Obama signs Monsanto Protection Act

Anyone- if this picture freaks you out, you will want to stay away any meat product that is not obviously a whole muscle cut. Bologna, lunch meat, hot dogs, many sausages, virtually anything formed in an unnatural shape, etc etc all look very similar to this at some point in the process. Maybe I am just more conditioned to accept it because I know what's in it and how it got there and why it's in that condition. You sure don't have to take my word for it but, I've seen lots nastier stuff than this and I don't avoid any of it because of "this" appearance.

It doesn't freak me out . . . but it is unappetizing. I'm sure the old adage about making sausage is just as applicable today.

And, I'm with ya Carl on the brain and spinal cord. That's what people should be concerned about. Luckily, a lot of effort is expended in packinghouses to keep those items out of edible products.

Yep.

Mad Cow disease? Or just not a fan of the flavor/texture?

A genuine fear of prions. They're probably the most terrifying thing in nature that I can think of.

(The flavor and texture are gross too . . . my great aunt used to pan fry brain. Gross. Decent catfish bait, though.)

CJD has got to be one of the most vicious diseases out there. Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease is similar to Alzheimers, but the brain deteriorates much faster for those wondering. It can be transmitted to humans by eating Mad Cow beef. Fortunately, it is a very, very rare disease and the USDA does a great job of monitoring beef . Still, I have wondered if a cure for Alzheimers could also help those with CJD, because it is more prevalent in other countries with fewer food safeguards

CJD has got to be one of the most vicious diseases out there. Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease is similar to Alzheimers, but the brain deteriorates much faster for those wondering. It can be transmitted to humans by eating Mad Cow beef. Fortunately, it is a very, very rare disease and the USDA does a great job of monitoring beef . Still, I have wondered if a cure for Alzheimers could also help those with CJD, because it is more prevalent in other countries with fewer food safeguards

It's horrifying.

My wife has done autopsies of CJD patients. Neither of us sleep well after those. There's just no way to kill prions . . . :hmmph

The make up of the 'pink slime' was less of the issue. I have seen hamburger being made, its about the same. Its the ammonia treatment that really bothered me. What is happening where it needs that level of disinfection? That is where my problem lies

If the ammonia treatment was only applied to "pink slime" then it would be different. But it's a common disinfectant in food rendering/prep. People just didn't know about it until recently:

Ammonia used in many foods, not just "pink slime"

Surprise rippled across America last month as a new wave of consumers discovered that hamburgers often contained ammonia-treated beef, or what critics dub "pink slime".

What they may not have known is that ammonia - often associated with cleaning products - was cleared by U.S. health officials nearly 40 years ago and is used in making many foods, including cheese. Related compounds have a role in baked goods and chocolate products.

Using small amounts of ammonia to make food is not unusual to those expert in high-tech food production. Now that little known world is coming under increasing pressure from concerned consumers who want to know more about what they are eating.

Which makes you question what was allowed to change in the processing end of things. My mom talks about when she was a kid 'steak tar-tar' which is basically raw hamburger, was common place, now we are warned about how eating raw hamburger might just kill us. There have been many bad changes done in the food processing industry, and just because it has been done, and is allowed does not mean that should be the way we actually do it. More press and social media might just be the answer to changing things for the better. And companies, and states like Iowa, are doing all they can to keep operations secret to keep change from being forced.

Which makes you question what was allowed to change in the processing end of things. My mom talks about when she was a kid 'steak tar-tar' which is basically raw hamburger, was common place, now we are warned about how eating raw hamburger might just kill us. There have been many bad changes done in the food processing industry, and just because it has been done, and is allowed does not mean that should be the way we actually do it. More press and social media might just be the answer to changing things for the better. And companies, and states like Iowa, are doing all they can to keep operations secret to keep change from being forced.

I really can't go into a lot of detail here but I guarantee you what is way more concerning to me than the possibility of acquiring E-coli are the chemicals they are using to kill the bacteria. One place will use chemical X to kill it and then they ship their trim to another processor who uses chemical Y to kill it. Problem is, sometimes chem X & chem Y form a compound that is much more dangerous for consumers than the typical case of the runs a healthy person would get by ingesting a little E-coli. I really don't think anyone is keeping track of the cumulative additions. I am not aware of any problems like this actually affecting consumers but I am aware of these types of combinations happening. The weird thing is, I still prefer my hamburgers medium to medium well but, I know the risk I am running. What amazes me are the people who do not handle properly or fully cook their hamburger and they act like it's somebody else's fault. I make the assumption that all hamburger has E-coli in it and everyone else should do the same. If you're old, young, weak, compromised immune system, weak stomach, etc.- FULLY COOK your hamburger. I would almost guarantee you that every person has eaten hamburger with E-coli in it, probably multiple times. Don't even get me started on Listeria. Edit- It's not quite as simple as changes in the industry. The main problem I see is that it is cost prohibitive to eliminate it at the slaughterhouse level. You think $4 hamburger is bad? They could probably totally eliminate the problem if consumers were willing to pay $8 to $12 per pound but, they aren't. So, we're back to know it's there and kill it by fully cooking. Problem is, the average consumer doesn't want to accept their share of the responsibility which would totally eliminate any problem.

It would help if someone could just outline for me clearly what I'm supposed to be outraged about here. :P

Not sure if serious.

"The second exempts biotechnology giants like Monsanto and Dow from judicial review, allowing them to sell and plant genetically engineered crops even if a court of law orders them to stop."

In addition to that, Monsanto helped write this part of the bill and the main politician who wrote it receives more $ from them than any other.

It shouldn't matter how you feel about GMOs. This is a ridiculous law that protects a giant corporation. Any time a corporation is able to put something into law just because they can pay for it, there's a reason to be upset.

• Fire 3

Monsanto is just bad news. Remember "Agent Orange", thats Monsanto's doing.

For all of you that were up in arms over Haliburton, Monsanto makes them look like the girl scouts... Google Monsanto, then think about if Obama did the right thing by letting it slide...

think about if Obama did the right thing by letting it slide...

It got a 75% vote in senate and 61% vote in the House. Not signing it wouldn't have accomplished anything.

well, I'm not a fan of any of them, but once again, it just shows the prostitutes on capital hill, ready to give up the booty for a few greenbacks...