Kicker Transferring In?

I'm pretty confident in Bondi...imho, he's a great kicker and we're in good hands.

He's kicking off a tee in that video. There is not a 1:1 relationship between ability to kick off a tee and the ground. The guy who can kick it the farthest off a tee isn't necessarily the guy who can kick it the farthest off the ground. Same goes for accuracy. Everything is more difficult off the ground, and if you'd ever actually watch Boondi kick it's pretty evident he's not even close to of the quality that video shows (which, mind you, has probably edited out all his pylon-shanks).

An L bracket is not a T....but let's say you're right...let's say a small plastic/wooden flat surface that isn't invisible shows up under the ball on that video...even with that, he kicked 62 yards AS A SOPHOMORE IN HIGH SCHOOL.

How is it again that after going to Nebraska he somehow has less leg than that? How again does he REGRESS from 2009 until today?

What on earth are you talking about? The football he's kicking is not touching the ground.

guidokick_zps4aac9df1.jpg

See that black thing the football is on?

pG01-6523944dt.jpg

He isn't kicking the ball off the ground, which makes it 10x easier.

Either way (with or without the Tee) ...62 yards as a 15 or 16 year old is pretty awesome. My ignorance doesn't take away from his ability.

The way people talk about him now is that he's lost all of his leg and can't kick at all.

People talk about him that way because we've seen him kick in warmups the last few years. I'm not going to deny that he has a big leg, because he absolutely does. But his accuracy is not very good and he is very, very, very inconsistent.

Either way (with or without the Tee) ...62 yards as a 15 or 16 year old is pretty awesome. My ignorance doesn't take away from his ability.

The way people talk about him now is that he's lost all of his leg and can't kick at all.

People talk about him that way because we've seen him kick in warmups the last few years. I'm not going to deny that he has a big leg, because he absolutely does. But his accuracy is not very good and he is very, very, very inconsistent.

Omg...are you serious? I saw the running backs warm up last year too. Those running backs weren't going full boar and pushing themselves in warm ups...must be crappy running backs.

Nice logic.

Right, since he knew he was only warming up and not in an actual game he decided to miss one of every three kicks 35 yards to the left.

Since you clearly have never actually seen him kick, what makes you think he's going to be so great? That he made a 62 yard FG off a tee in high school? This isn't high school anymore, and he needs to be able to kick successfully with a snap, hold, and off the ground. If you'd actually watch him do these things, you'd realize he isn't the second coming of Alex Henery. He has a big leg but would be one of the most inaccurate kickers Nebraska has had in at least 10 years.

This kid comes to play collegiate sports to improve...not regress. If you think he hasn't gotten stronger and any better at all then when he was 15...then you have no idea what college football is about

For the last time, he was kicking off a tee in a controlled environment. I'm sure he has improved. Kicking a 50 yard FG with a snap and hold off the ground is far more difficult than what you saw in that video.

....every single year these kids get stronger and 90% of them improve on their abilities over the 4 years they play. Bondi is no exception.

If improving is what football is about, then why do you say 10% don't improve? And why do you automatically assume Bondi will improve without providing any reasoning? Just because you can scream "I'm right!" over and over again doesn't mean you are unless you figure out a way to prove it.

You have no idea who I am or what I've seen. You need to step off your all knowing pedestal for a few moments and think. When kickers warm up...they're testing how a ball flies. Some hook kicks on purpose to see how their it pulls in the elements of the day...either way, you're basing your entire argument on him warming up...and that's just sad.

You are correct, a kicker does test how the ball flies when warming up. They tinker with loft to see how low they have to hit it to avoid extra wind exposure. But they do not "hook kicks on purpose". You don't hook a football. Not when it's windy, not in a dome, not ever. You want to kick a FG end-over-end, and the farther you deviate from that the shorter the ball will travel no matter how hard you kick it. Go spend 20 minutes trying to kick a football and you'd realize that.

I'm not saying he's the second coming of Alex Henery...I'm saying he's on scholarship because he's a good kicker. I'm saying he needs the benefit of the doubt before everyone writes him off without him even performing the job.

Sure, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I certainly don't expect him to be a complete bust or anything, as I'm sure he'll be a solid kicker inside 40. He just needs to work on consistency outside that range. And on your scholarship point, Adi Kunalic was also a scholarship kicker with a big leg who also had trouble with accuracy. Just because you're on scholarship doesn't mean you're a great placekicker. Maybe he's going to be great at kickoffs or punting? It says nothing about his ability to kick FGs.

I will tell you this...your post gives the impression that you know the future...so could you buy me some lottery tickets since you have it all figured out?

4-8-15-16-23-42

Right, since he knew he was only warming up and not in an actual game he decided to miss one of every three kicks 35 yards to the left.

Since you clearly have never actually seen him kick, what makes you think he's going to be so great? That he made a 62 yard FG off a tee in high school? This isn't high school anymore, and he needs to be able to kick successfully with a snap, hold, and off the ground. If you'd actually watch him do these things, you'd realize he isn't the second coming of Alex Henery. He has a big leg but would be one of the most inaccurate kickers Nebraska has had in at least 10 years.

