Charting Taylor Martinez’s accuracy

The gist of a recent SB Nation study was to determine where quarterbacks threw the ball on the field, and how that affected their completion percentage.

It’s interesting stuff, so read it.

West Virginia’s Geno Smith, for example, threw a whopping 33 percent of his passes behind the line of scrimmage. Those are bubble screens and those jet sweeps where Smith flips the ball three inches forward instead of merely handing the ball off. Smith gets credit for completing a pass that any walk-on on any program in Division II could achieve.

Taylor Martinez threw 12.6 percent of his passes behind the line of scrimmage. I only recall one jet sweep shovel pass — went for a touchdown to Kenny Bell, incidentally, against Idaho State — but there might have been a few more I’ve forgotten. So much of Martinez’s throws behind the LOS were quick flips to Bell or Jamal Turner, the rare traditional screen to a running back, and a couple more common shovel passes to running backs...

http://sports.omaha....inezs-accuracy/

Behind the LOS: 81.8%

0-4 yards: 90.9%

5-9 yards: 75%

10-14 yards: 50%

15-19 yards: 10%

20-24 yards: 16.7%

Are people serious in thinking Taylor could be "an elite QB prospect" in the NFL next year?

I don't think anyone ever said that, I'm pretty sure the majority of fans think he is a good college QB but will make a good WR in the pros.

Behind the LOS: 81.8%

0-4 yards: 90.9%

5-9 yards: 75%

10-14 yards: 50%

15-19 yards: 10%

20-24 yards: 16.7%

Are people serious in thinking Taylor could be "an elite QB prospect" in the NFL next year?

I don't think anyone ever said that, I'm pretty sure the majority of fans think he is a good college QB but will make a good WR in the pros.

Exactly put ADS. I have not heard one person say he could play QB in the Pros. He could be a WR or a KR/PR.

I have always said he was good all the way up to 20 yards out. From there, his accuracy and arm strength plays a huge factor. I mean, the kid has only played QB for 4 years, you can't ask much more from a player who was converted to QB his Senior year in HS and started at Nebraska.

Honestly, if he doesn't learn how to take a hit he wont ever see a down in the NFL.

Oh he knows how to take a hit just fine... I'm surprised he hasn't been taken off the field on a stretcher after some hits. I think most of these hits were in his first two seasons though...

Honestly, if he doesn't learn how to take a hit he wont ever see a down in the NFL.

Oh he knows how to take a hit just fine... I'm surprised he hasn't been taken off the field on a stretcher after some hits. I think most of these hits were in his first two seasons though...

I don't think Lyons is questioning Taylor's toughness, just the manner in which he sets himself up for a tackle. Instead of getting his body in a safe position he tends to get corralled standing straight up, so one guy wraps him up and another comes along and blasts him.

He can clearly take the physical punishment he's had so far. But he can't take hits like that in the NFL. Some Safety is going to come and destroy him if he doesn't learn to get down on the turf.

I don't think Lyons is questioning Taylor's toughness, just the manner in which he sets himself up for a tackle. Instead of getting his body in a safe position he tends to get corralled standing straight up, so one guy wraps him up and another comes along and blasts him.

He can clearly take the physical punishment he's had so far. But he can't take hits like that in the NFL. Some Safety is going to come and destroy him if he doesn't learn to get down on the turf.

Example A:

MARTINEZ-HIT.gif

Example A:

MARTINEZ-HIT.gif

The thing that pisses me off about this stuff is that Taylor has the physical capabilities of punishing defenders. I know a lot of guys on the board have never seen taylor up close, and he doesn't look that big on TV. But I've played ball at the rec with him several times and the guy is a house. His upper body is a rock, I just wish he would learn how to use it.

The thing that pisses me off about this stuff is that Taylor has the physical capabilities of punishing defenders. I know a lot of guys on the board have never seen taylor up close, and he doesn't look that big on TV. But I've played ball at the rec with him several times and the guy is a house. His upper body is a rock, I just wish he would learn how to use it.

You're right about the physical aspect. I think - maybe - they messed with his head & running style when they told him to avoid hits when we were really thin at QB. We couldn't afford to have him get hurt so they tried to convince him to avoid contact, and that gif above was the result.

Last year, when we decided to let him run like a normal human, he blasted through would-be tacklers for first downs on several occasions. I forget which game it was, which fourth-quarter comeback win it was (Penn State?) where Taylor handed the ball to Ameer, Ameer fumbled it, but it bounced right to Taylor so he grabbed it and ran for a first down. Pretty sure he went through a DB for that first down, on third-and-long, on our end of the field. We scored on that drive and won the game.

2011 Taylor likely wouldn't have gotten that first down. 2012 Taylor did what he had to do to make sure we got it.

Example A:

MARTINEZ-HIT.gif

I would say the coaches have alot to do with him not lowering his shoulder and trying to truck cats up and down the field

You're right about the physical aspect. I think - maybe - they messed with his head & running style when they told him to avoid hits when we were really thin at QB. We couldn't afford to have him get hurt so they tried to convince him to avoid contact, and that gif above was the result.

Last year, when we decided to let him run like a normal human, he blasted through would-be tacklers for first downs on several occasions. I forget which game it was, which fourth-quarter comeback win it was (Penn State?) where Taylor handed the ball to Ameer, Ameer fumbled it, but it bounced right to Taylor so he grabbed it and ran for a first down. Pretty sure he went through a DB for that first down, on third-and-long, on our end of the field. We scored on that drive and won the game.

2011 Taylor likely wouldn't have gotten that first down. 2012 Taylor did what he had to do to make sure we got it.

I think that was Wisconsin