• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here into amateur astronomy?

Edit - Oh, I forgot to post this as well. If you're interested in recent news on science in general, including astronomy, this is a great site.

www.phys.org

Just getting into it. It might be my jump on the midlife crisis or something. Although with the light pollution, and work demands, I dont get to use my scope nearly as much as I would like. Although I drug it out last night and we were able to glimpse M57, appeared as an off blue fuzzy image. Still takes my breath away to see such things.

Just getting into it. It might be my jump on the midlife crisis or something. Although with the light pollution, and work demands, I dont get to use my scope nearly as much as I would like. Although I drug it out last night and we were able to glimpse M57, appeared as an off blue fuzzy image. Still takes my breath away to see such things.

Cool, what scope do you have, if you don't mind my asking? If you have a pair of binoculars, a LOT can be seen with just those, even in heavy light pollution. Most people are shocked at what they can see with a decent pair, and they make a nice way to do a little observing when you don't have the time or energy to drag the scope out and let it properly cool down, etc.

what scope do you have

I have a Celestron CPC 1100, it has an 11 inch main mirror, also I upgraded everything to a 2" eye piece/diagonal, although I did buy a collar to mount 1.25 if needed. I have two Televue eye pieces, one is more for planets very wide field and the other is more for deep field. I use the 1.25" 40mm Plossl for deep field as well. Also have a two piece polarized filter for moon viewing, and a O III filter.

You are right you can see a ton with very little magnification. People said to go in steps, but nuts to that, impulse control, and just a basically cavalier attitude towards things, I jumped in head first.

what scope do you have

I have a Celestron CPC 1100, it has an 11 inch main mirror, also I upgraded everything to a 2" eye piece/diagonal, although I did buy a collar to mount 1.25 if needed. I have two Televue eye pieces, one is more for planets very wide field and the other is more for deep field. I use the 1.25" 40mm Plossl for deep field as well. Also have a two piece polarized filter for moon viewing, and a O III filter.

You are right you can see a ton with very little magnification. People said to go in steps, but nuts to that, impulse control, and just a basically cavalier attitude towards things, I jumped in head first.

Thought I would jump in here...loving this thread! Ready for the winter and clearer skies than this summer gave me.

Currently using a Stellarvue SV105T with a Stellarvue SV50 as a guide scope. Both a sitting on a Losmandy GM8 with the Gemini 2 'puter.

Question. What is anyone using for processing? Registax gives me fits.

WOW Nice mount! I haven't moved into CCD yet. Mine just "tracks" with the step motor, and it does a poor job at that. Do you have any pics you can post?

I'm not patient enough for CCD, just using my Canon 5D mounted to the back of my 105. I have pics, but nothing I'm proud of. When I get the stacking and processing down better I will get some up on here!

Here's something cool - a planet without a star. The red dot a little left of center in this image is PSO J318.5-22, a planet about 1/6th the size of Jupiter roughly 80 light-years from Earth. Scientists have always figured there would be planets out there without stars, but this is the first one they've been able to directly image. It was found during a search for Brown Dwarf stars using Pan-STARRS telescope in Hawaii.

W3RxK2q.jpg

WOW Nice mount! I haven't moved into CCD yet. Mine just "tracks" with the step motor, and it does a poor job at that. Do you have any pics you can post?

I'm not patient enough for CCD, just using my Canon 5D mounted to the back of my 105. I have pics, but nothing I'm proud of. When I get the stacking and processing down better I will get some up on here!

Cool. I emailed my friend that is big into astrophotograghy, and he uses Photoshop, and Adobe Raw. Hope that helps