The Devaney Center Renovation Project

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are some shots of the Innovation Campus work. First, the controversial Industrial Arts Building, which was originally slated for demolition but which is now being refurbished after preservation groups worked with the University.

CEamX19.jpg

o7Yd0q5.jpg

xgkcpzP.jpg

This is a view from the north, from the race track parking lot, looking south across what used to be the State Fair Midway.

TWUdWSz.jpg

• Fire 1

The interesting thing about that last shot is, you can see all the earth that's been moved to prep for the new streets. As you may remember, if you've been to the Nebraska State Fair back in the day, the main Fair entrance came in from the west, went past the north face of the Devaney Center, then jogged north and then back east. The Chautauqua pavilion was there where the road turned east again (right next to what is now the ice arena where the Stars play).

Well, they're changing that road. Instead of jogging north, you're going to go straight east from the main entrance, cutting through what was the old hill, which they've now dug down into a sloped roadway. It's actually kinda groovy looking, even in the initial stages:

ImyLSIz.jpg

This is from the top of that old little hill road, just as you were emerging onto the Midway, with the food buildings to your right and the race track to your left. The building in this pic is the 4H building, which also being renovated for Innovation Campus:

qD5OKgT.jpg

Same spot as the previous pic, looking west toward Devaney:

XhBqwaE.jpg

The main road, closer to the 4H building. This is the same spot from which I took the Industrial Arts Building pic in the previous post:

mBh1A9l.jpg

• Fire 1

Here are some shots of the Innovation Campus work. First, the controversial Industrial Arts Building, which was originally slated for demolition but which is now being refurbished after preservation groups worked with the University.

Are you sure that isn't considered "demolition"? There's hardly anything left.

I was just going to come here to mention this. When I was driving by yesterday, there is seriously nothing left of that building but the exterior brick walls. It seems like it would cost more to use rather than just tearing them down.

I was just going to come here to mention this. When I was driving by yesterday, there is seriously nothing left of that building but the exterior brick walls. It seems like it would cost more to use rather than just tearing them down.

At its best the IAB was nothing more than a shell, anyway. It was a trapezoid-shaped building with a main floor containing a large, open area surrounded by a few offshoot rooms, with a second-floor balcony above overlooking the open main floor below. The balcony was quite wide, but overall it was a weird-shaped place. So for renovation there wasn't ever much they were going to be able to save of the original structure aside from the outer wall.

Mostly the renovation was done to appease the "Save the IAB!!!" crowd. It wasn't necessary, and a purpose-built structure would have served the needs of the university better, but they got it declared a Historic Landmark (or whatever) and saved it from the wrecking ball.

Here's a decent shot of the old fairgrounds, showing how oddly-shaped this building is.

oRs5j8I.jpg

And here's a link to the "Friends of the IAB" Facebook page with tons of pics of the demolition/renovation.

LINK

At its best the IAB was nothing more than a shell, anyway. It was a trapezoid-shaped building with a main floor containing a large, open area surrounded by a few offshoot rooms, with a second-floor balcony above overlooking the open main floor below. The balcony was quite wide, but overall it was a weird-shaped place. So for renovation there wasn't ever much they were going to be able to save of the original structure aside from the outer wall.

Mostly the renovation was done to appease the "Save the IAB!!!" crowd. It wasn't necessary, and a purpose-built structure would have served the needs of the university better, but they got it declared a Historic Landmark (or whatever) and saved it from the wrecking ball.

Here's a decent shot of the old fairgrounds, showing how oddly-shaped this building is.

oRs5j8I.jpg

And here's a link to the "Friends of the IAB" Facebook page with tons of pics of the demolition/renovation.

LINK

That page is somewhat ridiculous. There are some radicals on there. Any idea why there is such an attachment to that building? Seems a little absurd.