What if Martinez's dad leaked the tape?

Crackpot conspiracy, I know, but that's what the top of the page asks for and I'm really bored on a Friday night. Popped in to my head after reading a snippet of the Rivals news from Wednesday's practice saying that Martinez tried to come onto the practice field without his boot, but was sent back in to put it on.

What if Martinez was holding onto the job despite some major meltdowns at critical times in part due to blackmail that his dad had, namely, an audio tape of Bo railing on the fanbase behind closed doors.

Now, I don't know if Casey Martinez was even at the Ohio State game, so that's a major problem with my theory. However, in trying to find out I found this snippet from an ESPN background fluff piece:

"When he sets his mind on something," Taylor's dad said, "he doesn't settle for anything less. Every time they say he can't do something, he finds a way to do it. I don't think he gets enough credit for that."

Nebraska offensive coordinator Tim Beck saw the unbending attitude two years ago in what he describes as a turning point for Martinez. Wisconsin intercepted him three times in a 48-17 thumping of the Huskers. They returned home a week later and fell behind Ohio State by 21 points. Booed in his home stadium at halftime, Martinez brought Nebraska back to win.

"From then on," Beck said, "he slowly came out of his shell."

Continuing the crackpot-ery, if we look at that section of text we might interpret some things.

"Every time they say he can't do something, he finds a way to do it." That might be something you'd expect to hear from a guy who helped a talented, but ultimately flawed, son pursue his dream to be a QB.

Taylor is physically gifted when it comes to speed, certainly. But he's never reached a completely acceptable level as a passer because he can't throw accurately downfield, allowing the defense to stack the box against us. I believe he legitimately was the best option for Nebraska when he began starting. But let's consider a hypothetical.

As his career advanced, he continued to have issues in critical situations. The Ohio State game followed a drubbing at the hands of Wisconsin in which Taylor did not play well. Perhaps there were rumblings behind closed doors to finally make a change at QB. Following the comeback win against Ohio State, Pelini was recorded. Perhaps Casey Martinez was present (very doubtful), or maybe he just heard about the tape (many after the leak revealed they had known the tape existed) and acquired a copy shortly thereafter. He warns Pelini that if Taylor is benched, the tape comes out.

Fast forward to this year. Taylor plays poorly against UCLA, and despite clearly being limited. After the very public loss, Pelini is done with Martinez. He's got two perfectly capable players behind him (perhaps the continued rotation of QBs is a message to TMart about his replaceability?) and is ready to make the change. He informs Taylor, Taylor cries to daddy, daddy uses his 'nuclear option' and releases the tape.

Bo rides out the storm, explains the situation to his bosses, who show leniency in light of the nature of the material's release. The injury is detailed as 'turf toe', a choice convenient both for its open-ended length and non-grisly nature (as opposed to an ACL, which you can't 'fake'), and the once anointed starter silently becomes the backup as the intriguing young QB that can't help but draw inklings of Touchdown Tommie into your mind, wins game after game.

• Fire 2

I wake up this morning to this sh#t! I guess I now can take my morning dump with out the assistance of coffee or cigarettes! I LOVE MY MORNING COFFEE AND SMOKE!
ahhh...speaking of coffee and a smoke good idea.

By the way the Martinez family were the lead thinkers behind faking/staging the moon landing as will.

• 3 weeks later...

Crackpot conspiracy, I know, but that's what the top of the page asks for and I'm really bored on a Friday night. Popped in to my head after reading a snippet of the Rivals news from Wednesday's practice saying that Martinez tried to come onto the practice field without his boot, but was sent back in to put it on.

cool-it.gif