Join the HuskerBoard Donor Team - Discounts on Tickets and Gear!

2013 Official Adidas Sideline Coaches Polo are N from HuskerNation.com!!! Discounts for all gear for HuskerBoard Donors!!!

- - - - -

Prayers for UCLA - Walk-on Wide Receiver Fatally Killed While Crossing Street

41 replies to this topic

#1 The Duke

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

Very tragic news coming out of Los Angeles, as 20 year old walk-on freshmen

Nicholas Pasquale, a UCLA wide receiver was fatally struck while crossing the street early this morning.

This obviously will change the tone of next Saturday's game, and thus puts it into perspective that at the end of the day, everything we talk about on this board comes down to one simple thing...it's just a game folks.

From this Husker fan to the UCLA players, coaches, fans, community, and especially for that player's family & friends...we are praying for you, and are so sorry for this tragic loss.

http://losangeles.cb...-struck-by-car/
Posted Image

#2 AR Husker Fan

Team HuskerBoard

• Admin
  • 12,089 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

Indeed, and well said. Thoughts and prayers to UCLA.

Posted Image

Board Rules

Husker Gift Ideas -- Support the Board!

Posted Image

*HuskerNation.com is operated by Huskerboard - sales help pay our high hosting costs to keep the board 100% free. We appreciate your help!

Posted Image

#3 tfree32

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

Sad story. 20 is far too young to die.

#4 presidentjlh

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Absolutely awful.
Hooray for neuroticism

#5 HuskerfaninOkieland

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,880 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

Sad story. Prayers for his family, friends, and team mates.
"hey guys this is apublic cervice announcrymny.

i came in kinda late and chose to watch aome tevlision. a someone left a box of htese chewy chips ahoy on thetable near the table near the television. i never had one before so i had a cookie now i did. i did ant realize that i was keept keating them. like i had no clue. it was all ofer shocked when i realized i had finished a holy sleeve. they snook up on me. htey are not even that tastya but they have a lat of calories and fats so it is hardly even wort it. anywa i hope this helps becuause i feel the real sh#t abot this.';

manhats"

Manhattan
15 Sept 2010
02:29 AM
Posted Image

#6 Nobody

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

It wasnt a car crash... he was hit by a car. RIP

Posted Image

2 0 1 3: 9-4

Wyoming | Southern Miss | UCLA | SDSU | Illinois | Purdue | Minnesota | Northwestern | Michigan | Michigan St | Penn State | Iowa | B1G Championship | Gator Bowl: Georgia

#7 HuskerNationNick

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

This is sad, no matter the age. My prayers are with his family and friends. RIP.
Posted Image

Quincy Enunwa. ‏@QuincyEnunwa
Lol yes @huskerboard we do. A lot of you grown "adults" should be ashamed. Telling people you get inside info. smh. pic.twitter.com/0tQMDBCU

#8 redintampa

Scout Team

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Wow...just getting on the board and seeing this. Very sad. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and UCLA.

#9 The Duke

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostNobody, on 08 September 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

It wasnt a car crash... he was hit by a car. RIP

Thank you for the correction. I will make the appropriate edits to the title & original post right away. It's just a tragic, tragic story.
Posted Image

#10 huskerfan92

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

Just terrible, I think it would be a very classy move if the stadium gave a moment of silence for him before the game. I don't know how UCLA is going to be able to play or even practice this week.
Posted Image

#11 matthew_m_g

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Wow...this is horrible. Thoughts going to the family in their time of need.

Maybe because I'm getting old or something, but maybe we could do something a little more somber and low-key for the game Saturday to remind folks that football is secondary to life and that we're all on the same proverbial team?

For example, we could eschew the tunnel walk for this game in favor of a soccer-style entrance where the teams come out side by side to show respect for UCLA in this difficult time? Then everyone meet at the 50 for a moment of silence?

I dunno...normally opposing teams wouldn't give two s**ts about this sort of thing...but we're Nebraska, and our abnouxiously high standards for on the field production are only exceeded by our fan standards for conduct and decorum. :)

View Posthuskerfan92, on 08 September 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

Just terrible, I think it would be a very classy move if the stadium gave a moment of silence for him before the game. I don't know how UCLA is going to be able to play or even practice this week.

Good...so I'm not the only one that wants to see us do something nice for UCLA.
A Texas Tech fan asked me "Since Beebe is gone, will you come back to the Big XII?" I replied, "Why would we move back to the slums just because the slumlord was fired?"

