Billy Sianis was asked to leave a Cubs World Series game because his goat (that he brought to the game) smelled. He placed a curse on the Cubs, and now it has over 100 years since the Cubs have won a World Series.

The Red Sox had won five world series prior to 1920 when they sold Babe Ruth. The Red Sox didn’t win another World Series for 86 years after one of Ruth’s bats was purchased by a Red Sox fan and burned.

It has now been 10 years since Frank Solich was fired for letting the team “gravitate into mediocrity”. When Solich was fired in 2003 the Husker’s record was 10 and 3 (0.769). The best record since has been 10 and 4 (0.714). I have a theory that there is a Solich curse. The Huskers will never have a season as good as the 2003 season until the curse is broken. What will it take to break the curse?

Billy Sianis was asked to leave a Cubs World Series game because his goat (that he brought to the game) smelled. He placed a curse on the Cubs, and now it has over 100 years since the Cubs have won a World Series.

The Red Sox had won five world series prior to 1920 when they sold Babe Ruth. The Red Sox didn’t win another World Series for 86 years after one of Ruth’s bats was purchased by a Red Sox fan and burned.

It has now been 10 years since Frank Solich was fired for letting the team “gravitate into mediocrity”. When Solich was fired in 2003 the Husker’s record was 10 and 3 (0.769). The best record since has been 10 and 4 (0.714). I have a theory that there is a Solich curse. The Huskers will never have a season as good as the 2003 season until the curse is broken. What will it take to break the curse?

Talent, good coaching, & great recruiting.

There has to be curse. As soon as the offense became effective the defense fell apart. There are too many fumbles and many of them at critical times in the game. Last minute hail Mary by Virginia Tech. Texas gets an extra second. Bill Calahan becomes available. Kevin Cosgrove is available. There is no way all this happens without a curse. :)

There is a big difference between the Curse of the Billygoat and what has happened at Nebraska.

I happen to be a fan of both teams.

The Cubs have gone through periods in their existence since the Goat was kicked out of the game where they honestly tried like hell to win it all. Something always happened to prevent it.

Nebraska simply was torn completely apart as any semblance of what they were before by Peddy and Cally. It has taken a number of years to get back to that. Some people don't want to see it but we have come a long ways since Cally was fired and our program has gone through one hell of a lot of turmoil with the conference change in that time also. What we need now is stability with a coach that recruits and coaches and motivates the team. I believe we have all of that.

I have a theory that there is a Solich curse. The Huskers will never have a season as good as the 2003 season until the curse is broken. What will it take to break the curse?

This is absolutely correct. The Huskers will never has as good a season as the 2003 season until they have as good a season as the 2003 season. The great "Solich Curse" ;)

I guess the curse was broken in 2009.

My mother in law STRONGLY believes that famous people die in threes.

I told her there was a scientific explanation for why this happens.

She wanted to know why, so I told her "After the 3rd person dies, you start over at one."

She was not amused.

that's just sound logic. it is the 'texas sharp shooter fallacy' or just our availability heuristics.

We are already doing pretty much all of the right things. Our fans and our passion for football is what will always keep Nebraska great. We just have to have patience. I believe that our coaches are great at coaching, and pretty good at recruiting. With the new NCAA rules, maybe we could bring in a non-coaching recruiting staff that works as hard as our coaches, but can really focus on getting the talented kids here.

I'm not so sure about this curse. Did Solich have a goat?