Gun Control

Roark

20 some kids at a Chinese school were attacked with a knife.

There have been several heinous murders committed with hammers.

How many people were killed in the attack in China? I heard 0.

27 people were killed Friday in Newtown. Not even a remotely valid comparison.

I'm sure "several" murders have been committed with hammers. However, the hammer's purpose isn't to kill. The Bushmaster semiautomatic rifle and the Glock and Sig saur handguns? They were designed to kill.

• Fire 1

Banning all guns is not the answer. But having a more rigorous and extensive background check on people who own or plan on owning a firearm is a possible solution.

I've not seen many people suggest a complete ban on guns. Why everyone wants to immediately suggest otherwise, I don't understand. What I have seen people suggest is that a weapon like a .223 semiautomatic Bushmaster Rifle, with a clip that carries 20 or 50 rounds, should be banned.

bushmaster223_0.jpg

You're citing the U.N. via wikipedia. I'm a little concerned about the UN and their track record.

Use the statistics from the FBI. Easily obtained by typing www.fbi.gov

Unless you don't trust our government, just sayin'

I love how everyone's first reaction to a statistic they don't like is to bitch about the source. Feel free to cite something that disagrees with my post, and we can discuss it.

• Fire 2

Meanwhile, at an elementary school in Israel, all is calm....

Not that I would want it to come to this, but wonder how brave this guy would of been knowing the Kindergarten teacher would of blown his head off the second he pull a gun.

1. He killed himself. I don't think he was afraid to die.

2. How many students die in the crossfire?

3. If he knows the teacher is armed, he shoots the teacher before she can fire, then goes about the rest of what he wants to do. Easy as that.

Unless you are suggested we arm 6 year olds, I don't think this would have changed a damn thing.

• Fire 2

Banning all guns is not the answer. But having a more rigorous and extensive background check on people who own or plan on owning a firearm is a possible solution.

I've not seen many people suggest a complete ban on guns. Why everyone wants to immediately suggest otherwise, I don't understand. What I have seen people suggest is that a weapon like a .223 semiautomatic Bushmaster Rifle, with a clip that carries 20 or 50 rounds, should be banned.

bushmaster223_0.jpg

Why ban that? Rifles are only used in 4% of gun crimes. Hand guns are used the vast majority of the time.

Not that I would want it to come to this, but wonder how brave this guy would of been knowing the Kindergarten teacher would of blown his head off the second he pull a gun.

3. If he knows the teacher is armed, he shoots the teacher before she can fire, then goes about the rest of what he wants to do. Easy as that.

Unless you are suggested we arm 6 year olds, I don't think this would have changed a damn thing.

Based on what? If all the teachers were armed, you think he would of killed as many as he did? Or even tried it?

bushmaster223_0.jpg

Why ban that? Rifles are only used in 4% of gun crimes. Hand guns are used the vast majority of the time.

I'm for a ban on all semiautomatic and automatic weapons. I can't fathom a legitimate reason as to why someone would need a semi-automatic rifle with two 30 round magazines.

FYI - that is the same rifle used by the DC area snipers.

I never actually said I disagreed with your statistics Junior. I just feel that the FBI statistics would be directly from the source compiling the statistics given error by various municipalities/states, etc.. Does the UN give out how they compiled their statistics??

I actually agree with those statistics for the most part. Israel has a proven track record. Much better than even Switzerland which has more guns per capita than almost anyone.

Not to say that the Washington Post would EVAH skew anything to meet their agenda.

I also believe the Bushmaster that the murderers used in DC was stolen.

I'm for a ban on Alcohol, heroin and meth. Those are the big three that kill way more people than guns every single year. Oh wait, there are restrictive laws on those three drugs. Heavens to betsy.

Based on what? If all the teachers were armed, you think he would of killed as many as he did? Or even tried it?

Yes. He kills the teacher in the classroom first, kills the students in the classroom, all before anyone else with a gun is able to figure out what is going on. Because with the weapons he had, he can kill 30 people in 5 minutes.

Junior - You've mentioned your concern for firearms but you really haven't actually contributed an opinion to how you would go about gun control.