#12 NUance

Legend

• Members
  • 14,708 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

This is a terrible tragedy. Prayers sent.
Posted Image Posted Image
Just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came. And the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

#13 Bye Bye Big XII

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

It would be the coolest thing to see the team do something like we did for the Penn State game.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 HuskerfaninOkieland

Legend

• Members
  • 13,880 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Agreed. I hope it happens
"hey guys this is apublic cervice announcrymny.

i came in kinda late and chose to watch aome tevlision. a someone left a box of htese chewy chips ahoy on thetable near the table near the television. i never had one before so i had a cookie now i did. i did ant realize that i was keept keating them. like i had no clue. it was all ofer shocked when i realized i had finished a holy sleeve. they snook up on me. htey are not even that tastya but they have a lat of calories and fats so it is hardly even wort it. anywa i hope this helps becuause i feel the real sh#t abot this.';

manhats"

Manhattan
15 Sept 2010
02:29 AM
Posted Image

#15 1995 Redux

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

I agree, the Penn State style moment of unity was awesome. Definitely a fitting tribute for such an awful turn of events. My condolences and best wishes to the UCLA team and his family.
Posted Image

#16 okaive

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

Condolences to his family and friends.
Posted Image

#17 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

This is terrible. I feel so sorry for his family, friends and teammates.
fro daddy, Enhance89 & knapplc are The Trifecta of Awesomeness

Posted Image

#18 California4Nebraska

Scout Team

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

Difficult news... helps to keep perspective throughout the season. Prayers sent out to the young man's family and UCLA. Would certainly be neat to see time devoted in memoriam.
"In the deed, the Glory"

#19 lo country

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Tragic event. The loss of a child is a horrible thing. Prayers to his family and the UCLA guys. Agree we should do something, moment of silence, prayer prior etc.........

#20 Husker NoNo

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

Truly terrible. Thoughts and prayers to the family and the UCLA football family.
Seriously guys....who farted?!?!?

#21 Micheal

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends especially, and all those in the UCLA family. Things like these remind us just how trivial this sport is, life is so much more important.
Posted Image

#22 husker_rob

Scout Team

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

Great thoughts here about potential classy moves we could take before the game.

You guys rock.

#23 ladyhawke

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:45 AM

I read this last night. How awful! My prayers go out to this family. :(

#24 walksalone

Legend

• Members
  • 13,279 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

I concur...
I shall fear no evil, for the shadow is mine, and so is the valley...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#25 matthew_m_g

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

View Posthusker_rob, on 08 September 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

Great thoughts here about potential classy moves we could take before the game.

You guys rock.

Frankly, Rob...we shouldn't rock. This should be something that would happen at any collegiate football stadium across the nation, and we should just be suggesting what would ideally be the 'norm' in how to handle these trying times.

Unfortunately, things are far from ideal in collegiate football.
A Texas Tech fan asked me "Since Beebe is gone, will you come back to the Big XII?" I replied, "Why would we move back to the slums just because the slumlord was fired?"

#26 BoMartinezSuh

Scout Team

• Banned
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

I know this is a tragic event, but i think this hurts the huskers chances. The whole UCLA team will be playing for this kid.

#27 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,118 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostBoMartinezSuh, on 09 September 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

I know this is a tragic event, but i think this hurts the huskers chances. The whole UCLA team will be playing for this kid.

Like most emotional occurrences like this, it can go one of two ways. It can serve as a unifying and inspiring fuel for the team, or it can be something that really distracts from the game and the field (not that that is such a terrible thing - it's more important than a football game). It's tough telling until game time which way it will effect the situation.

Posted Image

#28 NUance

Legend

• Members
  • 14,708 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

(Nick Pasquale is a) Local kid, made it all the way to the CIF Finals at Anaheim Stadium. Lost to Johnny Stanton QB red shirt at Nebraska now. LINK

Posted Image Posted Image
Just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came. And the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

#29 Addison Mode

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,716 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

Tragic. Just feel awful to hear that. Prayers and thoughts to his family, friends and teammates.

#30 AZRaiderH8r

Travel Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Terrible news. Thoughts and prayers to his family and the UCLA program.

#31 QMany

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,829 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Bruins to wear #36 patches on their uniforms.

