Food for thought

husker rob

according to 24/7 the 2 deep roster for the NU/UM game listed 21 players out of 44 on the 2 deep roster (offense and defense) as Sophmore or Freshmen (RS or not).

13 of 22 on defense and 8 of 22 on offense.

That's a lot of young players that are being thrown into the fire right away.

just something to think about when you start screaming that the sky is falling.

• Fire 1

Just a quick glance here....

Hmmm Minnesota Golden Gophers depth chart....

8 soph, 7 fresh on offense 28 deep

7 soph 3 fresh on defense 22 deep

4 soph on special teams 8 deep...

numbers pretty close. Their youth beat our youth....and their less talent beat our greater talent....

Next excuse....

• Fire 4

numbers pretty close. Their youth beat our youth....and their less talent beat our greater talent....

Next excuse....

Without their Head Coach.

Interesting research there.

• Fire 1

according to 24/7 the 2 deep roster for the NU/UM game listed 21 players out of 44 on the 2 deep roster (offense and defense) as Sophmore or Freshmen (RS or not).

13 of 22 on defense and 8 of 22 on offense.

That's a lot of young players that are being thrown into the fire right away.

just something to think about when you start screaming that the sky is falling.

What's your excuse for the other 5 years then?

Just sayin'...

• Fire 1

Next excuse....

Interesting. Checked out the UCLA numbers. A lot of freshman and sophomores on their offensive 2-deep as well. 19 out of 26 to be precise. Yowzers. And half their 2-deep on defense were freshman and sophomores, 11 out of 22.

Next excuse....

Interesting. Checked out the UCLA numbers. A lot of freshman and sophomores on their offensive 2-deep as well. 19 out of 26 to be precise. Yowzers. And half their 2-deep on defense were freshman and sophomores, 11 out of 22.

Huh. So it's the coaching and schemes. Whodathunk?

Food for thought is that in a game against our toughest defensive opponent to date this year, we knew one thing. One thing was emphasized all week long, here, in practice, in the mind of every f'ing person that has a clue about football and even in the minds of a lot that don't know sh#t. What one thing could Nebraska not afford to do? Turn the ball over.

We did it 3 times in the first quarter and 5 times total. That's a problem and it needs to be explained why we keep being our own worst enemy year after year. PERIOD.

• Fire 1

The issues with this team yesterday, and time and time again over the last nearly 6 seasons, have nothing to do with freshman, seniors, walk-on, blue chips whatever. It's systemic problem in regard to the mentality and emphasis on the ever so important little things it takes to be elite in the game of football. I would have very little problem if we lost yesterday with no turnovers and it was becuase our MASH unit offensive line got handled just a bit and our freshman-riddled front 7 on D got pushed around just a smidge too much. I would be proud of the effort and looking towards the future. But yesterday, we dominated that football game. We did. We did what we wanted on both sides of the ball when we werent handing it over inside our own ten. Michigan St offense only drove the ball for 10 legit points. 21 were gift off turnovers inside the twenty and another 7 was a gimme score at garbage time. On offense we really scored 21 points legit, but wasted the few opportunities we were going to get to score points by trying to catch up, and any other opportunities squandered by 5 turnovers. Throw in this mind-boggling punt return issue. It's sad. But it's not a freshman/sophmore issue. It's basic football. And we fail at it miserably time and time again.

After yesterdays nail for me, I dont know how anyone can argue that this staff doesnt literally just brush off special teams, ball security, and moreso in the past, penalties, as nothing more than a waste of time nuisance. It's hard to believe, cuz I know the guys know football, but the writings on the wall. I just wanna see competent football again, where the basics are checked off. Do that, and I know we have the talent to take care of the rest. Quit trying to trick people and just do what we do.

• Fire 1

Next excuse....

I checked Oregon's numbers tonight. This is from Week 1(Top 5 team in the nation currently)

Offense 14 out of 25 were Frosh or Soph

Defense 13 out of 28 were Frosh or Soph

I know that Aliotti has been out spoken about rotating 22 total bodies on defense each game. Thats alot more than Nebraska.

The really maddening part of the whole thing is that the coaches emphasize to us - the fans and media - how important the little things are, putting in the work and doing what it takes to be a championship team. Like not turning the ball over.

And we've heard the players say they all take those things very seriously, it's emphasized a lot in practice, etc.

Somewhere in this football cocktail is a bad ingredient, though. Whether it's in the mental preparation side or in the physical practice side, something is off. This is purely speculative, but I really wonder if this team is put through the ropes enough in practice. Do the coaches put our players in as real of game situation as possible, as many times as possible, in order to prepare them for what's coming on Saturdays. And if the coaches are saying they don't see these kinds of mistakes in practice, then I must ask again - are they putting the players in enough game type situations to actually correlate practice and the games? Are the practices much softer and less full speed than games? Because, personally, I think the way you practice plays a large role in how consistent the play is on Saturdays.

If it's not practices, then it's got to be in the mental preparation and focus of this team. We already know they get very cocky and full themselves at times - we saw it this year and years previously. This is going to happen to any football team, but it becomes a Nebraska excuse far too often.