This is a topic dedicated to pictures, videos, articles, and discussion of all things related to space.

For instance, New moon discovered orbiting Neptune.

Was watching videos from a channel on YouTube called, Dnews, and was surprised to hear them say that a person, unprotected/no space suit, in the vacuum of space, can survive for like 15 seconds or so before you pass out. Moreover, some chimps who were exposed to the vacuum of space for a minute made a full recovery and one died.

Contrary to what you see in movies, you would not explode or get turned inside out.

Also, when they say you're blood and saliva will boil, all they mean is liquid is turning into gas, so you're not being "boiled" in the sense of a potato in a pan of water.

I guess my purpose for saying this is: dying exposed to the vacuum of space would certainly be painful for 10-15 seconds as the pressure within your body equalized to the vacuum of space;, but it wouldn't be as gruesome as you might think (thanks for lying to us Hollywood).

I watched Apollo 13 movie (3rd or 4th time). I studied Apollo 13 disaster real articles ..... pretty much accurate after launch. Myself big question: why not suited up on EVA suit after explosion? Spacesuit (EVA) protect oxygen/CO2 levels and temperature control. You know the most critical was temperature (avg. of 35 degrees) and oxygen/CO2 thing inside "lifeboat" environment.

BTW, the funniest quote IMO: :laughpound .

[US income tax returns are due in 2 days, but Swigert is 200,000 miles away]

Jack Swigert (Kevin Bacon): Uh, well, if anyone from the, uh, from the IRS is watching, I... forgot to file my, my, my 1040 return. Um, I meant to do it today, but, uh...

Sy Liebergot (Clint Howard): [back at Mission Control] That's no joke. They'll jump on him!

or else ...

Fred Haise (Bill Paxton): It hurts when I urinate.

Jim Lovell (Tom Hanks): Well, you're not getting enough water.

Fred Haise: No, I'm drinkin' my rations, same as you... I think old Swigert gave me the clap. Been pissin' in my relief tube.

Jim Lovell: Well, that'd be a hot one at the debriefing for the flight surgeons... Another first for America's spacemen.

Of course, Hollywood's exaggerate especially before launch ....

1. Very little protest on changing from Mattingly (measles) to Swigert. Flight Surgeon guy=Highly respect=NASA God.

2. Swigert was portrayed a playboy guy. Bachelor yes but not a playboy. Jack was supposedly workaholic (practice, practice, practice ...)

3. Time frame. On the film, Saturn rocket was still traveling between vehicle assembly building to pad via crawler-transporter ..... less than three days to launch. Actually 5 months complete trip awaiting for launch (pad).

4. Batteries on spacecraft. Not critical after shutoff radar heat, gimble, computer, etc.

The Dude    6,479

This is a topic dedicated to pictures, videos, articles, and discussion of all things related to space.

Was watching videos from a channel on YouTube called, Dnews, and was surprised to hear them say that a person, unprotected/no space suit, in the vacuum of space, can survive for like 15 seconds or so before you pass out. Moreover, some chimps who were exposed to the vacuum of space for a minute made a full recovery and one died.

Contrary to what you see in movies, you would not explode or get turned inside out.

Also, when they say you're blood and saliva will boil, all they mean is liquid is turning into gas, so you're not being "boiled" in the sense of a potato in a pan of water.

I guess my purpose for saying this is: dying exposed to the vacuum of space would certainly be painful for 10-15 seconds as the pressure within your body equalized to the vacuum of space;, but it wouldn't be as gruesome as you might think (thanks for lying to us Hollywood).

That's interesting. The first time I read it I thought you said 15 minutes instead of 15 seconds, haha.

I think it was the Titan (or Saturn) episode of How the Universe Works where one of the nerds said you could walk around on the surface of Titan without a space suit. It would be like walking around in Antarctica, but with a oxygen mask on.

huKSer    1,347

On the time thing - it takes time because of your mass. Analogy - You throw a roast into a hot oven. It doesn't get done in a flash, It takes time for the heat to penetrate to the core.

ZRod    2,654

On the time thing - it takes time because of your mass. Analogy - You throw a roast into a hot oven. It doesn't get done in a flash, It takes time for the heat to penetrate to the core.

It takes time for your body loose consciousness from oxygen deprivation I would guess. Oxygen is being sucked out of you body and through your lungs. Various kinds of vacuums and decomoresions have been experienced. Pretty intersting stuff to read at the link.

Basically the closest Hollywood ever came to the real deal was way back: 2001 A Space Odyssey.