This kid comes to play collegiate sports to improve...not regress. If you think he hasn't gotten stronger and any better at all then when he was 15...then you have no idea what college football is about....every single year these kids get stronger and 90% of them improve on their abilities over the 4 years they play. Bondi is no exception.

You have no idea who I am or what I've seen. You need to step off your all knowing pedestal for a few moments and think. When kickers warm up...they're testing how a ball flies. Some hook kicks on purpose to see how their it pulls in the elements of the day...either way, you're basing your entire argument on him warming up...and that's just sad.

I'm not saying he's the second coming of Alex Henery...I'm saying he's on scholarship because he's a good kicker. I'm saying he needs the benefit of the doubt before everyone writes him off without him even performing the job.

I will tell you this...your post gives the impression that you know the future...so could you buy me some lottery tickets since you have it all figured out?

I don't want to get into this argument but I will offer a few thoughts involving this scuffle.

1. Donovan Vestal, Walker Ashburn, Jay Guy are all on scholarship. Does that mean they are good D-lineman? Not everyone on scholarship is on it because they are studs, there are busts and until we see Bondi in action, there is no way to prove he great, average, or bad kicker.

2. Kicking is so mental, that it can't be compared to other position in terms of regression the same way you could say a QB. Take Maher for example, he kicked and punted lights out his junior year and really struggled the first half of his senior year. It wasn't because he regressed, it was just a mental barrier that caused him to miss kicks and shank punts he shouldn't have. So even though Bondi may have gotten bigger, faster, stronger; accuracy in kicking cannot be equated in a cumulative fashion in terms of "the more you practice the more perfect you will become." His success when he was 16 doesn't fully equate to his success now. Especially considering the controlled environment he was kicking in when he was 16.

3. Kickers do not miss kicks on purpose, or miss-hit kicks on purpose. They want to see how the wind and the elements manipulate ball flight, but they don't just shank kicks for the fun of it to see what happens. Think of it like being on a practice green in golf. You want to read the green and putt the ball in order to make it in. But you still try to make it. If you miss it wide left, then you make adjustments accordingly. You don't just putt randomly away from the hole for no reason as you imply Bondi does with hooking his balls in warm-ups.

Apparently Mr. Smith is making headlines:

http://deadspin.com/...the-huskers-are

It didn't take long for Patrick Smith to figure out just how much University of Nebraska football means to the entire state.

Last weekend, while on his way to visit the Lincoln, Neb., campus, Smith was pulled over by a Nebraska state trooper shortly after crossing the border from Iowa.

Asked where he was headed, Smith explained he was exploring the possibility of transferring from Western Illinois University and making this his official visit to the Big Ten Conference school.

"He took my insurance card and went back to his car," said Smith, a kicker and punter who recently completed his junior season at WIU as one of 10 finalists for the Fred Mitchell Outstanding Place-Kicker Award. "He then waved me back to his car. We spent about 15 minutes talking about the Huskers."

Smith then walked away with a written warning and an idea of what the rest of the visit would be like.

"It made an impression," Smith said.

LINK

That's the coolest thing I've ever heard of a Nebr state trooper doing. Usually we only hear about them throwing one of our guys in the pokey for drunkardness. :lol:

/jacked from GSG's status update.

Surprised nobody caught this... pretty funny if it's true

http://sports.yahoo....439--ncaaf.html

:D

I'm pretty confident in Bondi...imho, he's a great kicker and we're in good hands.

He's kicking off a tee in that video. There is not a 1:1 relationship between ability to kick off a tee and the ground. The guy who can kick it the farthest off a tee isn't necessarily the guy who can kick it the farthest off the ground. Same goes for accuracy. Everything is more difficult off the ground, and if you'd ever actually watch Boondi kick it's pretty evident he's not even close to of the quality that video shows (which, mind you, has probably edited out all his pylon-shanks).

An L bracket is not a T....but let's say you're right...let's say a small plastic/wooden flat surface that isn't invisible shows up under the ball on that video...even with that, he kicked 62 yards AS A SOPHOMORE IN HIGH SCHOOL.

How is it again that after going to Nebraska he somehow has less leg than that? How again does he REGRESS from 2009 until today?

What on earth are you talking about? The football he's kicking is not touching the ground.

pG01-6523944dt.jpg

I understand the screencap is shotty, but if you are saying he is using one of the tees in your post above, I believe you are wrong. I'm not sure if you have ever seen one of those in person, but they are massive. The ball would be a decent amount more off of the ground than it is, based on that photo.

pG01-6523944dt.jpg

I understand the screencap is shotty, but if you are saying he is using one of the tees in your post above, I believe you are wrong. I'm not sure if you have ever seen one of those in person, but they are massive. The ball would be a decent amount more off of the ground than it is, based on that photo.

I think it's probably more like this:

Deluxe_Kicking_Tee.jpg

But it's still a tee, not the ground.

Agreed. They make different sizes of those things, that was just the first result that came up when I googled it. You can use a Gatorade cap or something for a similar effect and it will help immensely.

• 4 months later...