Spotty at best: Bo Pelini will resign following Iowa game

Mike'l Severe said something today which I completely agree with. We should never celebrate a coach's firing, quitting, resignation, etc. There's so much that goes into it, and once something like that is done, you have to think about that coach's family and what it means to them, but also what it means to all the assistant coaches and their families who won't know if they have a job or not.

So, what I'm saying is, if Pelini really did sign resignation papers, this must have been an extremely tough decision. He would've done it knowing that not only will he and his family have to find a new job/place to live, but that he put 10 other coach's jobs/lives in jeopardy. At this point, I have a tough time believing Pelini would do this willingly given his obvious devotion to his assistants and players.

But, crazier things have happened.

• Fire 6

Mike'l Severe said something today which I completely agree with. We should never celebrate a coach's firing, quitting, resignation, etc. There's so much that goes into it, and once something like that is done, you have to think about that coach's family and what it means to them, but also what it means to all the assistant coaches and their families who won't know if they have a job or not.

So, what I'm saying is, if Pelini really did sign resignation papers, this must have been an extremely tough decision. He would've done it knowing that not only will he and his family have to find a new job/place to live, but that he put 10 other coach's jobs/lives in jeopardy. At this point, I have a tough time believing Pelini would do this willingly given his obvious devotion to his assistants and players.

Great points

Why is it that one person can post something and it manages to get all over twitter, facebook, and message boards.

Because as a general rule we as a species are a self important, gullable and panic stricken lot.

Not to mention Husker fans can be among the worst after the whole "I refuse to let this team slide into mediocrity fire Solich and Hire Callahan " fiasco.

I think the op on the Blackshirts facebook page is more than likely posting a rumor he heard and really has no idea what doing this is going to become should the rumor prove to be false........Husker Faithfull have a long memory and this very well could turn quickly into a 10 year nightmare. .........the kind where 10 yrs from now he writes a check at some store and the checkout person says "Hey aint you the guy who posted the story about Coach Pelini a few yrs back and it was all B.S. ?"

Sorry but I just cant see this going down like that even if it did have a shread of truth to it. Bo is just not the type to give up without a fight.....unless every single emotion and action we have seen with our own eyes out of him is all an act.......and seriously not even John Wayne could pull that acting job off.

The University has alot invested in Bo and company so much so that the best sense money wise would be to give him the rope to hang himself with first.

People seem to forget he and 99% of his staff are all first time guys at the jobs they have so its a given that things are going to need to grow and personally I have seen good strides made every year since he got here and he has NEVER had a losing season as a head coach and with the 2014 class of guys coming together that will be his first 100% Pelini recruited players.

Myself I dont think anything will be done as far as canning him till the 2015 off season and thats even doubtfull. Harvey Pearlman is plain to smart a guy to fire a coach who has never had less than a 9 win season and never had to sit home during bowl season.

When are people gonna get it that in this day and age in College Football things are WAAAAY different than the 90s.

I at least would like to see where he can get us at the end of the 2015 season before I will get me some fire Bo Kool aid and I just cant see Dr. Tom making that bad a choice to carry us into tbe Big 10 and beyond.

Idk why any coach with Bo's contract would resign. If I was in his position and thought I would be fired, I'd make them fire me and take the buy out.

Such things can be negotiated with contract addendums and such.

Not saying this is a done deal, because that's obviously insane. But it is certainly plausible. Especially with a man like Bo, who has integrity and would want to end things amicably, should they have to end.

coin flip.

Great points

It's true and all, but isn't that different than any other job anywhere? I work in the financial industry, if I don't do my job to the satisfaction of my superiors, I get fired and that may require me relocating. The difference is is that I make about half as much as most of the assistants. Plus, in coaching, they all know this is part of the deal. You honestly think Terry Joesph moved to Nebraska thinking he was going to live here for the next 35 years? Fisher, Papuchis?? These guys know the deal and they are compensated extremely well. Sure, it's something that may not be ideal, but Bo made $88,500 TODAY. IN 24 HOURS! I would take that paycheck any day, even knowing that if my boss isn't satisfied, I might be fired.

• Fire 3

It's true and all, but isn't that different than any other job anywhere? I work in the financial industry, if I don't do my job to the satisfaction of my superiors, I get fired and that may require me relocating. The difference is is that I make about half as much as most of the assistants. Plus, in coaching, they all know this is part of the deal. You honestly think Terry Joesph moved to Nebraska thinking he was going to live here for the next 35 years? Fisher, Papuchis?? These guys know the deal and they are compensated extremely well. Sure, it's something that may not be ideal, but Bo made $88,500 TODAY. IN 24 HOURS! I would take that paycheck any day, even knowing that if my boss isn't satisfied, I might be fired.

not to mention that most of them probably want to eventually leave because of their rising stock.

not to mention that most of them probably want to eventually leave because of their rising stock.

Yeah. Pretty much this. I shudder to think of the meltdown had Osborne taken the Michigan St job a few years back

Barney to Bama!!!!! :nanalama

• Fire 1

Since this is all conjecture anyways, I've got a couple theories that could support why Bo would resign.

1- He was basically blackmailed after tapegate, to prevent being let go at that time, maybe he had to agree to resign if certain milestones were not reached this season. It has been rumored that he was required to either get to the CCG and perform well or win it. His demeanor these last few weeks has been extremely subdued imo. It wouldn't surprise me if maybe he has been anticipating this and dreading it for quite some time.

2- Bo seems like a pretty straight shooter and standup guy. Maybe he did not meet some performance standards that had been set and is actually holding himself accountable for falling short.

3- Possibly the rumored 2nd, unreleased, tape recording of him going off at a practice is being held over his head, to assure a resignation and to prevent the distasteful firing of a 9+/- win coach. I would think that would be something the Nebraska AD would be highly sensitive to after the Solich deal.

Anyway, I don't think Bo resigning is near as farfetched as some here do. If true, I've got highly mixed feelings. A few weeks ago, I might've just said good riddance but I've seen much these past two games to renew some hope. One things for sure, this rumor sure does match up with some other recent rumors about Tressel being interested, etc. The fact that this guy, whoever he is, put his name to it, knowing the potential sh#tstorm, only lends credibility imo.