Government Shutdown

Funny, and quite telling, what institutions and organizations that the Republicans want to reopen. The VA, national parks, District of Columbia services... but not WIC or the CDC. You're all up in arms about Vets not getting to see a memorial. But babies that might not get necessary formula or vaccinations? Meh.

It's also funny that the congressional representatives (who were definitely not there for a photo op) were apparently hectoring the park police about the shutdown. Because it's the fault of the police . . . and not the GOP representatives. :P

This is your GOP, people.

It was your Democrats when they were out of power, that was the point of my post. There's nothing new under the sun in American politics and to pretend otherwise is either naivete or disingenuous partisan hackery.

Surely you can back this up with examples where a slim majority in the House threw this sort of tantrum over entirely constitutional, already passed and enacted legislation, right? Maybe even some within my lifetime?

Not to mention that I have been a registered Republican but I've never been a registered Democrat. You?

Anyway a couple of new things today.

The White House and the Department of the Interior rejected a request from Rep. Steven Palazzo’s office to have World War II veterans visit the World War II memorial in Washington, the Mississippi Republican told The Daily Caller Tuesday.

Utterly disgraceful. The WWII monument is scenery not a building. They had to put up - and man - barricades to keep people out. Total political theater - the Memorial is open 24/7, regardless of whether it's staffed or not......unless the White House is trying to make things look as bad as possible, of course.

In other news, I'm guessing private Democratic polling on the shutdown isn't quite what Obama was hoping for.

Shut down the government and then complain about the government being shut down. Apparently the GOP is correct in their belief that they can get their base to swallow that. Heh.

All of the sites that never closed during the 1990s shutdown are closed now. Say it with me: political. games.

I can't recall any significant event between the 1990s shutdown and today that might explain a heightened level of security at national landmarks. :dunno

Never forget, etc.

• Fire 2

This bickering is asinine. If you people won't stop digging deeper trenches around your party affiliation you will never ever see what's really going on here.

This country is playing Russian roulette with its economy for no other reason than party politics. And the electorate is supporting them.

This crap in this thread is exactly why we're in this mess. Just keep supporting your party forever, damn the consequences. No matter how far they stray from what you originally believed in, just vote R or D whenever you get to the polls, and BY GOD do not even think to question what they tell you - you might not like the answers you get.

This is exactly why I'm no longer a registered Republican.

That said, if you're still saying that in this situation both sides share the blame . . . well I can't see it. If you do think that, why do you think so?

This bickering is asinine. If you people won't stop digging deeper trenches around your party affiliation you will never ever see what's really going on here.

This country is playing Russian roulette with its economy for no other reason than party politics. And the electorate is supporting them.

This crap in this thread is exactly why we're in this mess. Just keep supporting your party forever, damn the consequences. No matter how far they stray from what you originally believed in, just vote R or D whenever you get to the polls, and BY GOD do not even think to question what they tell you - you might not like the answers you get.

This is exactly why I'm no longer a registered Republican.

That said, if you're still saying that in this situation both sides share the blame . . . well I can't see it. If you do think that, why do you think so?

Ideological entrenchment isn't relegated solely to one side in this fiasco. Does one side own more of the blame? Yes, absolutely. But that doesn't mean the other is right in all things. Surely you're not saying the Democrats are innocent in the drama enveloping Washington?

Ideological entrenchment isn't relegated solely to one side in this fiasco. Does one side own more of the blame? Yes, absolutely.

The bold answers my questions nicely.

But that doesn't mean the other is right in all things. Surely you're not saying the Democrats are innocent in the drama enveloping Washington?

Absolutely not. I don't think that I've ever said anything close to that. My "this is why I am no longer registered as a Republican" comment was in response to your comment about ideological entrenchment.

Surely you can back this up with examples where a slim majority in the House threw this sort of tantrum over entirely constitutional, already passed and enacted legislation, right? Maybe even some within my lifetime?

Can you list a single time Republicans have forced through a law even a quarter the magnitude of Obamacare without a single Democratic vote? Extreme partisanship begets extreme partisanship.

Not to mention that I have been a registered Republican but I've never been a registered Democrat. You?

I'm a pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, anti-death penalty, pro-drug legalization, protectionist-prone, isolationist-leaning Bob Kerrey-voting because Deb Fischer is a dishonest and unethical twit Republican. If you want to pigeon-hole me as a Republican robot, you're entitled to do so, but I hope you'll understand if I disagree.

