Count 'Bility    4,782

Things lie this make me want to puke when coaches like Saben act like it's a totally out of line question to ask him repeatedly if he is staying at Alabama.

I heard that when he blew up at Greenberg that morning. Look here Saban, you scumbag. 6 years ago you lied repeatedly before leaving the dolphins for Bama. Other coaches do the same thing. If you wanna be in the limelight, you better be able to handle the limelight. Of course, they all laughed it off. It was ok that Saban did it. It's Bama. It's the SEC. If Bo pulls something like that, he gets roasted.

walksalone    2,500

Kinda surprised somebody from the "anti-Bo" camp hasn't theorized this yet....

Chip Kelly gets shelled in Philly so he can come to Lincoln to replace Bo...

carlfense    2,267

Just because you don't like our coaching staff, doesn't mean I have to as well. Would you get rid of Fisher, Els, Joseph, Kaz, Brown, Papuchis or Beck for him?

Yes to the bold. (Not because I think that they're bad . . .) Plus, I can think of one particular coach that isn't on your list . . .

Let me guess, Bo?? :rolleyes:

Guess again. Not even close . . .

So you would fire these coaches, but you don't think they are bad?

If I could get a better coach . . . yes. You?

And people wonder why we can't find good assistants to come here lol.

Who wonders that?

And people wonder why we can't find good assistants to come here lol.

Who wonders that?

The people who wonder why we can't get "big name" assistants here. The same ones who are always saying we need to fire this and that coach every year or after every game. Not saying pointing this directly at you, just generally speaking.

carlfense    2,267

The people who wonder why we can't get "big name" assistants here. The same ones who are always saying we need to fire this and that coach every year or after every game. Not saying pointing this directly at you, just generally speaking.

I don't think that anyone thinks that we "can't" get big name assistant coaches here. I think that it's fairly obvious that Bo wanted these guys . . .

We've got the money to throw around if Bo wanted to do so. He'd rather have his guys . . . Hopefully it works out for him and for Nebraska.

Also . . . still can't think of the coach that I'm talking about? And if you could hire better assistants, would you?

The Dude    6,631

His offensive system will NOT work in the NFL. We know this, right? I'm curious to see if he's a good enough coach to adjust his system for the sake of the team's success.

Read-option offenses can, has, and will work in the NFL. It's a matter of keeping your QB healthy year after year.

kchusker_chris    1,403

So your suggesting you would fire Garrison and Cotton to hire Frost to coach a position he has no experience at then? That just sounds like a BRILLIANT idea, then we can listen to people like you bitch away the next season because we have an inexperienced assistant who could possibly not even run a top 10 rush offense.

You do realize, when you have a mobile QB, your going to have more sacks and TFL than say, someone who runs a pro style offense, where they stay in the pocket rather than move out, like Taylor does.

you do realize that if you fire 2 guys, you can hire 2 guys right?

and how do you explain KState/Army/GTech/Michigan, etc.

I don't think that anyone thinks that we "can't" get big name assistant coaches here. I think that it's fairly obvious that Bo wanted these guys . . .

We've got the money to throw around if Bo wanted to do so. He'd rather have his guys . . . Hopefully it works out for him and for Nebraska.

Also . . . still can't think of the coach that I'm talking about? And if you could hire better assistants, would you?

Barney? Lol. I figured you would have quoted one of my previous statements about him if you were speaking about him, but he is the only one who comes to mind.

He is our weakest point, but he isn't someone I would fire for Frost. That was what I was stating this whole time. I also don't think he is as bad as some people think. He would be the first person I would let go if it was a "had to" deal.

The Dude    6,631

I think Barney gets a lot more flack than he deserves, but if we could get a better guy to come in, I'm all for it.

That includes any position, up to and including head coach.

kchusker_chris    1,403

Does anyone else think our O-line would play better if we just slowed this damn tempo down a little bit. I know fast break offenses are stressful for defense, but an offense has it's handful of 300+ pound guys going fast break too. I'm not suggesting we scrap the no-huddle, but should we slow down our pace a little? Would this in turn helf the defense too?

