Memorial Stadium Experience and the Big Red Machine

drummer7

I'm not sure if we all read the hilarity over on tunnelwalkofshame.com, but if you don't you should. Head over and read his post titled "You can be mad at Bo, but don't stop there." In it he talks about upgrading the Memorial Stadium experience. He seconds Jack Mitchell's suggestion of playing "God Is Gonna Cut You Down" by Johnny Cash before the 4th quarter. I think that song says God too much to be considered an intimidating football song, even if it has a cool feel to it. "God" cannot easily be replaced in people minds as "Cornhuskers" (well, maybe it can). Plus, some people would probably complain.

I have a suggestion myself and I want to get some opinions.

First, we bring back the "Big Red Machine" nickname. It's justified, because we still call our defense the "Blackshirts" even when they are miserable.

Then, before the first snap or during the transition between defense and offense, we play a shortened version of

. If there is a long break, we start it at the beginning and then cut to the 3:40ish mark. For shorter breaks, start around the 3:40 mark.

Then what it needs is what Memorial Stadium has needed for a long time, coordinated cheering that isn't just constantly clapping to the music. We need some coordinated machine looking movement (fist pump waves?) and LOTR-Orc-army-sounding Hooo-HAhhhh cheering.

Play some highlights with that s*** and I think we have an intimidating stadium.

I linked the song so give it a listen. Here it is again

Thoughts?

and LOTR-Orc-army-sounding Hooo-HAhhhh cheering.

No. No no no no NO! Absolutely not! Every time I hear that, I want to stomp on a baby bunny

Where are you hearing people cheering like an orc army? Are you thinking of the Seven Nation Army song that everyone does?

Meh. I love Pink Floyd, one of the best bands ever. But I don't picture this song resonating with the team or the fans in the stadium (especially the student section) in a "pump up" sort of fashion. I don't know what would do the trick, as I don't really know what the kids listen to these days, and most of what I've heard is crap, but something that is catchy and upbeat that can get the students jumping around would probably work better.

The team could come out of the tunnel with black cloaks and swords if they wanted to, but it wouldn't be intimidating, it would just be pretentious. Some gimmicks just try too hard.

I don't know if there's an equivalent to Enter Sandman of Jump Around that would not be cliche, but we do know that a better product on the field always gets the stadium rocking, and better sound and production quality out of the existing gimmicks would help as well.

I can go to a local high school football game here and hear better music (that the kids like), and also a better sound system.

Wasn't the sound system supposed to be updated soon or has it already been done?

They said they're looking at it now that the addition is complete. Likely next year.

I don't know if there's an equivalent to Enter Sandman of Jump Around that would not be cliche, but we do know that a better product on the field always gets the stadium rocking, and better sound and production quality out of the existing gimmicks would help as well.

There's so many options for Tunnel Walk music and just music in general. The "try-too-hard" comment was spot on (especially in regards to the original post idea, in my opinion), and there is a fine line. Truthfully, the music package we have right now isn't awful by any means - there is current music in there ("My Song Knows What You Did in the Dark" is a great one), there is effective music pre-snap on defense ("Enter Sandman", "Black Betty", the Glitch Mob remix of "Seven Nation Army" and "The Sickness" come to mind), but here's a few relevant and/or modern songs that could really add to it with a new sound system:

Light Up the Sky by Thousand Foot Krutch

Girl, You Have no Faith in Medicine by The White Stripes

Showstopper by Toby Mac

Those are literally just off the top of my head in 5 minutes. There are so many good and diverse options available.