Government Shutdown

Any predictions? Here are mine in order of likelihood:

1. House GOP caves and passes resolution continuing spending at sequester levels. Obamacare is untouched.

2. House GOP briefly shuts down the government and after a short period of time caves and passes resolution continuing spending at sequester levels. Obamacare is untouched.

Actually . . . that's about it.

• Fire 1

Yeah that sounds about right.

They are clueless.

Small ideas from small men.

They're in a tough spot. They're realizing now that their constituents actually believe all the things that they've been told by their politicians. No one seems to have the courage to stand up and say that they have lost on Obamacare. Not that they're losing . . . but that the fight is over.

Yeah that sounds about right.

They are clueless.

Small ideas from small men.

They're in a tough spot. They're realizing now that their constituents actually believe all the things that they've been told by their politicians. No one seems to have the courage to stand up and say that they have lost on Obamacare. Not that they're losing . . . but that the fight is over.

I wouldn't mind this legislative small ball if I felt the Republican party understood the direction they want to go, how to communicate it and then were capable of achieving it. Instead, they have demonstrated that these sort of "battles" aren't meant for achieving grand plans, but rather it's more or less the creation of carnival games that the politicians can play to score points and win re-election.

• Fire 3

Convenient to be able to spin it how you want.

It would seem to me that the House has taken action such that inaction by the Senate and/or President would shut the government down.

:lol:

We might have a true believer here.

How do you explain that it would be the House's fault for shutting the government down?

How do you explain that it would be the House's fault for shutting the government down?

Generally the person who takes the hostage takes the blame for shooting him . . .

So since the House has passed a bill that would keep the government running, it would be the Senate that is holding up the process.

Generally the person who takes the hostage takes the blame for shooting him . . .

So since the House has passed a bill that would keep the government running, it would be the Senate that is holding up the process.

We'll see. I suspect that a significant minority in the GOP caucus agree with your assessment. I sure hope that they do anyways. :D

It's going to be fun to watch.

I think the Senate repubs don't go along wt the house. The house eventually gives in - i don't think the house leadership are true believers in defunding.

There are many who believe that ObamaCare will fail under its own weight - problems, costs overruns, high premium, less coverage, etc leading to public disapproval. I think the likely outcome will be:

1. Delay in full implementation. If the dems were smart they would agree to delay implementation as the general public sees all of the exemptions, and delays in implementation given to some sectors. Too few states have initiated the exchanges and it appears the feds aren't ready to pull it together in time

2. If the general public ends up spending more for HC under ACA, then we will see that as a political issue in 2014

3. Repubs then take control of both house and Senate - wt a mandate to do something about ACA - dismantle it in full or revise it - keeping the good and implementing new policies.

4. Ted Cruz becomes the Republican nominee in 2016 -- Rand Paul - VP - thought I'd go way out on a limb here.

I think the likely outcome will be:

1. Delay in full implementation. If the dems were smart they would agree to delay implementation as the general public sees all of the exemptions, and delays in implementation given to some sectors. Too few states have initiated the exchanges and it appears the feds aren't ready to pull it together in time

The chances of that are very slim to none . . . and probably leaning towards none, IMO.

2. If the general public ends up spending more for HC under ACA, then we will see that as a political issue in 2013

3. Repubs then take control of both house and Senate - wt a mandate to do something about ACA - dismantle it in full or revise it - keeping the good and implementing new policies.

Why would the Republicans have a mandate regarding the ACA in 2014? It was a certainly a focus in the 2012 elections. Doesn't that give the Dems a mandate now?

It's funny because we could either support Obamacare and have a much improved medical system

or

not support obamacare and in the process, shut down the whole government which is massively inefficient and hurts a lot of people in a lot of ways, plus denies support to obamacare so that our medical system remains sh**ty.

Republicans!