Gun Control

Roark

I think that we can expect to see some sort of federal legislation regarding this topic be proposed in the near future. After reading many comments from national news outlets I'm wondering what everyone's reaction is. Does the US need new gun control measures?

I think that we can expect to see some sort of federal legislation regarding this topic be proposed in the near future. After reading many comments from national news outlets I'm wondering what everyone's reaction is. Does the US need new gun control measures?

HELL NO! we don't need to pass new laws after every little incident.

This has jack and S to do with gun control. This has more to do with the state of mental health care in this country, and the radical far rightwing. Shooter's mom was a 'survivalist' and homeschooled the kid for a couple years.

2 points that exist in almost every mass killer (serial or spree)

1 - Deep religious background.

2 - Issues with women, often in relation to point #1.

The gun was the tool of choice. Nothing more. And the guns used were hand guns. Not assault rifles.

• Fire 3

This has jack and S to do with gun control. This has more to do with the state of mental health care in this country, and the radical far rightwing. Shooter's mom was a 'survivalist' and homeschooled the kid for a couple years.

2 points that exist in almost every mass killer (serial or spree)

1 - Deep religious background.

2 - Issues with women, often in relation to point #1.

The gun was the tool of choice. Nothing more. And the guns used were hand guns. Not assault rifles.

Not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to see you cite your sources on this one. Seems like this guy had a lot of other issues other than a deep religious background.

So, from what I've read/watched from various new sites (if they can be trusted anymore) I have come up with the following "facts":

1. The shooting occurred in a "Gun Free Zone"

2. The precious minutes that it took the police to get there resulted in him being able to harm others.

3. This happened in a state that already has one of the highest restrictions placed upon firearms.

4. It happened with stolen weapons. They were not his.

5. The murderer exhibited extreme antisocial behavior and had a hatred for his mother.

6. Violent crime is at an all time low and gun ownership has increased dramatically. It's interesting to note that during the years in which Washington D.C. passed a handgun ban and trigger lock law, the murder rate averaged 73% higher than it was at the outset of the law. While the US murder rate averaged 11% lower the average. http://www.justfacts.../guncontrol.asp

I fail to see how stricter gun laws would have prohibited this from happening.

There is a market for everything. The only thing gun control will do is keep the guns in the hands of people who want to commit violent crimes with firearms while keeping them out of the hands of the honest American who understands the responsibility of owning and operating a firearm.

Guns become a target because they're something concrete and tangible that the news outlets can use to direct Americans' blame. It's much harder to point the fingers to something intangible like a mental illness,which requires thought and intelligence to solve. Instead, we get the finger pointing in the easiest and dumbest way possible.

Guns have been around since elementary schools have been around. 60 years ago, I'm not aware of any shooting such as this ever occurring.

Have guns changed, or have people changed?

• Fire 1