BIG ERN    871

Mars is approx. 12.5 light MINUTES away. It would take around 6 months to reach Mars with a manned aircraft. These 'new planets' are 40 light YEARS away. It would take around 800,000 years to reach these places by a manned aircraft....Don't you think we should quit with the nonsense fantasy and $20B/year spending for NASA?

knapplc    17,832

Mars is approx. 12.5 light MINUTES away. It would take around 6 months to reach Mars with a manned aircraft. These 'new planets' are 40 light YEARS away. It would take around 800,000 years to reach these places by a manned aircraft....Don't you think we should quit with the nonsense fantasy and $20B/year spending for NASA?

100 years ago powered flight was a fantasy. Today air travel is so common EVERYONE does it. It used to take a year to sail around the world. Today you could legit circumnavigate the globe in two days - maybe one with good connection flights.

Do you really think we won't have technological breakthroughs that drastically cut travel time from here to other stars in the next century? How will that happen if we don't strive to advance technology?

BIG ERN    871

100 years ago powered flight was a fantasy. Today air travel is so common EVERYONE does it. It used to take a year to sail around the world. Today you could legit circumnavigate the globe in two days - maybe one with good connection flights.

Do you really think we won't have technological breakthroughs that drastically cut travel time from here to other stars in the next century? How will that happen if we don't strive to advance technology?

To think of the sustainable water needed, vasts amounts of rich soil, perfect atmosphere in regards to chemical composition, shields of radiation, perfect gravitational pull, plate tectonics, constant weather that is able to be livable by all forms of life there is no chance there is a civilization that is in any way similar to ours. Fermi Paradox

Landlord    7,375

To think of the sustainable water needed, vasts amounts of rich soil, perfect atmosphere in regards to chemical composition, shields of radiation, perfect gravitational pull, plate tectonics, constant weather that is able to be livable by all forms of life there is no chance there is a civilization that is in any way similar to ours. Fermi Paradox

Huh. You should go inform the folks at NASA that they've all been wasting their time and you've got it figured out.

BIG ERN    871

Huh. You should go inform the folks at NASA that they've all been wasting their time and you've got it figured out.

I'm not saying that, but I think it is crazy to think that people find it fascinating without knowing the true reality of it. Over 5 years they spend over 100 BILLION DOLLARS. I would rather put that into something we know of - Earth.

Landlord    7,375

I'm not saying that, but I think it is crazy to think that people find it fascinating without knowing the true reality of it. Over 5 years they spend over 100 BILLION DOLLARS. I would rather put that into something we know of - Earth.

But we spend money for our own planet too, so...?

sho    91

And NASA's budget is still like .4% of the budget. It's not like they are getting a lot of money that could be used else where in the grand scheme of things.

BIG ERN    871

And NASA's budget is still like .4% of the budget. It's not like they are getting a lot of money that could be used else where in the grand scheme of things.

$100B isn't a lot of money? I'll mark that one down

ZRod    2,654

You realize NASA is more than just things up there in space right? It's aerospace research and climate research. They've invented or have help bring many technologies to the public. Artificial limbs, memory foam, LEDs for medical use, aircraft de-icing, cordless vacuum, freeze drying, scratchless lenses, solar cells, water filtration, fire/heat resistant materials, and tons of other things we use everyday.

Absolutely not.

ZRod    2,654

If anything NASA is criminally underfunded.

Space isn't real.

commando    1,374

If anything NASA is criminally underfunded.

Space isn't real.

the earth is the center of the universe and it is also flat

2ndNnine    793

ss-170331-misp-mn-16_9506042d05664f08c3e

Saturn's tiny moon, Pan, was captured on March 7 during a flyby by NASA's Cassini spacecraft. The images captured during the flyby are the closest images ever taken of the moon which has an average diameter of only 17 miles.

Pan's prominent equatorial ridge gives it a distinctive flying saucer shape. The ridge is believed to be the result of material from Saturn's rings raining down on the moon.

2ndNnine    793

d6efc5393622cbee3f8a107e24ad43a0.jpg

I was in Salt Lake City on business a while back and decided to go to the Clark Planetarium and they had some extremely cool stuff.

This is a picture of a live feed they have. I have a couple short videos I took on my phone. The videos are kind of impressive, but do not even come close to doing justice to what the actual live feed looks like.

A look at the surface of our star, through a filtered telescope lens:

142h5ig.jpg

knapplc    17,832

I want to know how they keep the rubber on the wheels from degrading during space flight. It's cold enough to rupture tires in space, and that thing has been in that icy coldness for two years, but it landed on its rubber wheels just fine.

