WOW! Construction at Kyle....

AgMarauder04

That is a good question, Landlord. I did some digging and here is some info that I found:

Kyle Field seating capacity: 82,600

Average attendances over the last few years

2012: 86,777

2011: 87,183

2010: 82,477

2008: 82,193

2007: 82,207

2001: 82,711

To my understanding, they are offering more seats to the students as their school attendance is growing by leaps and bounds.

We regularly sell out. WE have a significant waiting list of season ticket holders wanting tickets. Our capacity is 82,500 and we have been at 86-88K for the past couple years. Season tickets for '14, when new Kyle is complete are already sold out.

Now, in all honesty, I would have expanded to maybe 95K with an ability to jump to 102 later on, but in the end, we will be filling seats. We already have 300K alumni base and have over 50K students on campus. Need will continue to grow over the following years. This expansion is also about making the stadium BETTER. WE love Kyle, but there are lots of SORELY needed improvements being made.

Thanks for the info. No doubt the expansion is unparalleled and going to make Kyle Field the essential mecca of college football - but seeing it announced made me curious. The timing made it seem like, from an outsider's perspective with no context, that the A&M administration was operating along the lines of, "We've finally tasted a drop of real success so naturally we are badass and entitled enough to go-ahead with the biggest expansion project in college football history because we're Texas A&M and we're from Texas and we're in the SEC."

Or something.

so anyone want to start a pool on how many more championships get added? lol

Seriously though. If they just started that then where will they play their remaining home games?

The obvious answer is that they don't have any more home games.

I thought of that at first but seemed odd to schedule last 2 - 4 of season as away games.