It's certainly something to think about. On top of that, running 20% more plays per game increases the likelihood of an injury by at least 20% (which we've obviously had a lot of problems with), if not more because they are more likely to occur when they're gassed.

I am absolutely one that thinks it would have helped the defense at times this year. I've mentioned numerous times that this offense sometimes is oblivious to the game being played if they aren't on the field. The most obvious example of that was after Braxton's long run against OSU. Beck comes out blazing and Martinez throws a pick, his second one on the night. Offense had already given up 7, then gives up another 7 and we're down 21-17. That was a point where our defense had been winning all game. That was a point where you'd slow it down - let them collect themselves after the failed execution on Miller's run. Instead the offense goes hurry up, messed up and it's game over. We were on the road. Allow your defense to rest and grind out a long drive to swing some of the momentum. I dont' see why every time the other team scores we have to panick and try to rattle off 7 points in 50 seconds.

(not to mention the offensive line returned to the field with back-to-back false start penalties)

Count 'Bility    4,782

His offensive system will NOT work in the NFL. We know this, right? I'm curious to see if he's a good enough coach to adjust his system for the sake of the team's success.

Read-option offenses can, has, and will work in the NFL. It's a matter of keeping your QB healthy year after year.

Ignore me if I'm being too in-depth about this, but here goes...

You say read option offenses can and will work. I say no. I agree the read-option as a play here and there can work, but I think that basing an offense around it will/does not. This all ties into your comment of a healthy qb, which was a huge part of my point that I was dumb enough to leave out. Last with Tebow, Denver based their offense on the read option, and by the end of the year, it was worthless becuase defenses had schemed to it, and because Tebow couldnt really throw. This year, Seattle uses the read option situationally, but Wilson mostly plays from the pocket. He stays healthy. Same with Kapernick. RGIII? They pretty much base their offense in DC on his read option ability and know he's in rehab. The NFL is a pocket-first league and always will be. The only thing I see Kelly's Oregon system works is if like Cowherd said this morning, he loads his roster and multiple run-first/read option qb's for depth.

I think his tempo will work fine. Manning and Brady already do, but they do it from the pocket with their arm.

The Dude    6,631

I don't think what Seattle, San Fran, and Washington have been doing is drastically different than what Kelly has been doing at Oregon. He just does it better. It's not like Oregon just runs the zone read all day.

The King    260

The Eagles "restarted" there HC search and still wanted Chip. They gave him more control than they were willing to before, that's why he left. Eagles reached out again and caved in on his demands.

Chip is leaving the program in great shape. The violations probably aren't going to be as bad as people think. Probably a slap on the wrist. Nothing like USC, IMO.

And Helfrich will be promoted most likely, as well as Scott F.

The King    260
I don't think what Seattle, San Fran, and Washington have been doing is drastically different than what Kelly has been doing at Oregon. He just does it better. It's not like Oregon just runs the zone read all day.

The zone read actually hasn't been a huge part of the offense for the last couple years. They went to the national championship with Darron Thomas, who was not the most mobile QB. They run a lot of sweeps and off tackle plays though. Actually have a very large play book.

carlfense    2,267

Barney? Lol. I figured you would have quoted one of my previous statements about him if you were speaking about him, but he is the only one who comes to mind.

He is our weakest point, but he isn't someone I would fire for Frost. That was what I was stating this whole time. I also don't think he is as bad as some people think. He would be the first person I would let go if it was a "had to" deal.

I think that when we hired . . . what was it? Three? . . . assistants/GAs to help Barney it was pretty obvious that there was a problem.

desertshox    236

I think that when we hired . . . what was it? Three? . . . assistants/GAs to help Barney it was pretty obvious that there was a problem.

and yet it wasnt unprecedented in the history of nebraska football to have that many coaches help coach the OL.

Hedley Lamarr    2,215

Kinda surprised somebody from the "anti-Bo" camp hasn't theorized this yet....

Chip Kelly gets shelled in Philly so he can come to Lincoln to replace Bo...

