Reetz Makes USA 18U National Team

Football will have to wait for Jakson Reetz.

The Norris senior learned Wednesday he had secured a spot on the 20-man roster of the USA Baseball 18 & under team that will play in the World Cup in Taiwan Aug. 30 through Sept. 8.

"I'm sad I can't be with my football team, but I get to represent our country, the greatest country ever," Reetz said from Fullerton, Calif. "I'm blessed to be in that spot. When I get back from Taiwan, I'll be looking forward to playing with my friends on the football team and help them get another win three days after I get back."

Reetz made the USA team after a five-day tryout process in California. The 40-man tryout squad played five games, including one at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.

Now, the team turns its attention to the World Cup. The team leaves Saturday for Taiwan. Three warmup games are slated against the Chinese Taipei team in Taichung Stadium. The USA squad opens pool play Aug. 30 against Colombia and then plays Korea, Italy, Australia and Cuba the next four days in pool play. After three games in Round 2, the medal game is slated for Sept. 8.

Reetz is a two-time Lincoln Journal Star Super-Stater and was an honorary co-captain this year. The Nebraska Gatorade player of the year, Reetz was named the MVP in the Perfect Game Classic by Rawlings earlier this summer.

He said he thought his versatility helped him make the USA team. During the five games of the tryout process, he caught, played third base and right field and he also pitched.

"I just wanted to make the team, so I did anything I had to," he said. "I played well in all those positions, although I didn't hit as well as I would have liked, but I did some good things."

Two of the tryout games were played at Cal State Fullerton, one at Long Beach State University, one at the University of San Diego and the game at Dodger Stadium.

While in San Diego, the players went to the Coronado Amphibious Naval Base, spending time with some of the SEALs training there.

"It was awesome to see how hard they work. to see what they have to do to prepare to protect our country," Reetz said. "They talked to us about mental strength and preparation. We watched some of them demonstrate the obstacle course, but our coaches didn't let us do it. It looked extremely hard."

Reetz said he was particularly happy longtime friend Keaton McKinney of Ankeny, Iowa, also made the team.

"I'm fortunate one of my teammates is someone I've been playing with since I was nine years old," he said. "I played with him all through select ball. We got away from it during high school ball but then were reunited this summer. It's humbling to see a guy you've played against being brought up with you."

Reetz is considered one of the top prospects in the country and has already committed to Nebraska.

"I put everything I had into this. It was always a lifetime goal to be a part of Team USA and it's one of the top things in my high school experience," he said. "I was able to win a state championship with my team at Norris and now I have the chance to represent our country."

www.journalstar.com

Think he will play for the Huskers next year?

"I'm sad I can't be with my football team, but I get to represent our country, the greatest country ever," Reetz said from Fullerton, Calif. "I'm blessed to be in that spot. When I get back from Taiwan, I'll be looking forward to playing with my friends on the football team and help them get another win three days after I get back."

:thumbs

Congrats!

:thumbs

Congrats!

He is a great kid, a real competitor. If you are going to be in an alley fight, you want him on your side.

Jakson is the first player from Nebraska to ever make the 18U team and believed to be only the second player from the state to make any USA team at any level (the other being Alex Gordan)

Barring injury, no way. Unfortunately.

I'm not so sure about that. He has long been on the record of saying playing for the Huskers was his dream. Certainly big $ can influence that, but I don't think it's out of the question at all.

Barring injury, no way. Unfortunately.

I'm not so sure about that. He has long been on the record of saying playing for the Huskers was his dream. Certainly big $ can influence that, but I don't think it's out of the question at all.

Majority of kids say playing for (team they are committed to) is their dream. Wanting to go to college, live that life, etc. If they come out saying "I wanna go straight to pro ball" they lose bargaining power.

If your kid was offered several million dollars in signing bonus vs $100,000 in potential scholarship money, no question which is the best option. (Actually, a baseball scholarship at NU will never reach the $100,000 plateau, not even close.) Playing college ball and the physical risks that go with it? Not a chance. If pro ball does not work out for Reetz, he is a smart enough kid to go back to college and get a degree. He is way more mature than the average 18 year old.

If your kid was offered several million dollars in signing bonus vs $100,000 in potential scholarship money, no question which is the best option. (Actually, a baseball scholarship at NU will never reach the $100,000 plateau, not even close.) Playing college ball and the physical risks that go with it? Not a chance. If pro ball does not work out for Reetz, he is a smart enough kid to go back to college and get a degree. He is way more mature than the average 18 year old.

