-*The "Compliments from Opposing Fans" Thread*-

Landlord

http://huskernsider....-touch-of-class

"First of all I want to start by saying a very heartfelt thanks to the Athletic DirectorShawn Eichorst, Head Coach Bo Pelini, to the Husker Nation, their fans, their students and their players for the compassion they showed us this week,” UCLA Coach Jim Mora said in his opening statement of Saturday’s postgame press conference. “I thought it was an incredible gesture they made here, and I think it kind of shows the class here at Nebraska. The fact that they would put a No. 36 decal (Pasquale’s number) on their helmets, and they would have a moment of silence, and their student section cheered us when we took the field and encouraged us on … you just don’t find that at many places. It is just a true testament to the people here at Nebraska and how much they care about football. We are very, very appreciative about that.”

I know that football is very dear to your heart and you support your program whole-heartedly. I just want to say from the Bruin Nation how impressed I was with your program and your class. It was incredible loss of life that the UCLA Bruins experienced last week, and I am forever grateful and humbled by your generous gestures to honor Nick Pasquale both on your helmets and with the balloon release at your stadium. Thank you so much for this special remembrance at your home stadium. You give the true meaning of sport to your program. I will forever regard the Husker Nation as a class act and a hard-nose football program that makes the right choices and stands for the right things. Thank you again, Brooke Sachs, UCLA Alum

I would like to pass on to all your students and alumni that this was truly a class act which lately hasn’t been seen in college sports for a while. Your program truly shows what a top-notch, classy and outstanding program you have. Sports is an important part to many people’s life, but this shows it is more than sports. I write this with the intent it gets passed on to your readers. William Jones, California

Thank you so much for the actions of your student body, your players, and your athletic department. The compassion that you displayed to UCLA was very much appreciated. What was shown on TV was very moving and really showed the class of Husker Nation. Thanks for all that you did and for being such gracious hosts. Here’s hoping that Husker football goes undefeated the rest of the way. I am still very touched by the actions of the NU Athletic Department. Ernest Hui, UCLA Class of 1998, Mountain View, California
Hello Dr. Perlman,

I am a UCLA graduate who was lucky enough to attend this past weekend’s game at Memorial Stadium. I only mention the score below because it impacts how many fans might react to somebody in the opponent’s attire after the game turned as it did; my sentiments would be the same and my email would read the same had Nebraska won 70 to 0. My entire experience in Nebraska, from spending Friday evening in Omaha to getting to experience Lincoln before the game, sitting in the stands, and walking through campus afterward, was simply amazing. Every single Husker fan I interacted with – each and every one – was outgoing and friendly. Many expressed support for our team after the tragic death of one of our players so recently. I was touched to see that in addition to the formal recognition many in the student section and throughout the stadium had their own signs. Even walking through campus after the game, wearing my blue UCLA hat and my blue UCLA shirt after UCLA had a sizable win in Memorial Stadium, I had nothing but pleasant conversations – often started by Husker fans.

I have grown up around universities, as my father taught at five of them throughout my life. Were I not a Bruin, I would be proud if I could be a Husker.

Sincerely,

(KSBruin)

I was in Lincoln this weekend, and even though I had heard about how welcoming Nebraska fans are, I was stunned by how many fans came up and said hello before the game and even more came and shook my hand afterward. The gameday pregame atmosphere was among the best I've ever experienced and the tribute to Nick with the balloons and signs were amazing. Just wanted to say thanks for a great weekend.

Good morning Husker Nation!

I just wanted to thank you for a great experience and renewing my faith as a Husker fan. It was arguably one of the very worst weeks in Husker Football recent history with all that happened. Things could have taken a lot of different paths in how fans reacted. The result was straight class from pregame to postgame. Not sure why I even thought anything else would come from the best fans in College Football. When Pellini walked off the field at the end was the best part. The Husker fans stayed long after the game was over to salute their team and their coach as they left the field. Great stuff.

