SIGNED QB Zack Darlington

knapplc

Orlando Sentinel: Nebraska offers Zack Darlington

Apopka quarterback Zack Darlington, the No. 1-ranked prospect in the Sentinel’s 2014 Central Florida Super60, received what he called a “big offer,” on Monday with Nebraska joining the mix. The Cornhuskers are the eighth offer for Darlington, whose also has scholarship invitations from Arizona, Boston College, Minnesota, Ole Miss, NC State, Virginia Tech and West Virginia.

“It’s a really big one because I really like Nebraska,” Darlington said. “I always watched them growing up and they had some really good quarterbacks like Scott Frost and Eric Crouch, so to get an offer from them is really awesome.”

Darlington’s main recruiting contact has been Nebraska offensive coordinator Tim Beck, but the 6-foot-2, 203-pound QB also said he had a long conversation with head coach Bo Pelini last week. “Yeah I might have talked to him longer than I’ve talked to Coach Beck,” Darlington said. “I love talking to him just about their offense and how they do things there and I also talked to him about his

faith and he said he could get me really plugged in there.”

Darlington is a very faith-driven individual, like everyone in the Darlington family, and that sort of equal interest from a coach would impress the young Darlington as much as any aesthetics about a football program.

It’s interesting that Nebraska is onboard now, given then his brother, Ty, just finished his freshman season as a center at Oklahoma. Those once fierce rivals, however, no longer play each other since the ‘Huskers bolted for the Big 10.

Asked if he figured on any Oklahoma interest, Darlington said, “Nah, I don’t think so. They have QB depth for days there,” he said. “My brother’s roommate is Trevor Knight and he and Blake Bell are battling for the starting quarterback spot right now.” Knight is a redshirt freshman and has a long, bright future at OU, and Bell is a redshirt junior.

Darlington is coming off surgery on his right, throwing wrist three weeks ago. He had a plate and screws inserted for strength and the hardware remain inserted. He has been cleared to throw and has been working toward participating in this weekend’s Nike Football Training Camp at West Orange High in Winter Garden on Saturday.

“I’m trying to get there, but I don’t want to jump into it,” said Darlington, who was a non-participating onlooker at the National Underclassmen Combines Five-Star Showcase in Kissimmee March 3. “It’s been tough not throwing. I wanted to pick one up and just throw it last week at the Kissimmee camp.

“I’ve been throwing after school and I’ll throw tomorrow, so hopefully I’ll be there and participate on Saturday.”

He’s coming off an amazing junior season in which he led Apopka to the Florida Class 8A state crown. Darlington threw for 1,725 yards and 19 touchdowns last season. He also rushed for 708 yards and 10 touchdowns.

I really would like to get Newell soon.

Unfortunately not likely, I don't think he is close to a decision. However I do think Darlington will commit on/shortly after his visit here. He and his father seem to be very interested and respectful of our program and Bo Pelini.

I can't remember if I read this on Rivals, Twitter, or Scout, but it sounds like he might make it up here for the spring game or a visit this spring.

The dad texted me they would be up this spring, so my guess is they will per my ealier post

• Fire 1