Message to the b.l.a.ckout Hold-Outs

drummer7

Which team are you supporting with your red shirt on Saturday? Last I heard, the colors battling on the turf are blue, gold, black, and white. Please wear black so you don't look like you're at the wrong game. It's one game.

When I was little, I got all kinds of crap from my uncles for going to a game with a black shirt on and I learned my lesson. I never EVER let any of my friends go to a game with me wearing anything but red. But for this one game, red doesn't work.

You should realize that what you didn't like in others- your uncles in this case for telling you what you should do -is exactly what you are doing now? When you say you've "learned my lesson," I don't think you have. What you should've learned is that anyone can express themselves by wearing whatever they want.

You're taking that a little too seriously. That was not some kind of conformity/peer-pressure/discrimination/life-lesson speech. My uncles were obviously just joking around with me, but that's how I learned how the "Sea of Red" tradition and how important it was. Why wear a black shirt in the Sea of Red? It's not a matter of expressing yourself like you're a cross-dressor or a hippie (both of which are perfectly fine, I'm all for expression).

Post of the year.

• Fire 1

Oh wow. You've convinced me. I'll let the other 90,000 know so we don't look like fools.

You'd never get the whole stadium black unless the 90k shirts were given out before the game, but that's no reason not to wear one.

People are already wearing black, so you might as well join them. "It's not going to work" is not an excuse to not wear one. If you know about it, you should do it.

People are already wearing red too, so I might as well join them...?

You're just proving that there's no real incentive one way or the other. If you want to wear red because we're Nebraska then do it. If you want to wear black because the jerseys are black then do that.

There is incentive to wear black more so than red. The players you are supporting are asking you to.

Oh wow. You've convinced me. I'll let the other 90,000 know so we don't look like fools.

I'm going to wear a flesh-colored body suit.

eJ7j5.png

Help! What is the protocol for home viewing? I don't know what I should wear so am thinking about leaving my TV off so I don't do the wrong thing. Damn, I really wanted to watch this game too but I'm sooooo confused.

I can't stop laughing at these three posts. JJHusker, you had me spit my MtDew all over my keyboard.

I do not like the Blue Hair title, so I am going with the Seasoned Fans, due to their lack of Twitter ability, Face Book activities are in general not going to get the information, so roughly 40K will be wearing Red and White. I admit, I have grown to like the idea, but if we do it, we need to do it right. This most likely break the string of Sea of Red, and as bad as it could look, will be mentioned more as a failure, a desperate attempt, by the media.

More planning is needed I think. I am not attending the game, but will wear black as the players are requesting.

I just hope it does not look like crap on TV. Not that it really matters, but I just love the fact that we are known as the Sea of Red, when many other teams, Bama, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Stanford and Oklahoma wear red as well. Every game I have watched on TV, it seems the Sea of Red is mentioned as a positive. Will it be a positive this weekend?

You should realize that what you didn't like in others- your uncles in this case for telling you what you should do -is exactly what you are doing now? When you say you've "learned my lesson," I don't think you have. What you should've learned is that anyone can express themselves by wearing whatever they want.

This is an explosive comment.

• Fire 2

I do not like the Blue Hair title, so I am going with the Seasoned Fans, due to their lack of Twitter ability, Face Book activities are in general not going to get the information, so roughly 40K will be wearing Red and White. I admit, I have grown to like the idea, but if we do it, we need to do it right. This most likely break the string of Sea of Red, and as bad as it could look, will be mentioned more as a failure, a desperate attempt, by the media.

More planning is needed I think. I am not attending the game, but will wear black as the players are requesting.

I just hope it does not look like crap on TV. Not that it really matters, but I just love the fact that we are known as the Sea of Red, when many other teams, Bama, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Stanford and Oklahoma wear red as well. Every game I have watched on TV, it seems the Sea of Red is mentioned as a positive. Will it be a positive this weekend?

I highly doubt the media will say anything about the Sea of Red is a failure.

People should also realize that the players are being encouraged to spread the word since the athletic department has to do the bidding of the "traditional" (old) people with the money. Why else would the players be tweeting and facebooking about it as much as they are? I'm sure the people in the athletic department also think the black would be cool.

It would be if it was a B******, but it is not going to be is the point. Doing it half a$$ed is not the answer. Nebraska does things right, or what I believe. This will be mentioned on TV.

Nebraska WISHES they could do things right, but they can't, they are controlled by the most "traditional" donors on the planet. Even in the stadium last game, the HuskerVision operators put someone holding a sign on the screens that said "Wear black to next weeks game" and left him on there a long time.

Nebraska doesn't know how to handle the balance between tradition and trends. Oregon isn't winning so many games because of their rich tradition.

• Fire 2

No they are winning because of talent and good coaching, best facilities in the country.

I am not against your black out, but you are missing the point. If the University wants this to happen, they have to make it happen. Donors nor fans do not control that. This is a student based idea, unfunded, and on the big scale unsupported. That is why it is a bad idea. Set a date, plan for it, promote it. Not a sign on TV.

• Fire 1

GAAAAH CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE! I feel for you drummer, truly do. I tried the same encouraging thread a while back before the players got behind the notion. Problem is that on here and out there people are set in their ways. Wearing black is like a slap in the face to some. I think maybe if Dr. Tom spread the mesage via AM radio the older crowd would consider the idea. Sadly even the players asking the fans for something in return for their playing time is too much to ask of some tradirionalists. Hope a good chunk of people can forgo their tradition just for one day and we see a great turnout of blackshirts. If not oh well, even those wearing red, be loud and lets beat the Bruins GBR!

The only way this works is if the athletic department shelled out he money for 90,000 black shirts. Even then, some people would be happy with the free shirt and continue wearing red anyways.

I like the idea, it's just an idea that is really hard to execute unless you have an established organizational support, which right now there is little to no time to implement it.

I'm going to wear red and support the team by being loud when the defense is on the field and quiet when the offense is on the field, unless we're scoring a touchdown.