As a lifelong Husker fan it was really fantastic to experience what the gameday experience is like for fans of the other team. I live in Brookings and have also been a lifelong Jackrabbit fan. Who knew that these worlds would ever collide. I was thanked by dozens of people after the game for making the trip and complimented on the skill and sportsmanship of the Jacks. Since returning home I have heard from numerous friends who know I'm a Husker fan about how great their experience was as well.

There are plenty of Husker haters out there, my suspicion is that almost all of them have never experienced a game in Memorial Stadium. It was, is, and always will be a special place because of the fans that enter the gates. Good on ya Husker Nation!

"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory"

Hartley Burr Alexander

Here's to the Huskers playing well the rest of the way! Cheers!

SUPERBUNNY

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/66762-thanks-from-a-jackrabbit-fan/page__fromsearch__1

• 1 month later...

You know, we are always basking in the glory of statements such as: "best fans ever" and "really classy fans"...and those remarks are pretty well deserved. But I wanted to take a minute to mention something I saw briefly on television at the end of the first half of the Michigan game.

The Huskers and MU had to leave via the same tunnel and there were (as there usually are) many fans lined up along the tunnel to give high fives to the players as they walked off the field. In this case there were a few fans dressed in red but most of the fans lining the tunnel were dressed in blue. It looked to me that the Michigan fans were high fiving and tapping the helmets of the Nebraska players as much as they were the Michigan players. That is pretty classy....Just thought I'd mention it seeing as how that is not always the way the Huskers are treated on the road.

• Fire 3

Remember all those stories of the crappy behavior from Wisconsin Fan during our trip to Madison a couple years ago? Notice how you don't hear that about pretty much any other road trip? I think the whole of the Big Ten is like that - pretty classy people, salt-of-the-earth people, good fans and good sports.

I didn't notice the Michigan fans applauding our team as they went into the tunnel, but it's not surprising. They seem like pretty cool people.

My experience at Michigan was a good one. Obviously, I've never been a visiting fan in Lincoln, so I don't have comparison, but it was kind of neutral for me as a Nebraska fan. Nobody had any rude or poor-taste things to say, and nobody had any out-of-the-way comments or kindness either. They just let me do me. Seem like a good bunch, and Ann Arbor has to be one of the best college towns in the country.

Updated main post:

Michigan State - 11/16/13

"The last time we went there, I don't think our players understood the environment... They certainly invite you into the lion's den. Come on in, plenty of room." - Head Coach Mark Dantonio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is going to be my first trip to Neb. I have heard they're extremely kind, and that throws you off a little bit." - Calhoun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm ... unsettled by how pleasant these Husker fans appear to be."

"I went 2 years ago, and it did seem like a trap how nice people were. And then someone made the point that there is no other reason to go to Lincoln, so they have to be nice.

It was a good time, good bar scene, tailgating was pretty weak but a lot of solid pregame bar options"

"Yep. I was creeped out for a couple of hours. No sh#t talk, everyone was insanely polite.

I asked a couple of folks about it, and the best summation I got was "a lot of us are real farmers, so we spend all but 7 weekends a year working, and we treasure coming in for Husker football and truly love to meet other fans that visit." Very cool."

That last line is about as likely to be true (as in, truly said to that person) as someone from Boston telling me they spend all their time out on crab boats fighting the sea which is why everyone in Boston is so fiesty.

It's quite the stereotype to avow as real. Still... if he ran into the right person, or that person was funnin' him, I could see someone from around here saying it.

That last line is about as likely to be true (as in, truly said to that person) as someone from Boston telling me they spend all their time out on crab boats fighting the sea which is why everyone in Boston is so fiesty.

It's quite the stereotype to avow as real. Still... if he ran into the right person, or that person was funnin' him, I could see someone from around here saying it.

i am not sure someone said it or saw a norman rockwell calender and inferred the rest.