Huskers Ice Hockey

We'd love to have you join, guys.

I think you can have two hockey schools that close together. I know it isn't exactly the same, but up here in Minnesota we have Mankato State 70 miles to the south, St Cloud State 70 miles to the northwest, and Minnesota Duluth 140 miles north, all playing D1 hockey. You can pull it off down there, too.

*edit - I should mention Bemidji State 215 miles north-northwest, but it's hard to take the Bemidji Beavers seriously. Plus they're so far away.

Bemidji not as bad as you think, been to the tournament 4 times in the past 10 years, so not horrible...

• 5 months later...

The Big Ten has some hockey tradition to it, but Eichorst said he's never been nudged by Jim Delany to add a hockey program nor are there any plans for such a move in the near horizon.

Eichorst was clear as clear could be about two things: There will be no beer sold at games anytime in the near future and there will no Husker hockey program anytime in the near future.
"From my perspective, we have 24 sports, and it's about staying focused on that group right now to make sure we can put them all in a situation to be successful," Eichorst said. "I think diverting our efforts from that group just isn't wise."

LJS

• 9 months later...

And so that gets put to bed, so you guys can get your UNO Mav's jerseys...

BTW, thought I'd bump this thread with some words from Frank the Tank back in March 2015:

Instead, from what I’ve heard for at least the past year, Nebraska is by far the closest to jumping up to Division I hockey. The Cornhuskers’ new Pinnacle Bank Arena has icemaking capabilities and the school is also opening a new separate ice arena that can easily be used as a practice facility. Since Nebraska has the expensive physical facilities in place already, they’ve already fought the vast majority of the battle in starting a program. Nebraska has a top tier fundraising operation, as well, so they can get the money into place once they’re given the green light. There have been rumblings about Northwestern, Indiana and Iowa looking at hockey, but if you’re a betting person, you should wager heavily on Nebraska as the next existing Big Ten school to add the sport.

The reason the B1G would want another school to join their Ice Hockey conference is so they don't have odd numbers, as the article covers Arizona State's expansion into hockey and how they'll likely join the B1G (since the Pac-12 doesn't have an ice hockey conference), and that another B1G school will join them.

As for ASU joining the B1G Hockey conference, if the number of B1G alumni in Arizona is true, then it makes sense why they'd join instead of falling in with the Western Conference--in short, ASU would be able to prop up their fledgling program with B1G alum fan money until they get on their feet.

Plus, another thing to look at is that Pac-12 member Colorado has a hockey program as well. And while they're content in the Western conference...I'm sure having a brother Pac-12 school in the B1G Conference could entice them to look at a move if the money and TV appearances were right. Colorado would be a good B1G Hockey expansion target if the Pac-12 doesn't get a conference going and wants to provide a more local 'buddy' for ASU to play (relatively speaking).

Anyway, not saying this is a sure thing. Just saying FtT has been right a lot more than he's been wrong, and he does have a point about the groundwork already being in place for DoNU to have hockey. Plus, starting a hockey program is in Eichorst's wheelhouse...

Eichorst is playing this close to the chest, but I'd feel pretty confident, through deduction and also through 'insider' talk, in saying that UNL will field a varsity hockey team within the next 3-4 years.

Agreed. That, and all of the hard work (building facilities) has already been done. Makes little sense to not capitalize on that...especially when there are no Title IX issues as long as you field both a men's and women's ice hockey program.

• 8 months later...

Uhm there is a hockey ice arena being built literally next to the baseball field. Don't know if it's big enough.

Edit: found a link http://facilities.unl.edu/projects/john-breslow-ice-hockey-arena

Only 700 spectators though.

Right--that's what the PBA and their ice-capabilities would be for...

And here's an article from the Michigan State SB Nation page re: B1G Hockey Expansion, and address the constant elephant in the room that is a supposed gentleman's agreement between UNL and UNO for the former to not add Ice Hockey:

There have been rumors for years (I couldn't find trusted news sources in a quick search to verify truth) that Nebraska, when led by AD Tom Osborne struck a deal with Nebraska-Omaha that when Omaha got rid of their wrestling and football programs to not pull from the Huskers, the Huskers would in turn never add hockey. Even if that is true, Osborne is no longer the AD so I am not sure that is a big concern for the folks in Lincoln. The Mavericks of Omaha have a great coach in Dean Blais, they are in a great conference the NCHC, and they would probably not be scared of the Huskers adding a hockey program. It is not like the teams would be stocked with local talent (like wrestling) so their is not much to lose and a lot to gain from the Huskers adding a program.

I still think that Ice Hockey is going to come rather soon. The John Breslow is complete and it's clear that DoNU has a vested interest in that building. Plus, the building was built with two college locker rooms (per their own site)--I guess why would you call that out if there's no intent to have college teams use the facility, even if Rec will be using it?

Probably not supposed to share this? But I have buddies on the UNL Men's Hockey club team and they were specifically told by the athletic department that the only reason they built the Breslow was for a practice facility for the team. They said the team was still several years out, and that the club team could use the ice as their practice/home facility in the interim.

Probably not supposed to share this? But I have buddies on the UNL Men's Hockey club team and they were specifically told by the athletic department that the only reason they built the Breslow was for a practice facility for the team. They said the team was still several years out, and that the club team could use the ice as their practice/home facility in the interim.

Makes sense. And honestly, they're going to have to get two teams up and going--a men's team and a women's team, so double the work, planning, etc.

Plus the talk of certain Pac-12 teams (namely Arizona State and Colorado) being interested in joining the B1G for hockey only...we would at least get a rival out of the gate with Colorado should that happen...though it would be nine teams. Wonder who would be #10 or if there would be a #10...

I'd be all about hockey at Nebraska - I think it's one of the most underrated sports in America (comparatively). I like it waaaaay more than I do basketball and baseball.

And, in my humble opinion, sudden death OT in the Stanley Cup playoffs is the most exciting time of any sport you'll ever see. The highs and lows associated with hockey are greater than any other sport I believe.

I think it would take time, but Husker fans may flock to it.

I'd be all about hockey at Nebraska - I think it's one of the most underrated sports in America (comparatively). I like it waaaaay more than I do basketball and baseball.

And, in my humble opinion, sudden death OT in the Stanley Cup playoffs is the most exciting time of any sport you'll ever see. The highs and lows associated with hockey are greater than any other sport I believe.

I think it would take time, but Husker fans may flock to it.

Football/Wrestling, Baseball, Volleyball, Hockey.

That would be the order of importance of sports for me at NU.

I would be surprised if UNL was allowed by the regents to start a team, unless they are willing to give UNO the shaft again like when they were forced to cut their football program as part of going D1.

I guess I don't see why UNO and UNL Men's Hockey couldn't co-exist, especially since the UNO team is more seasoned and had more success--I doubt that DoNU getting a hockey team would suddenly upend their program's trajectory...