While your point about being the "Best Option" may be valid in a majority of cases, it isn't always a one-size-fits-all solution. There may be circumstances where (for whatever reason), it isn't as clear to us on the outside as it may at first glance appear to be. For you to unilaterally declare "Not a chance" fails to account for those potential contingencies. That's why it is presumptuous for any of us to rule out any potential outcome.

You are probably correct that the money may be too much of a lure to overcome, but I think it's at least worth following while it plays itself out.

While your point about being the "Best Option" may be valid in a majority of cases, it isn't always a one-size-fits-all solution. There may be circumstances where (for whatever reason), it isn't as clear to us on the outside as it may at first glance appear to be. For you to unilaterally declare "Not a chance" fails to account for those potential contingencies. That's why it is presumptuous for any of us to rule out any potential outcome.

You are probably correct that the money may be too much of a lure to overcome, but I think it's at least worth following while it plays itself out.

Of course, it all has to "play out!" However, providing everything falls into place for Reetz, he will not have one at bat for NU. He still has a high school year to complete. He participates in football, basketball and baseball, all with a chance of an unfortunate injury. Then, there is the baseball draft itself. His main position is as a catcher, and there are not many out there. If he goes high in the second or even higher in the first round, he will receive a significant signing bonus. However, back to my original premise, if someone is offered a million dollars or more in a signing bonus, plus the chance to follow your dream of playing MLB, the chances of going to college take a back seat. College can always be in play. Having the opportunity to play in the Major Leagues is a once in a life time chance.

Of course, it all has to "play out!" However, providing everything falls into place for Reetz, he will not have one at bat for NU. He still has a high school year to complete. He participates in football, basketball and baseball, all with a chance of an unfortunate injury. Then, there is the baseball draft itself. His main position is as a catcher, and there are not many out there. If he goes high in the second or even higher in the first round, he will receive a significant signing bonus. However, back to my original premise, if someone is offered a million dollars or more in a signing bonus, plus the chance to follow your dream of playing MLB, the chances of going to college take a back seat. College can always be in play. Having the opportunity to play in the Major Leagues is a once in a life time chance.

I have agreed that is probably the way it turns out.

What I can't understand is your abject certitude that his dreams are mutually exclusive.

If playing for the Huskers is a life long dream AND playing in the majors is a lifetime dream, it appears he may have the opportunity to achieve both. Of course, he has to factor in injury, circumstances, timing, finances and a host of other contingencies. But, still there remains an option (even if potentially remote) of realizing more than one dream. He and his family will have to make choices. What they choose to do may not be what others in the same situation would do and their choices may surprise.

In any case, it will be interesting to follow, and I certainly hope their choices work out well for them.

I have agreed that is probably the way it turns out.

What I can't understand is your abject certitude that his dreams are mutually exclusive.

If playing for the Huskers is a life long dream AND playing in the majors is a lifetime dream, it appears he may have the opportunity to achieve both. Of course, he has to factor in injury, circumstances, timing, finances and a host of other contingencies. But, still there remains an option (even if potentially remote) of realizing more than one dream. He and his family will have to make choices. What they choose to do may not be what others in the same situation would do and their choices may surprise.

In any case, it will be interesting to follow, and I certainly hope their choices work out well for them.

The only thing that stands between the NU dream (#1) and the MLB dream (#2) is $,$$$,$$$! I do not know how it will turn out, but if the $ are enough, dream #2 (MLB) will surmount dream #1(NU). You can take that to the bank, as will Reetz.

I am confused by all these different leagues. There's little league, the USA league, Cominsk, Babe Ruth, league, others. A fellow teacher i work closely with, was so excited a couple of weeks ago because he was selected to be a 14u assistant coach for the USA league, but how can he do that? He lives, and works, in Louisiana and if I understand him correctly, this league is based in North Carolina. What is the deal, are these leagues all some how related?

• 2 weeks later...

USA beat Japan 3-2 for the Championship. Jackson Reetz, NU recruit, played on the team. Here are his stats. Pretty good!

23 at bats-- 10 hits. Four 2B, One HR, 2 BB, 4 HBP, 4 SO, .533 OB%, 1E, Position 9, Fielding %917, 9 PO

http://web.usabaseba...ld_Cup_0908.pdf

Why do you follow this since you are adamant that he will never have a single at bat for us?

(not being a smarta$$, but our previous discussions have yielded your strong opinion that there is no way he plays for us at all. So, in that case, doesn't he become just another player with no ties to NU?)