Shut down the government and then complain about the government being shut down. Apparently the GOP is correct in their belief that they can get their base to swallow that. Heh.

We both know you're smarter than this. All of these memorials are open 24/7, about 12 hours of that unmanned. If security issues were a concern, they would be closed to the public during off hours, but they're not.

My ideological entrenchment is that the health care law (make no mistake, at this point it is a law) should be enacted, because that's the way the system works. This method of "governing" is a dangerous step, and quite frankly, the Democrats can't acquiesce to the Republicans. To do so would completely undermine our system of government.

That and babies of low income mothers should get formula before people get to visit a monument or national park. If that is a controversial stance that makes me a zealot... I'm willing to take it.

It was your Democrats when they were out of power, that was the point of my post. There's nothing new under the sun in American politics and to pretend otherwise is either naivete or disingenuous partisan hackery.

Can you list a single time Republicans have forced through a law even a quarter the magnitude of Obamacare without a single Democratic vote? Extreme partisanship begets extreme partisanship.

So you can't back up your claim? You could have just said so . . .

I'm a pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, anti-death penalty, pro-drug legalization, protectionist-prone, isolationist-leaning Bob Kerrey-voting because Deb Fischer is a dishonest and unethical twit Republican. If you want to pigeon-hole me as a Republican robot, you're entitled to do so, but I hope you'll understand if I disagree.

I don't believe that (given your statements regarding the debt ceiling) I've pigeon-holded you as anything other than representative of the current attitude of the GOP. Hopefully this doesn't give offense.

All of these memorials are open 24/7, about 12 hours of that unmanned. If security issues were a concern, they would be closed to the public during off hours, but they're not.

What do you mean when you say "unmanned"? If you're talking about the Park Rangers who answer questions/give tours then you're correct. Your fixation on "unmanned" seems to imply that they are the only employees working at the memorials.

• Fire 1

Dude, just stop:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A Republican measure to keep national parks open during the U.S. government shutdown was rejected on Tuesday by Democrats in the House of Representatives.

The House Republicans introduced three measures late in the game that were shot down because they would have required 2/3 majority to pass. As your own link says.

Let's not pretend this was some honorable attempt by the Republican side to preserve some of the most important functions of the national government. It's an attempt at keeping continuing the broad shutdown and enforcing their policy demands while introducing piecemeal legislation.

The shutdown is of their own doing to begin with, and to expect Democrats to assent to little pieces so that the broader hurt can last longer is ridiculous.

So you can't back up your claim? You could have just said so . . .

Well, if you insist....

Madison — Amid the third straight day of chaotic but largely peaceful protests at the Capitol, Democratic senators Thursday boycotted a Senate vote on Gov. Scott Walker's budget-repair plan, forcing Republicans to put off further action in that house until Friday at the earliest.

But surely House Democrats would never condone such contempt for democracy, right?

What do you mean when you say "unmanned"? If you're talking about the Park Rangers who answer questions/give tours then you're correct. Your fixation on "unmanned" seems to imply that they are the only employees working at the memorials.

The shutdown apparently hasn't affected security personnel (I'm assuming that's the "other employees" you're referring to), who were on hand to try to keep people away. Tweet of the day: "More security at WWII memorial than at Benghazi."

The House Republicans introduced three measures late in the game that were shot down because they would have required 2/3 majority to pass. As your own link says.

Let's not pretend this was some honorable attempt by the Republican side to preserve some of the most important functions of the national government. It's an attempt at keeping continuing the broad shutdown and enforcing their policy demands while introducing piecemeal legislation.

The shutdown is of their own doing to begin with, and to expect Democrats to assent to little pieces so that the broader hurt can last longer is ridiculous.

The guy specifically blamed the House GOP for defeating a bill that would have restored National Park funding if signed into law. That statement was categorically false, as it was the Democrats who killed it. Unlike most of the lefties on here, I'm not going to pretend that my side isn't playing political games, but I'm also not going to put up with statements that are a 180 from the truth.

10 years ago a few moderate Repubs would have voted for it but nowadays they can't or they have to face the wrath and deep pockets of their own political party. The big money behind the Tea Party has basically declared war on any of the moderate Repubs and do everything they can to get them out. Kansas is a perfect example of this. It's always been a right leaning state but over the past couple years it's shifted a lot further to the right as the Tea Party replaces more moderate options.