NU history of penalties & turnovers since Devaney (graphs included)

Nexus

Penalties are an issue. There are frequently too many, for too many yards. But looking through that list it was comical to me. Granted, 2 of those losses it was the same number penalties and only 1 yard difference. But clearly, you cant blame the UCLA game on penalties.

i just do not get false start penalties. those are the easiest to avoid and they seem to be the biggest culprit. they are also drive killers. that is a big problem with our offense, although it was much better this year than last. false starts, fumbles (when recovered), and t-mart getting sacked all caused 2nd and longs or 3rd and impossibles. that is how penalties and fumbles hurt us the most.

I was a lineman in high school, both offense and defense. I like to think I have an aggresive mentalily and I was always good a for a false start or offsides, if not both, a game. It's hard to explain. You would think it is easy to avoid. Know the count, watch the ball. But for some reason in a game situation, when the bloods flowin, it just isnt.

We literally don't have a count on offense. Beck has stated is is a silent snap(offensive linemen are also watching for the ball to snap to get going)

Also, OP, can you do a segment on # of tackles accounted for by defensive linemen? I guess only solo? IDK you do it. Would be interesting to see IMO, at the very least, since pelini has been HC.

My guess would be the tackle numbers to be quite low, outside of Suh, especially if compared to other schools. One, we played pass heavy offenses for 3 years and 2, our 2 gap play is set on Dline gobbling up blockers to let the LB's roam free to make plays.

We literally don't have a count on offense. Beck has stated is is a silent snap(offensive linemen are also watching for the ball to snap to get going)

Also, OP, can you do a segment on # of tackles accounted for by defensive linemen? I guess only solo? IDK you do it. Would be interesting to see IMO, at the very least, since pelini has been HC.

Did you just decide to tell the OP to round up some stats for you? Wow! Who died and left you in charge? :wtf

Man I love all of these stats, also regarding perception I think in the last 10 years or so we fans have been able to get easy access to this info so we can cut it up a dissect it. I view this stat as something that may help us win more games as it is an area that we can improve in today. Thanx to all who crunch these numbers.

Penalties are an issue. There are frequently too many, for too many yards. But looking through that list it was comical to me. Granted, 2 of those losses it was the same number penalties and only 1 yard difference. But clearly, you cant blame the UCLA game on penalties.

i just do not get false start penalties. those are the easiest to avoid and they seem to be the biggest culprit. they are also drive killers. that is a big problem with our offense, although it was much better this year than last. false starts, fumbles (when recovered), and t-mart getting sacked all caused 2nd and longs or 3rd and impossibles. that is how penalties and fumbles hurt us the most.

How many false start penalties did we have this year? I don't seem to remember very many. ARod (I think) had a few early on but it seemed to be down quite a ways - unless I've just blocked them out.

How many false start penalties did we have this year? I don't seem to remember very many. ARod (I think) had a few early on but it seemed to be down quite a ways - unless I've just blocked them out.

i do not think it too bad this year. but those are the most frustrating.

Looked it up for another thread. Sometimes it wasn't specified who the false start was on but if you assume the unspecified ones were against an offensive lineman there were 10 against the Oline and 2 against others. Four were against tOSU (three on one drive but we still scored a TD) and three against Penn St. In nine games this year we didn't have a false start.

Looked it up for another thread. Sometimes it wasn't specified who the false start was on but if you assume the unspecified ones were against an offensive lineman there were 10 against the Oline and 2 against others. Four were against tOSU (three on one drive but we still scored a TD) and three against Penn St. In nine games this year we didn't have a false start.

that is pretty good. i remember it being a pretty big problem last year, but i might be wrong.