Syria

Has any UN talks been started to discuss what the next step is for Syria?

Not that I've heard, because the U.N. has the uncanny ability to suck and blow, at the same time...

That and the west really does not want to get into another decade long military involvement in that part of the world. Well, the people at large don't, there are a number of politicians and their donors would be all for it.

Has any UN talks been started to discuss what the next step is for Syria?

Not that I've heard, because the U.N. has the uncanny ability to suck and blow, at the same time...

That and the west really does not want to get into another decade long military involvement in that part of the world. Well, the people at large don't, there are a number of politicians and their donors would be all for it.

This is a job for the U.N.

The only way the U.S. military should be involved, is if they want us to go in there, and f*ck everybody up, and not hang around to make sure these a'holes are going to play nice...

And now, after Israel has launched that strike, if we put troops on the ground, the POTUS would be making a dipsh*t move of Callahan like proportions...

Yep. We are going to have to wait this out a while before getting any further involved or else there will be big problems region wide.

If it were up to me, I'd hope they'd wipe each other out...

I know though, it's not that easy. Syria used to have some pretty strong ties with Russia, so seeing them take an interest in the area wouldn't suprise me. Also, if every one in that region, somehow set aside their differences, and decided to go f*ck up Israel, you know they'd come screaming to us for help. And don't forget Iran, cause you can bet trying to figure out a way to get themselves involved in all this...

President Obama on Syria:

And what we now have is evidence that chemical weapons have been used inside of Syria, but we don't know how they were used, when they were used, who used them; we don't have chain of custody that establishes what exactly happened.

And when I am making decisions about America's national security and the potential for taking additional action in response to chemical weapon use, I've got to make sure I've got the facts.

That's what the American people would expect. And if we end up rushing to judgment without hard, effective evidence, then we can find ourselves in the position where we can't mobilize the international community to support what we do. There may be objections even among some people in the region who are sympathetic with the opposition if we take action. So, you know, it's important for us to do this in a prudent way.

​And what I've said to my team is, we've got to do everything we can to investigate and establish with some certainty what exactly has happened in Syria, what is happening in Syria. We will use all the assets and resources that we have at our disposal. We'll work with the neighboring countries to see whether we can establish a clear baseline of facts. And we've also called on the United Nations to investigate.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/president-obamas-april-30-2013-news-conference-transcript/2013/04/30/0edc67b0-b1a3-11e2-baf7-5bc2a9dc6f44_story_1.html

President Obama on Syria:

And what we now have is evidence that chemical weapons have been used inside of Syria, but we don't know how they were used, when they were used, who used them; we don't have chain of custody that establishes what exactly happened.

And when I am making decisions about America's national security and the potential for taking additional action in response to chemical weapon use, I've got to make sure I've got the facts.

That's what the American people would expect. And if we end up rushing to judgment without hard, effective evidence, then we can find ourselves in the position where we can't mobilize the international community to support what we do. There may be objections even among some people in the region who are sympathetic with the opposition if we take action. So, you know, it's important for us to do this in a prudent way.

​And what I've said to my team is, we've got to do everything we can to investigate and establish with some certainty what exactly has happened in Syria, what is happening in Syria. We will use all the assets and resources that we have at our disposal. We'll work with the neighboring countries to see whether we can establish a clear baseline of facts. And we've also called on the United Nations to investigate.

http://www.washingto...44_story_1.html

US still not sure who used chem weapons

http://news.yahoo.co...-150858303.html

This statement doesn't say much for the current state of affairs of our intel gathering community...

From Turkey's Prime Minister:

Turkey's prime minister is charging that the Syrian government has used chemical weapons against its people and has called on the U.S. to take stronger action, he told NBC News' Ann Curry in an exclusive interview Thursday.

"It is clear the regime has used chemical weapons and missiles," Turkish premier Recep Tayyip Erdogan said.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/09/18148044-exclusive-turkish-pm-erdogan-syria-has-crossed-red-line-used-chemical-weapons?lite

Any U.S. direct military involvement Syria could precipitate a much larger war. Syria has long been a puppet of both Russia and Iran. Removing Syrian the government with American boots on the ground will lead to destabilization of the region.