**** Official Hockey Thread **** (NHL & College)

walksalone

Oh and for you hockey noobs, be prepared to go down an awesome rabbit hole.

John Buccigross is the sole reason why ESPN is bearable anymore because he is seemingly the only guy there that cares about hockey and he knows his stuff. Check out his twitter and his blog posts on ESPN.

Get caught up on lingo: http://espn.go.com/v...clip?id=9011253 and http://espn.go.com/v...egoryid=2378529

Read up on old time hockey, shinny and pond hockey, the legend of the Stanley Cup, and watch the first handful of Winter Classic games...some of the best TV in the history of TV. Especially the first one, that was magical. It was a great game, went to OT, Sydney Crosby wins it in a shootout, all in a perfect light falling snow.

Sorry, I will stop geeking out for a moment. Finding this thread here got me excited for hockey talk.

Nice find...

Glad to have another puck junky around...

Yes it is.

I got my picture taken with the cup before the Finals Av's vs Devils in my Av's #13 Dan Hinote Jersey... Had the entire office, (all devils fans) flipping me off as the pictures were being taken...

Haha, nice. I have had a few run-ins with the cup in the past few years. One memorable time was at the National Special Hockey Tournament (I volunteer) when it was held here in Blaine, MN. So cool to see all the people and the special needs players geek out over the cup.

The other big memorable time was at the US Pond Hockey Championships here a couple of years ago now. I volunteered as a rink attendant and found out the cup was scheduled to be in for a few hours on the final day of the tournament. Weather conditions were horrid (rainy and too warm) for good ice. The ice was plenty thick on the lake but the rain was pooling and creating nasty slush. So they cancelled the final day. We still went back (drove an hour and a half out of the way) to see the cup thinking we could nab a pic or two and beat most of the line. Well it turns out the cancelled tournament resulted in pretty much no one knowing about the cup or showing up to see it (for the ones that heard). So my gf and I pretty much had upwards of two hours unrestricted with the cup and maybe 6 other people (who pretty much only stayed for a few minutes) plus a handler, security guard a few tournament organizer people and Goldie Gopher was there for promotional stuff. The handler said that never happens, there is always a crowd. He was awesome and told us we could pretty much do whatever (save running off and never returning it) with the cup. Frankly I was too scared. Felt like I would break it for how clumsy I am. I didn't even really get "good" cup pictures because I was too busy geeking out over it. So we dinked around getting fun pictures with it (GF and I below), looking it over, the names, the history, yada, yada. Pretty rad.

19871_656329878061_6110642_n.jpg19871_656329908001_3752834_n.jpg

Nice find... Glad to have another puck junky around...

Thanks. Puck junkie, I am.

One thing I forgot to ask, are you a Golden Gopher fan?

They are not my first option when watching sports but I do follow most of their sports teams and attend many Gophers sporting events. If that makes me a fan, then yes I am a fan but like I said they are second to my favorites. It is interesting to watch sports from a different, less successful in most cases, perspective. I went to St. Cloud so apparently that means I am supposed to hate Gopher hockey (and Sioux hockey for that matter) but in all my time I could never really develop that. The trap that the Gophers run and how physical the Sioux are was impressive and even though St. Cloud beat them frequently, it was still impressive to watch how stupid they often made the Huskies look. So I "respectfully dislike" them.

I went to SCSU and saw guys like Matt Hendricks, Matt Cullen was just before I came in, Andreas Nodl, Andrew Gordon, Jonathan Toews, Thomas Vanek, Erik Johnson, Phil Kessel, Kyle Okposo, Matt Niskanen, TJ Oshie, Ryan Suter, Kyle Turris, and so on and so forth play. Not necessarily the "Glory Days" of the WCHA or SCSU but man was it a good time and many good players to watch.

One thing I forgot to ask, are you a Golden Gopher fan?

They are not my first option when watching sports but I do follow most of their sports teams and attend many Gophers sporting events. If that makes me a fan, then yes I am a fan but like I said they are second to my favorites. It is interesting to watch sports from a different, less successful in most cases, perspective. I went to St. Cloud so apparently that means I am supposed to hate Gopher hockey (and Sioux hockey for that matter) but in all my time I could never really develop that. The trap that the Gophers run and how physical the Sioux are was impressive and even though St. Cloud beat them frequently, it was still impressive to watch how stupid they often made the Huskies look. So I "respectfully dislike" them.

I went to SCSU and saw guys like Matt Hendricks, Matt Cullen was just before I came in, Andreas Nodl, Andrew Gordon, Jonathan Toews, Thomas Vanek, Erik Johnson, Phil Kessel, Kyle Okposo, Matt Niskanen, TJ Oshie, Ryan Suter, Kyle Turris, and so on and so forth play. Not necessarily the "Glory Days" of the WCHA or SCSU but man was it a good time and many good players to watch.

glad you're not a gopher fan... they can suck it...

Go Sioux

What is the deal with that. Why don't they spend more time on Hockey?

They're too busy covering this sh#t:

k-bigpic.jpg

http://deadspin.com/...ssues-755522255

about 8 or 10 years ago, 3 or 4 nights a week you'd get two hockey games at 7 and 10pm, and it was glorious...

I think ESPN didn't want to re up the contract so the NHL ended up going to "Versus", if I remember correctly...

Oh, and "Fireman Ed", some folks I know met him, and he's a douchebag of mythical proportions...

I'd pay good money to see someone cross check the sh#t out that douche.

Hit him so hard, it becomes a yard sale... hat, douchebag sunglasses, those stupid shoes, all over the place...

Matt Cooke should put an illegal hit on him. LOL

Make him fight PJ Stock...