**** Official Hockey Thread **** (NHL & College)

walksalone

Pens 3

Caps 1

Series tied 2-2. Game 5 is Saturday evening in DC. Pretty intense game including this cheap shot at the end from Timothy Jimothy Oshie:

Preds 2

Jets 1

Series tied 2-2. Game 5 is Saturday night at Nashville.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

The second round is shaping out to be REALLY good... I mean it is already really good, but multiple 7 game series.

Anyone think the Caps can overcome past demons?

The Caps outplayed the Pens in the first 2 games pretty handily. But these last 2 games they seem to be getting frustrated and it's taking their focus off the actual game. Ovi didn't even record a shot last night. That's only the 3rd time in his career in the playoffs. As a Pens fan, I hope they implode again because it's just too hilarious. They're one of the best teams almost every year and yet they can't get over the hump (the Pens). The big thing for the Pens is that over the years they've finally learned to ignore all the tough guy bulls#!t and just play. I remember watching some of the series in the past where they would try to retaliate for every little grievance and it took them out. That's what the Caps need to learn, but it's not looking like it will be this year.

1 hour ago, GSG said:

The Caps outplayed the Pens in the first 2 games pretty handily. But these last 2 games they seem to be getting frustrated and it's taking their focus off the actual game. Ovi didn't even record a shot last night. That's only the 3rd time in his career in the playoffs. As a Pens fan, I hope they implode again because it's just too hilarious. They're one of the best teams almost every year and yet they can't get over the hump (the Pens). The big thing for the Pens is that over the years they've finally learned to ignore all the tough guy bulls#!t and just play. I remember watching some of the series in the past where they would try to retaliate for every little grievance and it took them out. That's what the Caps need to learn, but it's not looking like it will be this year.

What you discussed is big if they win this series and were to get Boston. Boston is all about the cheap crap to piss you off.

I would like to see a few new teams fight for the cup, so I wouldnt mind seeing TB or Wash from the East and Winn or LV from the West.

3 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

What you discussed is big if they win this series and were to get Boston. Boston is all about the cheap crap to piss you off.

I would like to see a few new teams fight for the cup, so I wouldnt mind seeing TB or Wash from the East and Winn or LV from the West.

Yeah I wouldn't mind Tampa or any of the West teams. The Caps and their douchebaggery and their fans can go jump in a volcano for all I care.

Honestly, if the Pens hadn't been matched with the Flyers and then the Caps, I wouldn't have been too upset if they had lost.

Weekend recap:

Lightning 4

Bruins 3 OT

Lightning 3

Bruins 1

Tampa Bay wins series 4-1

Knights 5

Sharks 3

Knights 3

Sharks 0

Las Vegas wins the series 4-2

Caps 6

Pens 3

Pens completely s#!t the bed in the 3rd. Washington has a 3-2 lead. Game 6 is tonight in Pittsburgh.

Jets 6

Preds 2

Jets lead the series 3-2. Game 6 tonight in Winnipeg.

• Plus1 1
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, Minnesota_husker said:

You'd think Boston was on some kind of dynastic run considering how they've gotten under everyone's skin.  I have recently been trolled by strangers on Twitter over daring to root for Brad Marchand's team.

When I left Omaha for college, I picked the Bruins (or "Broons" if you're Eddie Olczyk) as my team because a former Lancer was playing for them.  I thought it was sort of fitting that they hadn't won a championship since my Cornhuskers (talking NC, of course) at that time.  Now that I've seen them win, I'm not so anxious about the playoffs.  I have never hated Tampa either...such that the sting of the recent loss could have been a lot worse.  I saw Teemu Selanne get a hat trick (though one goal was off a penalty shot) against them in Expo Hall while on Spring Break.  As it was, I just thought the series should have gone longer but for the most ridiculously one-sided officiating I've seen.  The Bolts played the better hockey, though, so I'm not disputing the result of the series.  I was definitely surprised by TB's ability to "D" up, though, in light of their regular season record along those lines.

24 minutes ago, beorach said:

You'd think Boston was on some kind of dynastic run considering how they've gotten under everyone's skin.  I have recently been trolled by strangers on Twitter over daring to root for Brad Marchand's team.

I dont have any issue with the Bruins. I cant say I like them but certainly dont cheer against them. I think it is league known that the Bruins(Especially the licker, Marchand) play a certain way.

Bruins had enough success to attract the negativity but also most people dont like Boston in most sports.

To me, as a fan, Boston's style of play has generally been one that requires two-way players.  It doesn't matter if you're a Kessel or a Seguin, to use recent examples for demonstration.  This year's squad (of current golfers) had more going forward than I'm used to seeing, though.

When you're opining that it's just understood the B's are dirty, it makes me wonder what you'd write about a team you did have an issue with.  I get that 63 is polarizing and I get why that is (e.g., check this out: Penalty Analysis) but no team will ever be filled with Lady Byng candidates.

Now your regularly scheduled programming:

Caps 2

Pens 1 - OT

Caps win the series 4-2. Barf. Too many turnovers for the Pens. Murray was pretty f'ing good and they blew it.

Preds 4

Jets 0

GAME 7 on Thursday in Nashville!

• Plus1 1

I feel your pain.  When you have a team that seems to be as good as any other during the regular season, it's tough not to think your guys might have left a Stanley Cup on the table.  That's why it's the greatest postseason in sports, though.

For my Bruins, I'll also blame a terrible format.  Having to play the "3" and then the "1" to make the finals was always going to be a tough ask.  I think that Toronto series took a lot out of the B's while Tampa, having earned the right to play the true "8," was able to get some rest.

Jets 5

Preds 1

Jets win the series 4-3.

NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs 2018: Conference Finals schedule, TV info

Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Washington Capitals

Friday, May 11, 8pm: Capitals @ Lightning | NBCSN
Sunday, May 13, 8pm: Capitals @ Lightning | NBCSN
Tuesday, May 15, 8pm: Lightning @ Capitals | NBCSN
Thursday, May 17, 8pm: Lightning @ Capitals | NBCSN
*Saturday, May 19, 7:15pm: Capitals @ Lightning | NBC
*Monday, May 21, 8pm: Lightning @ Capitals | NBCSN
*Wednesday, May 23, 8pm: Capitals @ Lightning | NBCSN

Vegas Golden Knights vs. Winnipeg Jets

Saturday, May 12, 7pm: Golden Knights @ Jets | NBC
Monday, May 14, 8pm: Golden Knights @ Jets | NBCSN
Wednesday, May 16, 9pm: Jets @ Golden Knights | NBCSN
Friday, May 18, 8pm: Jets @ Golden Knights | NBCSN
*Sunday, May 20, 3pm: Golden Knights @ Jets | NBC
*Tuesday, May 22, 9pm: Jets @ Golden Knights | NBCSN
*Thursday, May 24, 8pm: Golden Knights @ Jets | NBCSN

• Plus1 1

I think the Nashville Predators did themselves no favor ahead of the puck drop last night.  First, they had some no-name sing the Canadian national anthem ahead of Sheryl Crow singing the home side's.  Second, they brought out that former Ohio State RB who stole Tommie Frazier's Heisman.  That guy was outplayed by a gimpy Biakabatuka FFS!  TFraz had maybe one less than stellar game against Iowa State (early in his Husker career, mind you) you could maybe call a draw but he was certainly never clearly  bested by his counterpart on the field.  The hockey gods were certainly not pleased.