Does anyone else think our O-line would play better if we just slowed this damn tempo down a little bit. I know fast break offenses are stressful for defense, but an offense has it's handful of 300+ pound guys going fast break too. I'm not suggesting we scrap the no-huddle, but should we slow down our pace a little? Would this in turn helf the defense too?

It's certainly something to think about. On top of that, running 20% more plays per game increases the likelihood of an injury by at least 20% (which we've obviously had a lot of problems with), if not more because they are more likely to occur when they're gassed.

I am absolutely one that thinks it would have helped the defense at times this year. I've mentioned numerous times that this offense sometimes is oblivious to the game being played if they aren't on the field. The most obvious example of that was after Braxton's long run against OSU. Beck comes out blazing and Martinez throws a pick, his second one on the night. Offense had already given up 7, then gives up another 7 and we're down 21-17. That was a point where our defense had been winning all game. That was a point where you'd slow it down - let them collect themselves after the failed execution on Miller's run. Instead the offense goes hurry up, messed up and it's game over. We were on the road. Allow your defense to rest and grind out a long drive to swing some of the momentum. I dont' see why every time the other team scores we have to panick and try to rattle off 7 points in 50 seconds.

(not to mention the offensive line returned to the field with back-to-back false start penalties)

His offensive system will NOT work in the NFL. We know this, right? I'm curious to see if he's a good enough coach to adjust his system for the sake of the team's success.

Read-option offenses can, has, and will work in the NFL. It's a matter of keeping your QB healthy year after year.

Ignore me if I'm being too in-depth about this, but here goes...

You say read option offenses can and will work. I say no. I agree the read-option as a play here and there can work, but I think that basing an offense around it will/does not. This all ties into your comment of a healthy qb, which was a huge part of my point that I was dumb enough to leave out. Last with Tebow, Denver based their offense on the read option, and by the end of the year, it was worthless becuase defenses had schemed to it, and because Tebow couldnt really throw. This year, Seattle uses the read option situationally, but Wilson mostly plays from the pocket. He stays healthy. Same with Kapernick. RGIII? They pretty much base their offense in DC on his read option ability and know he's in rehab. The NFL is a pocket-first league and always will be. The only thing I see Kelly's Oregon system works is if like Cowherd said this morning, he loads his roster and multiple run-first/read option qb's for depth.

I think his tempo will work fine. Manning and Brady already do, but they do it from the pocket with their arm.

• Fire 1

The Eagles "restarted" there HC search and still wanted Chip. They gave him more control than they were willing to before, that's why he left. Eagles reached out again and caved in on his demands.

Chip is leaving the program in great shape. The violations probably aren't going to be as bad as people think. Probably a slap on the wrist. Nothing like USC, IMO.

And Helfrich will be promoted most likely, as well as Scott F.

I don't think what Seattle, San Fran, and Washington have been doing is drastically different than what Kelly has been doing at Oregon. He just does it better. It's not like Oregon just runs the zone read all day.

The zone read actually hasn't been a huge part of the offense for the last couple years. They went to the national championship with Darron Thomas, who was not the most mobile QB. They run a lot of sweeps and off tackle plays though. Actually have a very large play book.

Barney? Lol. I figured you would have quoted one of my previous statements about him if you were speaking about him, but he is the only one who comes to mind.

He is our weakest point, but he isn't someone I would fire for Frost. That was what I was stating this whole time. I also don't think he is as bad as some people think. He would be the first person I would let go if it was a "had to" deal.

I think that when we hired . . . what was it? Three? . . . assistants/GAs to help Barney it was pretty obvious that there was a problem.

Barney? Lol. I figured you would have quoted one of my previous statements about him if you were speaking about him, but he is the only one who comes to mind.

He is our weakest point, but he isn't someone I would fire for Frost. That was what I was stating this whole time. I also don't think he is as bad as some people think. He would be the first person I would let go if it was a "had to" deal.

I think that when we hired . . . what was it? Three? . . . assistants/GAs to help Barney it was pretty obvious that there was a problem.

and yet it wasnt unprecedented in the history of nebraska football to have that many coaches help coach the OL.