DE Harrison Phillips [Stanford - Signed LOI]

Why hasn't Nebraska offered?

Because other than K-State, no other major schools have offered. So they are waiting to see what the competition level to get him will be.

I highly doubt this is true. This staff has clearly made offers to other kids without waiting to gauge "competition". The lack of an offer at this point indicates to me that either the coaches want to see more (at camp this summer or on the field this fall) or they have other prospects rated higher at his position and want to see how it goes with the plan A kids first.

This is my guess. As an in-state prospect, I think they have more time to evaluate other prospects without worrying about losing out on Phillips.

• Fire 1

I can't believe Nebraska hasn't offered this kid yet? It's frustrating that we don't seal the deal on our home state talent early on before others nationally get into the mix!? He's a champion wrestler and although Phillips is a D-lineman, I specifically remember John Garrison recently giving a scholarship offer to a O-line recruit who hasn't played football very long but is a champion wrestler where he's from because, according to Garrison, wrestlers use their hands well and they have quick feet which can easily be used to turn a raw kid into an excellent lineman. With that said.... what the hell are we waiting for?

Because other than K-State, no other major schools have offered. So they are waiting to see what the competition level to get him will be.

I highly doubt this is true. This staff has clearly made offers to other kids without waiting to gauge "competition". The lack of an offer at this point indicates to me that either the coaches want to see more (at camp this summer or on the field this fall) or they have other prospects rated higher at his position and want to see how it goes with the plan A kids first.

This is my guess. As an in-state prospect, I think they have more time to evaluate other prospects without worrying about losing out on Phillips.

I understand what you are saying, but if this is true, then this is disturbing! We should never treat any in-state player any differently than any other recruit! I think it shows a hint of disrespect and arrogance on the programs part to do so. The concept of being able to wait because a kid is from Nebraska is ridiculous to me! Get the kid on board and seal the deal! One less recruiting worry there is. A 3 star in state kid who has the heart to be a husker is equal or probably better than a high profile 4 star recruit for sure and maybe the rare 5 star rated players who are more likely to be more so about themselves and their own future than the teams! We have seen a bit of this the last 2 years with linemen leaving because they weren't GIVEN the starting job but rather had to earn it!

I understand what you are saying, but if this is true, then this is disturbing! We should never treat any in-state player any differently than any other recruit! I think it shows a hint of disrespect and arrogance on the programs part to do so. The concept of being able to wait because a kid is from Nebraska is ridiculous to me! Get the kid on board and seal the deal! One less recruiting worry there is. A 3 star in state kid who has the heart to be a husker is equal or probably better than a high profile 4 star recruit for sure and maybe the rare 5 star rated players who are more likely to be more so about themselves and their own future than the teams! We have seen a bit of this the last 2 years with linemen leaving because they weren't GIVEN the starting job but rather had to earn it!

I get what your saying and your right but it doesn't matter where they are from if they are 4th or 5th down the list on the board. If they were 1st 2nd or 3rd they would have an offer regardless of location, ie dj foster. You can't just give a kid the scholarship because he's from your home state. You need to try with the elite talent first, the guys that can come in and play in a year or two instead of 3 or 4.

• Fire 1

In response (to Fowler) whom I respect, I understand what your saying as well, but where our line of thinking on recruiting differs, I believe, is on the value of our home state talent. I know there are always going to be higher rated position players from around the country ie; the 1st, 2nd, maybe 3rd highest rated players on the Husker board you are referring to. But, my point is unless every one of those higher rated guys are 5 stars, which we all know they aren't and most likely none are rated 5 stars, then this home town kid should be offered because more than likely, he has grown up a Husker fan and having done so, gives him the bigger heart to perform as a Husker and develop into that Husker All-American or All Conference 1st team player we have so often seen in the past! Bottom line, in MY OPINION is, this kid is worth the scholarship taken up that the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd better rated players that sit higher on our recruiting board are! Husker history has shown that the Nebraska kid growing up idolizing the Huskers and have been dreaming of playing for the Huskers all their lives, many times turn out to be one of the best players on the team year in and year out! It's a proven fact, with years of proof! Look at Jake Long for example... this guy was a walk-on and not as highly thought of as Harrison Phillips coming out of high school but has turned into one of our best 0-lineman on the team if not the best! Plus this kid (Phillips) is as athletic as they come with his performance scores that he recently posted!

• Fire 1

In response (to Fowler) whom I respect, I understand what your saying as well, but where our line of thinking on recruiting differs, I believe, is on the value of our home state talent. I know there are always going to be higher rated position players from around the country ie; the 1st, 2nd, maybe 3rd highest rated players on the Husker board you are referring to. But, my point is unless every one of those higher rated guys are 5 stars, which we all know they aren't and most likely none are rated 5 stars, then this home town kid should be offered because more than likely, he has grown up a Husker fan and having done so, gives him the bigger heart to perform as a Husker and develop into that Husker All-American or All Conference 1st team player we have so often seen in the past! Bottom line, in MY OPINION is, this kid is worth the scholarship taken up that the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd better rated players that sit higher on our recruiting board are! Husker history has shown that the Nebraska kid growing up idolizing the Huskers and have been dreaming of playing for the Huskers all their lives, many times turn out to be one of the best players on the team year in and year out! It's a proven fact, with years of proof! Look at Jake Long for example... this guy was a walk-on and not as highly thought of as Harrison Phillips coming out of high school but has turned into one of our best 0-lineman on the team if not the best! Plus this kid (Phillips) is as athletic as they come with his performance scores that he recently posted!

Wow! My mind has been stolen for a short time while you posted this. We couldn't agree more.

• Fire 2

While I agree Phillips should receive an offer, I think Peyton Newell and Billy Hirschfeld are higher on Nebraska's list. They only need two DE in this class. Slow-playing Phillips (and telling him they want to keep evaluating him) is better than offering a non-commitable offer.

While we should not ignor our instate talent, it isn't like our kids on the team from other states now don't have the aspirations of being All-Americans. If that isn't the objective of every kid we recruit then I don't want them on the team.

From the day Kenny Bell committed he bled Husker Red just as much as every one of us. That I know firsthand.

While we should not ignor our instate talent, it isn't like our kids on the team from other states now don't have the aspirations of being All-Americans. If that isn't the objective of every kid we recruit then I don't want them on the team.

From the day Kenny Bell committed he bled Husker Red just as much as every one of us. That I know firsthand.

EZ is pretty spot on.

Look, for every Jake Long there are ten walk-ons from Nebraska that never do a thing. Do you really think that a kid that gets a scholly to NU and is from, say, Florida, thinks "Well, I am going to try hard, but, not as hard as I can, I mean, being an All American would be great but it would be even better if I could be an All American at Florida"

Working hard is a "want to" thing, you either want to or you don't. The in-state thing might play a small part, but, that is it.

Harvard, Yale, and, now, UPenn. Good for you, young man.

I know the lure of big time ball is huge but how do you turn down these schollies? Wait for Stanford, I guess. The 30 year old SkerChicago, with nothing but hindsight, says jump for it.

Agreed, the NFL will draft you if you are good, but to turn down a huge financial packet from Harvard or Yale, well, that would be tough.