Huskerboard Favorite Scotch or Whiskey Thread

I love beer. Especially microbrews. I enjoy the Favorite beer thread but once in a while I got to hit the bottle. Help me out with some suggestions.

Right now my favorite Whiskey is Jameson with just a splash of Sprite. My favorite Scotch is The Glenlivet 12 yr straight up on ice.

Anyone else?

jameson and glenlivet, but i take them both neat.

if i am making a manhattan or old fashioned, then maker's mark or templeton rye.

I had the Templeton Rye a few months back. Not bad. Wasn't something I would seek out at the liquor store, though.

I love beer. Especially microbrews. I enjoy the Favorite beer thread but once in a while I got to hit the bottle. Help me out with some suggestions.

Right now my favorite Whiskey is Jameson with just a splash of Sprite. My favorite Scotch is The Glenlivet 12 yr straight up on ice.

Anyone else?

jameson and glenlivet, but i take them both neat.

if i am making a manhattan or old fashioned, then maker's mark or templeton rye.

I had the Templeton Rye a few months back. Not bad. Wasn't something I would seek out at the liquor store, though.

my favorite whiskey, and my drink of choice, is whiskey diet with early times. it is dirt cheap and delicious when mixed with cola. jameson is my favorite sipping liquor. the common theme is that they are both good values. i like the high-end stuff, but it is hard to justify the cost/benefit analysis.

i do like the dryness of rye in an old fashioned though and i do not know of any other rye.

DickelRye_feature1.png

Just picked up a bottle of this last night. Pretty good stuff. George Dickel's black label whiskey is better though.

Whats the best way to drink it in your opinion? Cut with water? On ice? Both? None?

I throw a couple ice cubes in. But people who are aficionados think this ruins the taste. Me, I can't tell any difference. Other than it being watered down a bit.

Bird+Dog.jpg

What about the other flavors?

What does a bottle usually cost?

I've only ever had the blackberry, but they do make peach and hot cinnamon.

Price is around $20-$25

Is the blackberry really sweet? I could see the peach or blackberry being a good choice for a summer sippin' drink with a couple of ice cubes.

Bird+Dog.jpg

Price is around $20-$25

Is the blackberry really sweet? I could see the peach or blackberry being a good choice for a summer sippin' drink with a couple of ice cubes.

It isn't overly sweet, there is a hint of berry. It mixes really well with coke.

A buddy and I drank an entire bottle for a bachelor party last month.

Bird+Dog.jpg

Price is around $20-$25

It isn't overly sweet, there is a hint of berry. It mixes really well with coke.

A buddy and I drank an entire bottle for a bachelor party last month.

Did you blackberry out? ;)

Definitely a scotch person; I don't mind bourbon but I find the sweetness to be overwhelming and I'm not a big fan of the barrel char taste.

My current bottle is this:

hlpob.12yov8.jpg

Very solid. A little peaty, a little sweet, a little malty. I've heard that this is the "little of everything" whisky and I completely agree with that sentiment.

My favorite is still Glenmorangie. It's recently been much cheaper too, only ~30 for a bottle, whereas a year or two ago it was ~42 for a bottle.

Oh yeah, and I drink 'em all straight. Ice completely mutes the flavor and dilutes it, and I don't notice any improvement by adding a drop or two of water. When I want to go suuuuper classy, I get the $9.99 fifth of Evan Williams and mix it with Pepsi. And then I get drunk.

Definitely a scotch person; I don't mind bourbon but I find the sweetness to be overwhelming and I'm not a big fan of the barrel char taste.

My current bottle is this:

hlpob.12yov8.jpg

Very solid. A little peaty, a little sweet, a little malty. I've heard that this is the "little of everything" whisky and I completely agree with that sentiment.

My favorite is still Glenmorangie. It's recently been much cheaper too, only ~30 for a bottle, whereas a year or two ago it was ~42 for a bottle.

Oh yeah, and I drink 'em all straight. Ice completely mutes the flavor and dilutes it, and I don't notice any improvement by adding a drop or two of water. When I want to go suuuuper classy, I get the $9.99 fifth of Evan Williams and mix it with Pepsi. And then I get drunk.

you get drunk or you continue to be drunk?

I'm not a big whiskey guy (really prefer microbrews) but I do like bourbon and Makers Mark is about as fancy as I get. I've had some better canadians and really don't like that style. Have never really had any "good" scotch and have absolutely hated the cheap scotch that I've tried. Tend to like my bourbon on the rocks for temperature only. When it it gets watered down too much, don't like it. My dad always drank CC & water, me no likey.

I'm a Maker's neat kinda guy. Having one right now actually.

I haven't branched out terribly much, mainly because I couldn't afford to go out and try a bunch of expensive bourbons by the bottle. If I'm at a bar, though, we'll (wifey & I...yes, she drinks bourbon too, chuckleshuffle just mixed with ginger) try out some different kinds.