Terry Joseph....Alabama

The problem isn't our headcoach pay, its our assistant pay...specifically the coordinators. And that's a direct result of the quality of coordinators Bo chose to hire.

Obviously, some big name programs are trying to poach our coaching staff ... and that's a direct result of the quality of coordinators Bo chose to hire.

The Athletic Department needs to open the checkbook.

No one is steeling JP or Beck - and I guarantee you if you ask Joseph he isn't going to attribute his hiring to JP's tutoring the last year. Look at Alabama's staff, with over $1 million going to one of the best DCs in the game. Or Auburn paying $1 million to Gus, or Washington a boatload to Tosh, or USC Ogeron. It's where we have to go if we want to compete - we can't continue to train up coaches to watch them get cherry picked from the staff once they finally start reaching their potential. If we're going to turn the staff over, they have to hit the ground running so we get 100% from them from day 1. That's where college football is going. We need to get on board.

Again chris, we're not being cheap because we have to be. We're being cheap because that's what the assistants likely merit given their resume and those are Bo's guys (and I don't know if we're being *that* cheap). It doesn't mean it isn't an issue, but it also doesn't mean if Bo decides to hire the splash guys that he'll be able to work with them.

Also, JP has had more than one opportunity to leave and didn't take it. IMO, we should be bordering on extremely worried about losing Beck in the next few years. He will have opportunities -- HC ones even.

Again chris, we're not being cheap because we have to be. We're being cheap because that's what the assistants likely merit given their resume and those are Bo's guys (and I don't know if we're being *that* cheap). It doesn't mean it isn't an issue, but it also doesn't mean if Bo decides to hire the splash guys that he'll be able to work with them.

Also, JP has had more than one opportunity to leave and didn't take it. IMO, we should be bordering on extremely worried about losing Beck in the next few years. He will have opportunities -- HC ones even.

I don't think we're cheap because we have to be - I just think we're cheap. As you said, these assistants merit what the market demands of them. No one is chasing JP for 750k, so that's why he's not making it. But if someone comes after Joseph for 350k, we'd better not hesitate to write that check. And if Beck leave for a 600k coordinator position we'd better be damn pissed we didn't step up to meet that after investing all these years to get him to that point. Everyone on this board calls it a "splash" hire - but the reason it's a "splash" is because it's a game-changer for a program. It's someone that will add a couple difference makes to your recruiting class every year, or it's someone who's figured out how to keep the Ohio State's and Wisconsin's from hanging 70 points on your a$$.

• Fire 1

I'm not sure if you are looking at this from the $ angle only -- I don't think that's even a consideration, it's just the guys Bo is familiar with and likes to work with. Or wants to give opportunities to. Some of the best coaches routinely go in-house and develop quite a coaching tree. I agree that we do what it takes to keep the top guys that are valuable to the staff and need to be kept. Will Muschamp went after JP for instance and I forget if we bumped his pay or not, but obviously it was made clear to him that he was on the up and up. And he'd become our DC in the next offseason.

I think the greater concern - which may or may not bear out to be valid - is as Sam McKewon said, to paraphrase -- we're not paying Bo millions to have him run a graduate school for football coaches. It's great that he gives a lot of these guys opportunity, but I think criticism of too much loyalty sometimes is fair.

If we want to be an elite program, you need to pay like one. If we do not pay Joseph to stay, that will speak volumes about this program IMO. None of it good.

Devils advocate here...........Say we pay Joseph whatever it takes to keep him. And that is more than other "tenured" or experienced assistants are pulling in. What is the risk to staff harmony/longevity etc. ?

Or are we saying basically.........."the market decides totally".........those in demand require more resources, the rest either raise your profile or get passed by?

I cant find this info anywhere before you all start freaking lets see an article with this info in it.

have you ever seen a article discussing coaching change come out that doesn't start with "such and such had named whoever as the new whatever position coach" -- sorry, but you aren't going to find articles with Saban quotes talking about his desire to hire Joseph. the article you're looking for will be to confirm it's already happened, or there won't be an article at all.

If we want to be an elite program, you need to pay like one. If we do not pay Joseph to stay, that will speak volumes about this program IMO. None of it good.

Devils advocate here...........Say we pay Joseph whatever it takes to keep him. And that is more than other "tenured" or experienced assistants are pulling in. What is the risk to staff harmony/longevity etc. ?

Or are we saying basically.........."the market decides totally".........those in demand require more resources, the rest either raise your profile or get passed by?

I've made more money than my boss more than once in my career. It's not uncommon anywhere else, and if it causes issues on the staff then they've got bigger issues than a few bucks. They should all be concerned about doing whatever it takes to put themselves (as a team) in the best position to win. If they aren't, then they need to pack up their crap...

I used the word rumor because i never saw am official report on it so I'm not comfortable spreading the story. But...i have no reason to doubt the story.

At the time, the "rumor" I heard was pretty reasonable for his firing. And, it was a pretty believable rumor. Nothing necessarily to do with his job other than it was a situation that is not in line with the ethics we want in our coaching staff.

Sanders will not be back at Nebraska. Very sad because he seemed to be very good at what he did and the kids seemed to like him.

However, I think TJ is just as good and coaches a very similar type of DB play. Bo just needs to keep TJ.

Yes, it was pretty strong for just being labeled a "rumor". It also had decent legs and multiple sources.

Now with a new A.D. and the passage of time, perhaps some things would be different, but my guess it that we will not see Sanders back in Lincoln. And that's a shame because he is a great coach.

Higher demand for a coach means you need to open the pocketbook a little more. I haven't heard anyone say that Bama or Oregon or USC is coming after Barney Cotton and trying to take him away from us. I wish they would though.

I don't see the problem there. If you want to get paid more and have that bargaining right, earn it by being so good you get other offers, and still have the current school want to keep you when you do. It's pretty meritocratic.

• Fire 1

pay the man and make it incentive based. top 25 secondary give him another 20k.top 15 secondary another 20K. top 10 secondary another 20k. top 5 secondary another 20k.... make them earn their salary rather than arbitrarily giving them a raise. i think Les Miles salary has gone up almost 35% since michigan and arkansas have offered him over the last 5 years...just saying....a trip to the BCS title game will pay for all of this! keep your talent and pay your talent otherwise someone else will!