Pat Forde column

I'm not as unhappy as you may think - ask my wife. I am more frustrated that I see other programs turning things around and it feels like we have met the glass ceiling. My expectations were a conference championship, a top 10 finish, and no huge thumpings on national TV by year 5. An occassional thump may happen to any program - on any given night. But we had 3 this year if you count UCLA - which was much worse than the score when you look at the 600+ yards given up. Our offense kept that game close. Bo look lost on the sideline with no answers against Wisky. Maybe in year 6 in our coaching training program we'll reach some of those expectations.

The only thing I would say about this part, is all a coach can do, is put a your players in position to make a play and hope they can get the stop. MANY plays, we had players in position to stop the counter and jet sweep, but wrong angles, poor tackling and just horrible decision making made for a long ugly night. Our defense was obsolete, and so was our tackling and ability to take right angles to stop the run. This goes on Players and Coaches.

I don't count the UCLA game as a thumping, point wise, but I do think it was a horrible defensive game. They exploited us, and exploited our weakness early in the season. Many teams took advantage of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not as unhappy as you may think - ask my wife. I am more frustrated that I see other programs turning things around and it feels like we have met the glass ceiling. My expectations were a conference championship, a top 10 finish, and no huge thumpings on national TV by year 5. An occassional thump may happen to any program - on any given night. But we had 3 this year if you count UCLA - which was much worse than the score when you look at the 600+ yards given up. Our offense kept that game close. Bo look lost on the sideline with no answers against Wisky. Maybe in year 6 in our coaching training program we'll reach some of those expectations.

The only thing I would say about this part, is all a coach can do, is put a your players in position to make a play and hope they can get the stop. MANY plays, we had players in position to stop the counter and jet sweep, but wrong angles, poor tackling and just horrible decision making made for a long ugly night. Our defense was obsolete, and so was our tackling and ability to take right angles to stop the run. This goes on Players and Coaches.

I don't count the UCLA game as a thumping, point wise, but I do think it was a horrible defensive game. They exploited us, and exploited our weakness early in the season. Many teams took advantage of it.

when the same thing happens from year to year then it falls on coaching. Bo really needs a system to help him cause when we have a few people out we seem to be a completely be a different team. TO used a system and that is why his seasons were never bad because he could plug people in and the drop off wasn't noticeable.

That is a talent level problem, back to recruiting.

I do not think anyone is saying Bo should go because he has not won a MNC. I think most are upset about the poor performance and lack of preperation. But one man can not do everything and that is what he is trying to do.

But isnt that the coaches job? Teach players how to tackle, how to run persuit angles, how to execute? If players arent executing, isnt his job to replace them with someone who will? If you say he doesnt have the players..... isnt it the coaches job to recruit players who can tackle, learn persuit angles, execute?

I have a much easier time placing blame on a grown man making 3million a year, whose sole job is to the do things listed above; then i do placing blame on 18-22 year old kids putting their bodies on the line for the entertainment of the fans and a free education. Just my 2 cents.

• Fire 1

But isnt that the coaches job? Teach players how to tackle, how to run persuit angles, how to execute? If players arent executing, isnt his job to replace them with someone who will? If you say he doesnt have the players..... isnt it the coaches job to recruit players who can tackle, learn persuit angles, execute?

I have a much easier time placing blame on a grown man making 3million a year, whose sole job is to the do things listed above; then i do placing blame on 18-22 year old kids putting their bodies on the line for the entertainment of the fans and a free education. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah you shouldn't be 'hoping' your kids can do anything by year five. Except for kicks which can go any which way. You should know the product you put on the field and be knowledged enough to know that what you have out there will get the job done. No hoping about it. You make the changes necessary to win which means if Stafford couldn't get the right angles, take him out. If the DE's can't keep the plays inside, play the younger, more athletic (less experienced), kids in the game to at least see some kind of change. But when we came out in the second half and looked the exact same, I lost a lot of confidence in Bo's ability to do what's necessary to win a big game. I'm being a realist, not a pessimist and that is what I see. And until the thumpings, yes they happen, stop, then I can't say I can do anything but 'hope' Bo can change my belief in him.

I truly think if we either don't win or don't even make it to the B1G championship, that Bo will 'find' another job either in the sec or some gig in the pros until Urban leaves in a few years.

Yeah you shouldn't be 'hoping' your kids can do anything by year five. Except for kicks which can go any which way. You should know the product you put on the field and be knowledged enough to know that what you have out there will get the job done. No hoping about it. You make the changes necessary to win which means if Stafford couldn't get the right angles, take him out. If the DE's can't keep the plays inside, play the younger, more athletic (less experienced), kids in the game to at least see some kind of change. But when we came out in the second half and looked the exact same, I lost a lot of confidence in Bo's ability to do what's necessary to win a big game. I'm being a realist, not a pessimist and that is what I see. And until the thumpings, yes they happen, stop, then I can't say I can do anything but 'hope' Bo can change my belief in him.

I truly think if we either don't win or don't even make it to the B1G championship, that Bo will 'find' another job either in the sec or some gig in the pros until Urban leaves in a few years.

I posted this on the 2013 thread:

I see us loosing 3+ games per year until we do the following on a consitant basis:

1. reduce turnovers - many turnovers aren't so bad if you have a great D - we had a lot of turnovers in our Option years but we had a great D that could 'erase' those errors

2. Develop speed and experience in the D (1990-1992 all over again - this is when we realized we need speed on D. The championship run of 1994-97 was the result)

3. Have dominate DT play that can stabalize the line & free up DE and LB to rush the passer

4. Recruit the talent & develop it. It seems Bo developed players that BC recruited but we've yet to see dominant defensive recruits on the field. Hopefully the redshirts will be that talent next year.

5. Coaching staff showing they can outcoach and make adjustments on the big stage