Huskers Ice Hockey

As much as I'd like the Huskers to have a hockey team, it's going to be a bit tough. You've got a pretty good team in UNO, several established programs in the region, and I think recruiting would be difficult unless you had amazing facilities and a top tier coach.

Couldn't be too hard. Husker football only has half of that.

As much as I'd like the Huskers to have a hockey team, it's going to be a bit tough. You've got a pretty good team in UNO, several established programs in the region, and I think recruiting would be difficult unless you had amazing facilities and a top tier coach.

Couldn't be too hard. Husker football only has half of that.

I don't think facilities are going to be as hard to come as the coach is...

I don't think the U of N Regents would approve a hockey team for UNL, because it could really hurt the UNO hockey program. The UNO hockey program is the big revenue earner for their sports programs, so I don't see how the Regents would agree to something that would significantly damage UNO.

excellent point...

There are concessions that could be made to help soothe UNO's eventual butthurt over this--promising a two-game home/home series in perpetuity between the programs would be a good bone.

But let's be honest--if UNL wants hockey, they'll have hockey. A lot of the pieces are already complete--we have a conference (B1G) to compete in, day one, we have excellent facilities (Pinnacle Starship), and with hockey, the nice thing is that Women's Hockey is available, which helps remove any real Title XI issues.

This isn't a slam dunk, but if (enough of) the boosters want it...it will happen. Wouldn't be shocked to see it in place by 2020 or so.

• Fire 1

I don't think the U of N Regents would approve a hockey team for UNL, because it could really hurt the UNO hockey program. The UNO hockey program is the big revenue earner for their sports programs, so I don't see how the Regents would agree to something that would significantly damage UNO.

excellent point...

There are concessions that could be made to help soothe UNO's eventual butthurt over this--promising a two-game home/home series in perpetuity between the programs would be a good bone.

But let's be honest--if UNL wants hockey, they'll have hockey. A lot of the pieces are already complete--we have a conference (B1G) to compete in, day one, we have excellent facilities (Pinnacle Starship), and with hockey, the nice thing is that Women's Hockey is available, which helps remove any real Title XI issues.

This isn't a slam dunk, but if (enough of) the boosters want it...it will happen. Wouldn't be shocked to see it in place by 2020 or so.

I don't get the animosity towards UNO. The schools are partners in the state, not competitors.

Also, Howard Hawks is probably the biggest booster out there, and he is a huge proponent of UNO hockey. I don't see UNL getting a hockey team.

excellent point...

I don't get the animosity towards UNO. The schools are partners in the state, not competitors.

Also, Howard Hawks is probably the biggest booster out there, and he is a huge proponent of UNO hockey. I don't see UNL getting a hockey team.

If there were a constant home and home between the two schools, would it not be a positive for UNO to play against a B1G hockey team?

• Fire 2

If there were a constant home and home between the two schools, would it not be a positive for UNO to play against a B1G hockey team?

Yeah, I don't understand why a UNL hockey program would necessarily hurt UNO's, even if they didn't play each other. Do a lot of people in Lincoln drive to Omaha to watch UNO hockey? Would people in Omaha start driving to Lincoln to watch UNL hockey instead of UNO? I don't know, but I kind of doubt it. Unless UNO gets a lot of recruits out of Nebraska (also doubt), UNL's entrance won't decimate UNO recruiting base.

On an unrelated note, it sounds like the students on the current Husker Hockey squad have to pay a couple thousand dollars to play. That's some dedication. Too bad they play up in Fremont.

excellent point...

If UNL were to get a hockey program, it would most likely hurt UNO's attendance and donations from boosters. I live in Colorado, but if I lived in Omaha, I would probably support the UNO hockey program, although I am a UNL alum. I am sure there are a number of UNO hockey boosters that are alums from UNL. If UNL were to add a hockey team, that would probably have a big impact to the UNO hockey program. Yes, they are two different universities, but they are still governed by the same Board of Regents. That is why I don't see UNL adding a hockey program.

• 1 month later...

I think UNL has to get hockey. It just makes too much sense now. And with title 9 and everything, women have way more sports than the men do right now. When I checked it was crazy. Women have like 5 more sports they can play at UNL compared to the men. Anyway, it's just too much money to turn down IMO.

I think UNL has to get hockey. It just makes too much sense now. And with title 9 and everything, women have way more sports than the men do right now. When I checked it was crazy. Women have like 5 more sports they can play at UNL compared to the men. Anyway, it's just too much money to turn down IMO.

Right...because there aren't any single women's sports to counter the 85 scholarships that football provides men...hence the larger number of women's sports.

This is also why universities were recently exploring the idea of women's collegiate football--for the larger schools that can afford it, it's a way to even out the number of scholarships and use existing facilities to do so.

And this is also why if UNL gets Men's Hockey, they will likely get a women's hockey as well (to maintain balance to the number of scholarships). Problem is, there are a lot of costs involved in getting not one, but two programs off the ground.

excellent point...

UNO plays Michigan this year, and used to play Wisconsin, Minnesota, and MSU when they were part of the CCHA.

I heard Gordon Bombay is available.

I was thinking we clone Herb Brooks...

I heard Gordon Bombay is available.

The flying V and knucklepuck could be a real game changer in the NCAA.

Title IX doesn't work like that. You have to have the same ratio of male/female student-athletes that you do of male/female student enrollment, and there are some insane standards for equality as far as facilities and such too (there was a Title IX investigation at my school a few years ago and the investigators were measuring out the inches in the locker rooms).

But basically, the point is that it's not 50/50, it's determined by the student body. If the school has 62% female students, then 62% of the athletes need to be female as well. And like matthew_m_g said, football is such a humongous sport that you need several women's sports to equal up to it.

• 3 months later...

We'd love to have you join, guys.

I think you can have two hockey schools that close together. I know it isn't exactly the same, but up here in Minnesota we have Mankato State 70 miles to the south, St Cloud State 70 miles to the northwest, and Minnesota Duluth 140 miles north, all playing D1 hockey. You can pull it off down there, too.

*edit - I should mention Bemidji State 215 miles north-northwest, but it's hard to take the Bemidji Beavers seriously. Plus they're so far away.