Huskers wearing #36 helmet decals.
Posted Image
#13N13

#32 StPaulHusker

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,193 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

Somewhat ominous that that is the number of points they scored on us last year.
This thorn in my side is from the tree I planted

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth

If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#33 QMany

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,829 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

@AFRO_THUNDER80: RIP Nicholas Pasquale, to UCLA players, fans and family alike, our hearts and prayers go out to you in the coming weeks.
Posted Image
#13N13

#34 The Dude

Legend

• Members
  • 10,539 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

For you UCLA fans, @AFRO_THUNDER80 is Nebraska wide receiver Kenny Bell.
Posted Image
#Entitled

"Everything we've asked for, we've gotten." - Bo Pelini

#35 Count 'Bility

Legend

• Members
  • 10,373 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

Sorry if this comes off as arrogant, because it's not intended too. But in this situation, UCLA couldnt be going to a better place in the country. I can guarantee they will be treated with the upmost respect in this situation. Not that they wouldnt be elsewhere, but I can guaranteed with 100% certainty that it will be exclusive respect all across the board in Lincoln saturday. With a couple teams made up of a lot of young guys, this is a tremendous life lesson. I expect a very competitive, hard-fought, and CLEAN football game. And win or lose, UCLA will receive the treatment that every visiting opponent deserves anyway. Of course, UCLA has my sincere condolences.
Posted Image

#36 BIGREDIOWAN

Legend

• Mods
  • 24,566 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:56 AM

Terrible situation...................prayers go out to his family, team and fan base during this tough time.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 matthew_m_g

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

View PostLandlord of Memorial Stadium, on 09 September 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

Like most emotional occurrences like this, it can go one of two ways. It can serve as a unifying and inspiring fuel for the team, or it can be something that really distracts from the game and the field (not that that is such a terrible thing - it's more important than a football game). It's tough telling until game time which way it will effect the situation.

To hear Mora say it, they've pretty much lost a couple of days and focus just trying to process this loss. And Mora doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would use a tragic event like this for gamesmanship or to lull Bo into a false sense of security.

Frankly, if the loss is hitting the team as hard as Mora indicated...I kinda wish there was a way we could just postpone the game. I know it's not realistic or feasible, looking at the schedules and all...but still--the kid was a walk-on that represented what was right with Mora's UCLA team. That's really got to hurt.

#38 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,118 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

View Postmatthew_m_g, on 10 September 2013 - 07:01 AM, said:

To hear Mora say it, they've pretty much lost a couple of days and focus just trying to process this loss. And Mora doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would use a tragic event like this for gamesmanship or to lull Bo into a false sense of security.

Frankly, if the loss is hitting the team as hard as Mora indicated...I kinda wish there was a way we could just postpone the game. I know it's not realistic or feasible, looking at the schedules and all...but still--the kid was a walk-on that represented what was right with Mora's UCLA team. That's really got to hurt.

Agreed. As much as I love football, when stuff like this happens....I almost wish they just wouldn't play. Thought the same thing at Penn State in 2011 - but I suppose that's the best way to honor the kid's memory.

Posted Image

#39 The Dude

Legend

• Members
  • 10,539 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostLandlord of Memorial Stadium, on 10 September 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

Agreed. As much as I love football, when stuff like this happens....I almost wish they just wouldn't play. Thought the same thing at Penn State in 2011 - but I suppose that's the best way to honor the kid's memory.

You know, I bet a lot of the players feel that way right now. But when they look back on it most of them will be glad they played this game, win or lose.
Posted Image
#Entitled

"Everything we've asked for, we've gotten." - Bo Pelini

#40 Count 'Bility

Legend

• Members
  • 10,373 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostLandlord of Memorial Stadium, on 10 September 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

View Postmatthew_m_g, on 10 September 2013 - 07:01 AM, said:

Bo alluded to this after that Penn St game. These coaches first and foremost jobs are as educators. It's a time to teach a life lesson that sometimes sh#t happens, and it's just not a time for a game. It's time for a lesson.

Now, on the other side of the coin, in a situation like this one, it may be a great healing tool for the UCLA program to get back on the field and play the game they love, that their fallen teammate loved, in honor of him. They get to go to the greatest place to visit in all of college football where they know they'll be treated with the upmost respect in a time of great need, and play an important game where they can just let it all hang out. I have a feeling both teams will make that young man looking down very proud.
Posted Image

#41 rawhide

Team HuskerBoard

• Mods
  • 9,707 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

CFN support too:

http://www.latimes.c...y#axzz2eKu9Gez2

Posted Image

Support the Board!

Posted Image

HuskerNation.com is operated by Huskerboard - sales help pay our high hosting costs to keep the board 100% free. We appreciate your help

#42 NebraskaShellback

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

Taps Lyrics:
Day is done,
gone the sun,
from the lakes
from the hills
from the sky,