seems to be the case. This falls on his shoulders just as much as it does on his assistants.

Agreed. It is a serious issue. NU will never return to the elite while incurring more penalties, yardage and turnovers than its opponents.

Penalties/Yards

USM 4-35 --------2-30

UCLA 11-126 -----7-60

ARST 6-39 --------4-34

IDST 5-40 -------9-104

WI 2-15 -------6-70

OSU 9-76-------9-75

NW 5-45-------8-62

UM 3-44-------8-104

MSU 9-100-----9-72

PSU 6-15------9-18

MN 4-37-------5-47

IU 1-5--------2-25

WI 4-51------4-40

In all 3 losses, we had fewer penalties and/or yards. :LOLtartar Next argument please.

Penalties are an issue. There are frequently too many, for too many yards. But looking through that list it was comical to me. Granted, 2 of those losses it was the same number penalties and only 1 yard difference. But clearly, you cant blame the UCLA game on penalties.

i just do not get false start penalties. those are the easiest to avoid and they seem to be the biggest culprit. they are also drive killers. that is a big problem with our offense, although it was much better this year than last. false starts, fumbles (when recovered), and t-mart getting sacked all caused 2nd and longs or 3rd and impossibles. that is how penalties and fumbles hurt us the most.

Penalties are an issue. There are frequently too many, for too many yards. But looking through that list it was comical to me. Granted, 2 of those losses it was the same number penalties and only 1 yard difference. But clearly, you cant blame the UCLA game on penalties.

i just do not get false start penalties. those are the easiest to avoid and they seem to be the biggest culprit. they are also drive killers. that is a big problem with our offense, although it was much better this year than last. false starts, fumbles (when recovered), and t-mart getting sacked all caused 2nd and longs or 3rd and impossibles. that is how penalties and fumbles hurt us the most.

False start penalties I believe comes mostly from lack of reps/preparation/experience. If an O line is not used to playing as a group and know each other extremely well OR a lineman is having to think too much about his assignment, they lose track in their minds of the count. On the flip side, if an O line is a well oiled machine and blocking assignments are almost automatic, the lineman can concentrate more on the snap count and taking out the guy on the other side of the ball.

Now....what I honestly don't get, is that we had a rash of false start penalties from WRs. That makes no sense to me.

I was a lineman in high school, both offense and defense. I like to think I have an aggresive mentalily and I was always good a for a false start or offsides, if not both, a game. It's hard to explain. You would think it is easy to avoid. Know the count, watch the ball. But for some reason in a game situation, when the bloods flowin, it just isnt.

Earlier I commented that I thought time of possession might influence things like; more TOP would likely increase turnovers. I need to modify that to the number of plays ran by the offense. Since we are now an up tempo offense, it seems that we are likely running more plays and therefore more snaps would result in a higher number of turnovers and offensive penalties. I would think the real indicator, and basis to compare to prior coaching, would be the number of turnovers or penalties as a percentage of the plays began. Figuring that out would probably be a real headache but it would give you a more clear picture if we are now more or less turnover/penalty prone than in the past.

I was a lineman in high school, both offense and defense. I like to think I have an aggresive mentalily and I was always good a for a false start or offsides, if not both, a game. It's hard to explain. You would think it is easy to avoid. Know the count, watch the ball. But for some reason in a game situation, when the bloods flowin, it just isnt.

We literally don't have a count on offense. Beck has stated is is a silent snap(offensive linemen are also watching for the ball to snap to get going)

Also, OP, can you do a segment on # of tackles accounted for by defensive linemen? I guess only solo? IDK you do it. Would be interesting to see IMO, at the very least, since pelini has been HC.