Bands that should have been bigger

Everyone has bands that they thought/ think are great but just never really got huge. Here are three of my favorites.

The Smithereens, great sounding garage type band had several good albums and songs in the 80's and 90's

The Call, great band great stories told in there songs.

The Cult, just a great rocking band. Ian Ashbury was/is a great frontman.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

• Fire 1

Everyone has bands that they thought/ think are great but just never really got huge. Here are three of my favorites.

The Smithereens, great sounding garage type band had several good albums and songs in the 80's and 90's

The Call, great band great stories told in there songs.

The Cult, just a great rocking band. Ian Ashbury was/is a great frontman.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Right there with you on The Smithereens and The Cult. I have both on regular rotation on the MP3 player.

I'd add in Social Distortion. Always thought they had that "it" sound, and they didn't seem to get the credit they deserved.

So what's the definition of "big" here? There's been a few mentioned that get very regular airplay still.

BigGER. Doesn't matter how big they were, it's whether or not they should have been bigger than they were.

Ok, bigGER, but what is the measuring stick here? Album sales? Number of tours headlined?

Or it all just opinion?

I'm only asking because I hear Social Distortion and Sevendust EVERY day on Sirius. Sometimes multiple times in a day. The "DJs" talk them up and pimp their new albums, etc.

So what's the definition of "big" here? There's been a few mentioned that get very regular airplay still.

BigGER. Doesn't matter how big they were, it's whether or not they should have been bigger than they were.

Ok, bigGER, but what is the measuring stick here? Album sales? Number of tours headlined?

Or it all just opinion?

I'm only asking because I hear Social Distortion and Sevendust EVERY day on Sirius. Sometimes multiple times in a day. The "DJs" talk them up and pimp their new albums, etc.

I hear Sevendust on Satellite Radio a lot too. But I would say that they are not as commercially successful or as mainstream as some of their counterparts and they should be.

I have never heard of Sevendust. I may be too old. As far as criteria goes that is hard to catagorize. To me bands like The Smithereens are great, with good tunes good riffs and good lyrics. But, for some reason they never really hit it big. But a lot of people can listen to a couple of their songs and say I've heard that song before, but they don't know who the band was.

The only song from The Cult that I know of is "Edie"

I don't know that I've heard The Smithereens or The Call.

I started listening to Social Distortion when I heard their cover of "Ring of Fire" on an early episode of Road Rules (I think it was Road Rules)

I remember people listening to Sevendust when I was in high school (10-12 years ago) I like some of their stuff.