It's clearly not the same material as we have on domestic car tires. Wonder what it's made of.

ZRod    2,654

I want to know how they keep the rubber on the wheels from degrading during space flight. It's cold enough to rupture tires in space, and that thing has been in that icy coldness for two years, but it landed on its rubber wheels just fine.

It's clearly not the same material as we have on domestic car tires. Wonder what it's made of.

Tires are a black art. You can make them behave almost anyway you want by slightly tweaking the chemical compounds in the mixture, but you sacrifice other properties obviously. I've studied vehicle dynamics and some race engineering, and even those guys don't know what the hell tire engineers do half the time. That's arguably the most important part of a race car!

But really if there is no load on the tire its probably not going to crack. It's probably a couple steps up from a winter tire you get on your car.

huKSer    1,347

Tires are a black art. You can make them behave almost anyway you want by slightly tweaking the chemical compounds in the mixture, but you sacrifice other properties obviously. I've studied vehicle dynamics and some race engineering, and even those guys don't know what the hell tire engineers do half the time. That's arguably the most important part of a race car!

But really if there is no load on the tire its probably not going to crack. It's probably a couple steps up from a winter tire you get on your car.

I'm betting carbon nanotubes and non-gas filled, maybe some sort of foam.

2ndNnine    793

18485320_1259473137504124_89832157794144

2ndNnine    793

Hibernating Aliens May Explain Why We Haven't Found Any Other Life Yet

Scientists have proposed a rather interesting reason for why we haven’t found aliens yet, a problem known as the Fermi Paradox (if life is so abundant, where is everyone?). They propose intelligent aliens could be in a state of hibernation, waiting for the universe to get colder so they can be more productive.

This idea was proposed in the Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, with a pre-print available on arXiv. The paper was written by Anders Sandberg, Stuart Armstrong, and Milan Cirkovic of the Future of Humanity Institute at the University of Oxford, and picked up recently by Gizmodo.

Some people think that a civilization much more advanced than our own might become a digital race. That is to say, they’ll live as artificial intelligence inside computers, doing away with more limiting fleshy bodies. Experts including Elon Musk have suggested this is a logical progression in the far future.

If we are not alone in the universe (which we have no evidence for yet), one could therefore further propose that an advanced alien race might have gone down this route. But in order to make the most of their new digital bodies, they might not like the universe at the moment.

The temperature of the universe right now is 3 degrees Kelvin above absolute zero. That’s rather chilly, but that temperature will continue to drop as the universe expands. Sandberg and his colleagues argue that the temperature in the future could allow for 1030 more computational processes than are currently possible.

“We hence suggest the 'aestivation hypothesis',” the researchers write in their paper, adding that “the reason we are not observing manifestations of alien civilizations is that they are currently (mostly) inactive, patiently waiting for future cosmic eras.” Aestivation is basically hibernation to avoid hotter temperatures, not cooler ones.

http://www.iflscience.com/space/hibernating-aliens-may-explain-why-we-havent-found-any-other-life-yet/

redout22    164

Technically we don't need all that to survive on another planet/moon. There are ways to get around weather, tectonics, radiation, and even the atmosphere.

Out of curiosity do you believe in global warming?

One month to go.

solareclipsediagram_mikelynch.jpg?w=550

First time event since way back in July 7th 1442 !! (Lincoln path). Before Christopher Columbus era. After August 21st, the next event in Lincoln will be May 26th 2245 .... hopefully a couple of CCG Husker winners ;)

LINK

And speaking of Lincoln, this second capital city in the path lies near its northern edge, so totality is shorter there - only 1m 25.5s (at 1:02pm) on the grounds of the beautiful State Capitol. The 50-yard-line at Husker stadium gets five seconds less time in the shadow, so you can see how important it is to get as far south as you can!

LINK

Expected to draw big crowds from Australia to Russia ....... “I think we’ll sell out all the hotels in Nebraska region’’

The best was Alliance, Grand Island, Beatrice and Fall City .... bulls-eye. Almost 3 minutes duration (totality). Lincoln: one and half minutes.

Anyway, I know temperatures will be lower that day in the eclipse. And birds and animals begin to stir.

BTW, Total and annular eclipse are different. Annular=halo sun. The last in Lincoln was October 19 1865.

Total means completely darkness, sun is fully obscured by the Moon, equal to new moon at night. Total eclipse occurred when the moon is minimum distance from Earth (perigee orbit)