2013 NFL Discussion Thread

Mavric

The sad thing is, Richard Sherman is actually a very intelligent, hard-working, caring dude. The best teammate you would ever want, and a guy who is great in the community. A very down to earth guy. But he just says stuff like this, and it ruins his reputation, as well as that of the Seahawks. I can't defend it.

The sad thing is, Richard Sherman is actually a very intelligent, hard-working, caring dude. The best teammate you would ever want, and a guy who is great in the community. A very down to earth guy. But he just says stuff like this, and it ruins his reputation, as well as that of the Seahawks. I can't defend it.

Well Seaderal fans once again did themselves no favor as they threw food at Bowman as he was getting carted off. Stay classy Seattle!

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/navorro-bowman-suffers-gruesome-knee-injury-seahawks-fans-throw-food-at-him-as-hes-carted-off-field/

I was going to show a pic of Boman on the cart with food debris on it/him, but this forum won't allow me to post pics...wtf is up with that?

The Extra Point Is On Its Way Out

In an appearance on NFL Network yesterday, Goodell agreed that the PAT is almost a useless, "automatic" play at this point. ("The penny of the NFL," Rich Eisen called it, and I think that's spot-on.) It adds nothing, runs a barely nonzero risk of failure, and a higher risk of injury. And among the ideas to do away with it, Goodell singled out one.

"There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about," Goodell went on. "It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."

This seems simple and fair. Assume the PAT will be a success, so award the extra point without even running the play. It would preserve the familiar seven-point scoring block, but still allow for teams to go double-or-nothing on a two-point conversion.

But it's not the only option to reform the extra point. Some others have been tossed around, and could bring a little excitement back to the play:

• Take a page from rugby. The PAT is already a holdover from the "conversion," worth two points in rugby (the NFL rulebook still calls it a "try"). So why not adopt rugby's practice of taking the kick not from between the hash marks, but from wherever the touchdown was scored? If a team crosses the goal line just in-bounds, force them to take the PAT from the two-yard line at that spot; the angle will be sharp and the target smaller.
  • Move the line of scrimmage back. The linked chart above shows the success rate for 30-39 yard field goals to be just under 90 percent, or about as easy as the PAT was in the 1970s. If teams have to convert the extra point from the 20 or the 25, instead of the 2, it'll no longer be a given.
  • Make the player who scored the touchdown kick the PAT. My personal favorite, because chaos. Marshawn Lynch ran the ball in for six points? He's got to get the seventh too. This will never happen, because you can just picture Peyton Manning tearing a quad attempting a placekick, but I very badly want it to, if just for the occasional offensive lineman touchdown.

Thoughts?

I kinda like the automatic seven, but would love to see dudes kicking from crazy angles like rugby

In an appearance on NFL Network yesterday, Goodell agreed that the PAT is almost a useless, "automatic" play at this point. ("The penny of the NFL," Rich Eisen called it, and I think that's spot-on.) It adds nothing, runs a barely nonzero risk of failure, and a higher risk of injury. And among the ideas to do away with it, Goodell singled out one.

"There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about," Goodell went on. "It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."

This seems simple and fair. Assume the PAT will be a success, so award the extra point without even running the play. It would preserve the familiar seven-point scoring block, but still allow for teams to go double-or-nothing on a two-point conversion.

But it's not the only option to reform the extra point. Some others have been tossed around, and could bring a little excitement back to the play:

• Take a page from rugby. The PAT is already a holdover from the "conversion," worth two points in rugby (the NFL rulebook still calls it a "try"). So why not adopt rugby's practice of taking the kick not from between the hash marks, but from wherever the touchdown was scored? If a team crosses the goal line just in-bounds, force them to take the PAT from the two-yard line at that spot; the angle will be sharp and the target smaller.
  • Move the line of scrimmage back. The linked chart above shows the success rate for 30-39 yard field goals to be just under 90 percent, or about as easy as the PAT was in the 1970s. If teams have to convert the extra point from the 20 or the 25, instead of the 2, it'll no longer be a given.
  • Make the player who scored the touchdown kick the PAT. My personal favorite, because chaos. Marshawn Lynch ran the ball in for six points? He's got to get the seventh too. This will never happen, because you can just picture Peyton Manning tearing a quad attempting a placekick, but I very badly want it to, if just for the occasional offensive lineman touchdown.

Thoughts?

I kinda like the automatic seven, but would love to see dudes kicking from crazy angles like rugby

Hate it. Leave the game alone.

Thoughts?

Think extra points are becoming pointless? Unnecessary changes are pointless too.

Not mine so feel free to nitpick, from an SB nation piece (it seemed to have a lot of problems)

Schools with multiple players in the SB:

Five

Tennessee

Wisconsin (If RW is counted)

Four

Florida

TAMU

USC

Wisconsin (If RW is not counted)

Three

Cal

UGA