Thanks_Tom RR

DE Darius Slade [Ohio State - Signed LOI]

We needed a HS DE this class and I love this pickup. Welcome aboard, son.

This defensive line is going to be formidable for a few years to come.

He was all but a MSU lock earlier in the fall, hell of a job by the staff.  We really needed a HS De in this class, and we got a real good one.

We usually do well against Michigan St when recruiting head-to-head (exception is London this year). Now, we should make sure to watch Slade Jan 5 during the Semper Fidelis All-American game in California.

Worth noting, Slade has said to major factor in his decision was Bo. He was sold after all of the players spoke so highly of Bo then he got to speak with him during his official.

He was all but a MSU lock earlier in the fall, hell of a job by the staff. We really needed a HS De in this class, and we got a real good one.

We usually do well against Michigan St when recruiting head-to-head (exception is London this year). Now, we should make sure to watch Slade Jan 5 during the Semper Fidelis All-American game in California.

I don't think we were pushing for London very hard, seems like we have some other RB's ahead of him.

Awesome get. This kid will be proof that stars dont mean much. He is a 3 star kid. Get him in the weight room for a year or 2 in college and let him develop and he will be a beast. His arms are so long and he is very athletic. This kid will be a nightmare for opposing tackles in college in a couple years. Great get staff. Lets keep it rolling.

• Upvote 2

I'm not a Bo-liever, but I have been in awe of what Bo and his staff have been able to pull off on the recruiting trail lately, and it's making me feel better about him. When Callahan was embattled during his final year, we had a good recruiting class that crumbled in a major way, even before his firing was a done deal. With Bo facing negative speculation about his rumors, the class did not fall apart, and now we've got some major momentum and some folks who may be able to come in right away and help us win.

If Bo knows his back is against the wall, it seems like he also is putting the pieces together to fight back out, and make some of us believers again.

@JoshHarveyScout

Slade: “Michigan State was leading until I went to #Nebraska..The fans there are amazing."

What??? A part of a player's reasons to come here was because of the fans???? But Nebraska fans are the worst!!

Not until the players actually start playing and making a few mistakes. When kids are on recruiting trips, fans will recognize them and greet them by name, which I think works wonders for some kids.

I'm not a Bo-liever, but I have been in awe of what Bo and his staff have been able to pull off on the recruiting trail lately, and it's making me feel better about him. When Callahan was embattled during his final year, we had a good recruiting class that crumbled in a major way, even before his firing was a done deal. With Bo facing negative speculation about his rumors, the class did not fall apart, and now we've got some major momentum and some folks who may be able to come in right away and help us win.

If Bo knows his back is against the wall, it seems like he also is putting the pieces together to fight back out, and make some of us believers again.

Bo needs to let the fans help him. He just has to learn to do it. Don't block them out. He can block out the media but he has to reach out to the fans and make us feel like part of the team. Don't put a wall up between the team and the fans just b/c of a few bad apples. I'm still somewhat on the fence about Bo, however i will always support the players and the University.

• Upvote 1

A major difference between 2007 and 2013 is that the players love Bo and that is obvious to the recruits. When you build a program with solid morals and accountability, you get players and recruits that care about winning and each other. When you sell individual playing time and NFL dreams and don't show the players you care about them as people, you get 2007 and the players quit on you and the recruits bail for the next shiny sales pitch.

@JoshHarveyScout

Slade: “Michigan State was leading until I went to #Nebraska..The fans there are amazing."

What??? A part of a player's reasons to come here was because of the fans???? But Nebraska fans are the worst!!

From my experiences the fans at the stadium are 99% the "greatest fans in the nation". It's the "fans" that hide behind message boards and unanimous media statements that are the worst.

• Upvote 5

NICE GET

Digging this focus on D-line

Hoping we can pull-off an upset against UGA. If we can go into the offseason and homestretch of recruiting on a positive note I think we can end-up with a really solid class.

It's the "fans" that hide behind message boards and unanimous media statements that are the worst.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Not all people on message boards are like that...actually probably a minority, but they give everyone else a bad image! :cheers

Kid had more sacks than a grocery store his senior season with 23.5! If he can translate that into 9 or 10 in college I will be ecstatic. Great pick up.

Darius Slade @Darius_Slade 14m

Blessed to say I am Officially Committed to the University of Nebraska! #GoHuskers

DL talent is definitely welcome.

Officially?

I didn't know they changed national signing day to be in december :o

Darius Slade @Darius_Slade 14m

Blessed to say I am Officially Committed to the University of Nebraska! #GoHuskers

DL talent is definitely welcome.

Officially?

I didn't know they changed national signing day to be in december :o

Commitment is all in the mind. ;)

http://sports.omaha.com/2013/12/11/recruiting-new-jersey-de-darius-slade-commits-to-nebraska/#.Uqkr8uKQMhI

Recruiting: New Jersey DE Darius Slade commits to Nebraska

By Sam McKewon

Michigan State may have won the Big Ten title. But Wednesday, Nebraska won a key recruiting battle over the Spartans and Penn State when Montclair, N.J. defensive end Darius Slade committed to the Huskers during a ceremony at his high school. Here’s tweets from Scout’s national analyst, Brian Dohn.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-401863589262008498/football-darius-slade-of-montclair-commits-to-nebraska/

“Each school had something unique about it. Penn State had a great family atmosphere, and Larry Johnson is an amazing D line coach. Michigan State has one of the top defenses in the country. But Nebraska stood out because of what Coach Pelini said. Every school tells you that you can be successful at their school. Coach Pelini outlined for me how I'm going to be successful.”

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/2914294572192169725/darius-slade-montclair-defensive-end-commits-to-nebraska/

“I definitely fit in with Nebraska players very well,” Slade continued. “It’s a beautiful place to be at. And on top of that, Nebraska doesn’t have any professional teams at all. So pretty much, all they have is Nebraska football. Although I hear that Nebraska volleyball is good out there, too. So I’m gonna play in a cool environment and for fans and coaches like that, as well.”

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-401863589262008498/football-darius-slade-of-montclair-commits-to-nebraska/

“Each school had something unique about it. Penn State had a great family atmosphere, and Larry Johnson is an amazing D line coach. Michigan State has one of the top defenses in the country. But Nebraska stood out because of what Coach Pelini said. Every school tells you that you can be successful at their school. Coach Pelini outlined for me how I'm going to be successful.”

He gave away the secret. Now every school will outline how a kid can be successful. Damn.

Really liked this kid tonight. Very, very athletic and fast. Isn't as lanky/lean as Randy Gregory but I think he has the frame to add bulk easier then RG44. We will need a RS year, imo, but he is the type of athlete you want on the Dline.

Edit: as I was typing he gets a sack and flashes the :bonez then the graphic show he was "undecided", but the announcers corrected it.

• Upvote 1

Really liked this kid tonight. Very, very athletic and fast. Isn't as lanky/lean as Randy Gregory but I think he has the frame to add bulk easier then RG44. We will need a RS year, imo, but he is the type of athlete you want on the Dline.

Edit: as I was typing he gets a sack and flashes the :bonez then the graphic show he was "undecided", but the announcers corrected it.

Dude would have run down a running back if there were another 10 yards of field. Great speed. I agree, a rs year to bulk up and learn some technique and we could have a pretty good DE here.

@michaelbruntz

@HuskerExtraBC He has said Nebraska is no longer in the running.

What could our coaches have done to piss him off that much? Pursuing other DE's?