Recruiting Concerns

I've been saying it for the past 3 cycles and today is the day that I get to say I told you so. If we get Bond, which we very well could, we could have another RG44 on the field and the Michigan's of the world won't know where to expect pressure from two different guys. Not just the one.

/ cleans up drool from keyboard...

Can you imagine getting a guy like him on our roster??? Adding another monster athlete that can cover TEs and also help up in run support. I dare someone to run a bootleg to his side. Go get Bond and lock up Gates and then we will add a few names that aren't on the radar right now and call it a solid class.

I've been saying it for the past 3 cycles and today is the day that I get to say I told you so. If we get Bond, which we very well could, we could have another RG44 on the field and the Michigan's of the world won't know where to expect pressure from two different guys. Not just the one.

I said I would reserve some judgement, and after the line domination at Mich I will own up to the guys making good progress, and looking very good. Still leaves me scratching my head even more about that Minn performance.

I said I would reserve some judgement, and after the line domination at Mich I will own up to the guys making good progress, and looking very good. Still leaves me scratching my head even more about that Minn performance.

Agree on the Minn part. Still can't understand why TA or RK3 weren't given a single snap in that one.

Minny is playing good football right now.

They are playing good ball. I was at the PSU game and although I think the Huskers laid an egg in the game against Minn., they were certainly worthy of winning. They flat out beat Penn St down

They are playing good ball. I was at the PSU game and although I think the Huskers laid an egg in the game against Minn., they were certainly worthy of winning. They flat out beat Penn St down

Really like the offense they run after watching them for a few weeks. Kinda reminds me of what Dan Hawkins ran at Boise St and tried to run at Colorado.

Perhaps others have seen this already but I just ran across it and thought it was interesting. An unbiased perspective that addresses some of those "excuses" some don't like to hear about. Would be interesting to see the updated numbers.

Analyzing Recruiting, 2004-2008 (from 2009)

One day in late December, dry-erase boards stood staggered a few yards apart on the track surrounding the field at the University of North Florida. A Nebraska assistant coach was posted in front of each board, and around each coach huddled a clutch of Jacksonville-area high school coaches. The Cornhuskers had come to the Sunshine State to face Clemson in the Gator Bowl, but first-year coach and his staff figured that while they were there, they should lay the foundation for a recruiting pipeline into the state that, from 2004-08, produced more BCS-conference football players (981) than any other.

The Nebraska coaches have little choice but to hit the road. Their state produced only 43 BCS-conference players in the past five years, and the annual output isn't likely to grow. If they don't get their players from Florida, then they must go to California, Texas, New Jersey or some other state rich in high school football talent. To land those players, Pelini will have to work harder now than former coachTom Osborne did when the Cornhuskers dominated the sport for the better part of two decades. Back then, a winning program was enough to lure recruits, in part because only powerhouses such as Nebraska, Michigan and Notre Dame appeared on television regularly. Now, every BCS conference team plays most of its games on television, and 15 years of the 85-scholarship limit has slammed shut the gap between football's ruling class and the former pigskin proletariat.

In the process, the three most important factors in college football recruiting have become location, location and location. Now, the best players are more likely to stay close to home. That, combined with the U.S. population's shift to the south, has fundamentally changed the sport. Notre Dame and Nebraska have given way to programs such as LSU, the only BCS-conference team in a talent-rich state that borders equally talent-rich Texas and Mississippi.

An SI study of 2004-08 recruiting data for the 65 BCS-conference schools and Notre Dame revealed that programs which draw at least 50 percent of their players from within 200 miles or from within their home state stand a far better chance of winning consistently than those that did not.

Out of the 66 BCS schools over that time period, Nebraska was #62 in average distance from campus, #59 in percentage of players from within 200 miles and #56 in percentage from in state. We also managed to be #32 in wins (basically right at average) despite that being the worst stretch for us in the last 50+ years.

I'm going to put together something that completely refutes Dirk's dumbass tweet from today in the next several days. I just broke down the players from within 500 miles that were in the 2009 Rivals Top 250. Out of those, we "missed" two from Chicago that went to ND and NW that made pro rosters; one from Iowa went to Iowa and made a pro roster; one from Colorado that went to Colorado that is now a team captain. That is about it. Out of those guys, there isn't a DE that had better stats than Eric Martin, not a QB who produced more than TMart, and not a running back that ran for more yards than Rex. Dirk being the moron he is.

• Fire 1

I'm going to put together something that completely refutes Dirk's dumbass tweet from today in the next several days. I just broke down the players from within 500 miles that were in the 2009 Rivals Top 250. Out of those, we "missed" two from Chicago that went to ND and NW that made pro rosters; one from Iowa went to Iowa and made a pro roster; one from Colorado that went to Colorado that is now a team captain. That is about it. Out of those guys, there isn't a DE that had better stats than Eric Martin, not a QB who produced more than TMart, and not a running back that ran for more yards than Rex. Dirk being the moron he is.

Tweet the link to your thread at him! chuckleshuffle

I will. I've been trying to get his attention for a long time. As much sh#t as Bo get for "not answering tough questions," Dirk doesn't like criticism either.

I will. I've been trying to get his attention for a long time. As much sh#t as Bo get for "not answering tough questions," Dirk doesn't like criticism either.

I knew one of his relatives. He always came off as a prissy, self absorbed, little whiny baby. So, it must run in the family.