I could think of things much worse than that scenario. I would love to have Chip at NU

Hedley Lamarr    2,215

Did you seriously just bump a thread that's been dead for a week? Damn Hedley, you need to think before you act.

It was the most recent thread here :-D

Count 'Bility    4,782

Did you seriously just bump a thread that's been dead for a week? Damn Hedley, you need to think before you act.

Please tell me this was sarcasm....

It is what it is. I do what I do.

GSG    5,717

Please tell me this was sarcasm...

Hedley Lamarr    2,215

Please tell me this was sarcasm..

Hedley Lamarr    2,215

Are any of these really sarcasm? I mean, or are they just a sarcastic expression of sarcasm that resulted in a sarcastic state of sarcastic sarcasm?

Please tell me this was sarcasm.

GSG    5,717

Are any of these really sarcasm? I mean, or are they just a sarcastic expression of sarcasm that resulted in a sarcastic state of sarcastic sarcasm?

Hedley Lamarr    2,215

Only when you tell me if this was sarcasm will I tell you if that was sarcasm....

TheSker    514

Out of San Francisco.

Here's our chance.

/sarcasm

/kind of

Kelly is one of about a dozen coaches I'd happily take instead of Riley.

ScottyIce    1,833

Out of San Francisco.

Here's our chance.

/sarcasm

/kind of

So Riley is your 13th choice? That's actually not bad, considering the 12 you would list probably aren't coming here ever.

Maybe you should be more positive about him since he is 1 on your list of guys we can get.

Redux    5,390

Out of San Francisco.

Here's our chance.

/sarcasm

/kind of

I would absolutely LOVE to hear your list.

gorp512    99

It's actually a rare opportunity to upgrade the offense in one move. Bring Kelly in for a year as an associate head coach, director of offensive, whatever. The Eagles and 49ers are still paying him. He'd be a value and bring some sound ideas and life to the program. He and Riley are friends. Do it!!!

teachercd    3,068

You are not doing your job as AD of a place like Nebraska if you do not look into a top 10 CFB that just became available. Unless you feel the current coach you have is better. But if there is any doubt at all...you have to do your job and look into Kelly.

It would be like having a salesman on your staff that sells 150K a year...with a salesman that is now available that can sell 300K a year...you gotta look into it.

Xmas32    347

I would love to see Kelly come here.

You are not doing your job as AD of a place like Nebraska if you do not look into a top 10 CFB that just became available. Unless you feel the current coach you have is better. But if there is any doubt at all...you have to do your job and look into Kelly.

It would be like having a salesman on your staff that sells 150K a year...with a salesman that is now available that can sell 1.5mm a year...you gotta look into it.

FIFY

If I had any inkling that Nebraska would actually sack up and pay $5mm+/yr for a HC I'd give this some semblance of thought.

admo    874

NO MORE OREGON'S! :lol:

Actually if he ever cared a lick about defense.... But his offense, man.

I don't think his face paced, speed and gimmicky ways would knock off tOSU or Michigan. League is too cold and physical for his style.

Redux    5,390

Riley just went 9-3. If anyone here ACTUALLY believes he is going to be let go so we can hire Kelly....man I feel sorry for you.

Mavric    9,824

Riley just went 9-3. If anyone here ACTUALLY believes he is going to be let go so we can hire Kelly....man I feel sorry for you.

*9-4

teachercd    3,068

Yeah Nebraska would never get rid of the nine win Coach

Honestly though 1995 if you were the athletic director and Chip Kelly becomes available even if you have the coach you hired and he has done exactly what Riley has done so far are you really not thinking a little bit about maybe seeing if 'Kelly is interested?

Mavric    9,824

Yes, 9-4 including post-season. Changes nothing.

I highly doubt anyone believes that Eichorst will fire Riley now.

Whether he should or not is an entirely different discussion.

TonyStalloni    565

Chip is certainly an offensive talent but if he came here as co-OC do we have a Qb in the system that could run his style? Not saying he couldn't attract one to enroll but what would we do with the 2 we already have and Gebbia who is committed? If he did come here would he stay more than a year or two? Would his system be effective in the BIG 10? Lots of unanswered questions