At home coffee

I usually only make enough to fill half of my french press, put it in a stainless steel mug, and that keeps it warm for a couple hours. Long enough to drink anyway. I don't think your basic french press is much more expensive than a decent drip machine, but the flavor is much, much better. I also use glass, though I would recommend avoiding the ones sold at Starbucks. They tend to jam pretty bad when you get to the press part. The one I bought here in China is (oddly) the best I've ever had.

If you do get one that sticks when you're trying to push the grounds down, just lift the thing up a little and twist it. Do that a few times and it will prevent you from throwing out your shoulder.

This is my press:

nILBSCO.jpg

Bodum Chambord 8-cup press. I'm pretty sure I bought this about six years ago for $40 or less, which is what it's selling for on Amazon right now. Remove the lid/plunger, grind your beans and put them in the bottom of the carafe, pour 195-205 degree water over the top, put the lid back on and let it steep, then four minutes later SLOWLY push the plunger down.

The one difference between a press and a typical drip maker (aside from the far better flavor) is the amount of lees you find in your cup. It's not filtered, so you're going to have some sediment.

I like a good quality french press or pour over brew . . . but this is what I use each morning for quantity. (Quality is a heck of a lot better than a Mr. Coffee or Cuisinart, too.)

http://www.amazon.com/Velocity-10-Cup-Thermal-Carafe-Coffee/dp/B002AKKCLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384788987&sr=8-1&keywords=velocity+brew+st

bunn-stx.jpg

200 degree brew temp. 10 cups in about 3 minutes. (Christmas present from Mrs. carlfense. I'm too cheap to buy it myself.)

• Fire 1

This is my press:

nILBSCO.jpg

Bodum Chambord 8-cup press. I'm pretty sure I bought this about six years ago for $40 or less, which is what it's selling for on Amazon right now. Remove the lid/plunger, grind your beans and put them in the bottom of the carafe, pour 195-205 degree water over the top, put the lid back on and let it steep, then four minutes later SLOWLY push the plunger down.

The one difference between a press and a typical drip maker (aside from the far better flavor) is the amount of lees you find in your cup. It's not filtered, so you're going to have some sediment.

OK, this is something I am actually interested in. Can you use regular store bought coffee?

The only time I drink coffee at home is on the weekends and will many times only drink 1-2 cups. I'm not wild about the coffee that comes out of my drip maker so the only time I use that is if I'm putting it in a thermos and taking it with me. Otherwise, I actually like Folgers Instant coffee better.

Ok. I got me a French dress and I look absolutely ridiculous in it. And, what does what I'm wearing have to do with how my coffee tastes?

Seriously though, I'm going to have to try this French press thing. I'm not really a coffee snob but being a home beer brewer, I know what kind of difference a little care and effort can make in a beverage. I will say our home coffee maker is a Braun, we grind our own beans (blade grinder), and I really like using Starbucks House Blend Coffee. That is plenty good enough for me and it beats the hell out of what we do at work, pre-ground Folgers in a Bunn commercial double carafe machine. That really isn't terrible until it sits on the burner a bit too long, then it'll put hair on your chest.

The wife is convinced she wants one of these K cup Keurig thingamajigs. Probably not bad for her as she likes foo foo stuff one cup at a time.

• Fire 1

Ok. I got me a French dress and I look absolutely ridiculous in it. And, what does what I'm wearing have to do with how my coffee tastes?

Seriously though, I'm going to have to try this French press thing. I'm not really a coffee snob but being a home beer brewer, I know what kind of difference a little care and effort can make in a beverage. I will say our home coffee maker is a Braun, we grind our own beans (blade grinder), and I really like using Starbucks House Blend Coffee. That is plenty good enough for me and it beats the hell out of what we do at work, pre-ground Folgers in a Bunn commercial double carafe machine. That really isn't terrible until it sits on the burner a bit too long, then it'll put hair on your chest.

The wife is convinced she wants one of these K cup Keurig thingamajigs. Probably not bad for her as she likes foo foo stuff one cup at a time.

There is a kind of Zen joy in grinding and pressing your own coffee. I don't have a grinder at the moment (used to), but really it's not that much effort. The drip coffee has some advantages if you're going to be drinking constantly throughout the day, but if you just need a tall mug in the morning, pretty easy to work into your routine. Basically it just involves a couple more steps. But yeah, totally worth it.

I just have a drip machine (not anymore, it's broken :( ) but I do have a blade grinder which functions just fine. I'm kind of partial to the Eight Oclock coffee, get the colombian whole beans, good stuff.

I drink it black mostly, but every now and then I'll throw some mocha creamer in it. Little sugar boost.

The best is to make a big giant pot of coffee and put it in the fridge. Add a little sugar and creamer and a couple of ice cubes...now that's delicious

I'm a home brewer too, so I get what you're saying here.