Spotty at best: Bo Pelini will resign following Iowa game

And a conspiracy theory- Bo had this false story realeased to force an up or down vote of confidence by SE. Maybe he is in as much limbo as many of us feel and he wanted to know where he stands so he could be on the lookout for his next job if required.

Edit- this rumour mill sh#t is sort of fun, in a sick, twisted, perverted type of way. Take a couple facts or observations and start spinning a story around them.

Here's my hot take for the evening: Dude be trollin'.

Keep in mind this isn't the first unsubstantiated rumor this season about Bo's dismissal. Red Sea Scrolls was dead sure Bo was gone in the wake of Audiogate, and so tweeted. Anonymous people have been unqualifiedly asserting that Bo is done all across the interwebz after each loss. I don't understand why this rumor seems any more legit.

Plus, maybe it's just me, but it's sketchy when these blockbuster leaks occur late at night. BS is ferretted out quicker during the day. If I wanted to start a rumor, I'd do so late so it could fester overnight.

Finally, the part about Bo resigning (as opposed to being fired at the end of the season) does not pass the sniff test. The only reason I can think of for why a HC would resign would be that there is some very dark dirt about to be exposed. I don't think that's the case with Bo. I find it hard to believe that that Bo, or any HC at a major program, would resign out of a sense of honor. Has anyone ever done that?

If a school wants to fire the HC for poor performance, it pays whatever penalty is in the HC's contract. Bo, or any HC for that matter, isn't going to turn down liquidated damages out of a sense of selfless devotion to the school that wants to kick him to the curb. Plus, I thought there was some recording where Bo tells Nebraska that it can stuff itself.

• Fire 1

Here's my hot take for the evening: Dude be trollin'.

Keep in mind this isn't the first unsubstantiated rumor this season about Bo's dismissal. Red Sea Scrolls was dead sure Bo was gone in the wake of Audiogate, and so tweeted. Anonymous people have been unqualifiedly asserting that Bo is done all across the interwebz after each loss. I don't understand why this rumor seems any more legit.

Plus, maybe it's just me, but it's sketchy when these blockbuster leaks occur late at night. BS is ferretted out quicker during the day. If I wanted to start a rumor, I'd do so late so it could fester overnight.

Finally, the part about Bo resigning (as opposed to being fired at the end of the season) does not pass the sniff test. The only reason I can think of for why a HC would resign would be that there is some very dark dirt about to be exposed. I don't think that's the case with Bo. I find it hard to believe that that Bo, or any HC at a major program, would resign out of a sense of honor. Has anyone ever done that?

If a school wants to fire the HC for poor performance, it pays whatever penalty is in the HC's contract. Bo, or any HC for that matter, isn't going to turn down liquidated damages out of a sense of selfless devotion to the school that wants to kick him to the curb. Plus, I thought there was some recording where Bo tells Nebraska that it can stuff itself.

Sadly, I could believe there's some deep dirt. Strong to quite strong rumors of more tapes of Bo not being very nice to people. Widespread reports that he's not happy living in Lincoln. Carl Pelini and his baggage not being a new thing to Florida, there's a lot of smoke here. This guy's ill fated facebook post notwithstanding.

• Fire 1

I'm not a Bo-liever but I would be a bit disgusted if this were true. It speaks to a predetermined agenda-driven coaching coup which is exactly what we experienced in 03. Bo deserves to coach through the regular season and save his job. If he drops the next two, okay--decisions have to be made by the top guys who get paid for this sh#t and we as fans are really in no position to accurately assess a business decision of that magnitude.

I'm pretty conflicted about this whole discussion. I don't have many reasons to think Bo is going to get over the hump outside optimistic appraisals of the defense going forward. However, we've had great defenses in the past and still have no more hardware to our name than we did in 07. The meltdowns, blowouts, turnovers, and sheer ineptitude in different areas (e.g. special teams) make me much more skeptical than some.

It's true and all, but isn't that different than any other job anywhere? I work in the financial industry, if I don't do my job to the satisfaction of my superiors, I get fired and that may require me relocating. The difference is is that I make about half as much as most of the assistants. Plus, in coaching, they all know this is part of the deal. You honestly think Terry Joesph moved to Nebraska thinking he was going to live here for the next 35 years? Fisher, Papuchis?? These guys know the deal and they are compensated extremely well. Sure, it's something that may not be ideal, but Bo made $88,500 TODAY. IN 24 HOURS! I would take that paycheck any day, even knowing that if my boss isn't satisfied, I might be fired.

A person signs up for the army knowing they might be killed - doesn't make telling the family their son/daughter is dead any easier.

The other difference is, in most situations that I can think of outside of sports, firing a boss doesn't always correlate to the assistants and those beneath that boss being fired or seriously questioning their job status.

I know my above example is a little extreme. The coaches do sign up for this lifestyle - the scrutiny, the tough decisions, the celebrity status that comes with it, and then the monster paycheck. That certainly matters. But, that doesn't make deciding to either fire a head coach, or resign as a head coach, something that's easy. It's important for all fans to keep in perspective that no matter your opinion of Pelini or his staff, they're still people. That doesn't remove them from scrutiny - again, that's part of the job - but, I still think people lose sight that these are human beings with families and lives to think about in these types of decisions.

• Fire 1

For some reason I feel I know where this bull sh#t is coming from. Got a facebook message from a buddy that said he heard from a "media source" that Bo will be bought out at the end of the year. I then sent a message to a respected member of this board and he told me that a "media source" told someone in confidence that he will never write anything positive about Bo and he writes every article about Husker football with the idea of Bo getting canned. If this is coming from the same source, this guy can f#*k off and I would enjoy doing what the Green Street Hooligans do to filthy muck-raking journos.

With the above said, I don't put much stock into this guy that started this rumor. Even if it is true, the "source" he got it from will obviously never tell him anything again or told him this with every intention that he would do what he did. Also, to our lawyers or law students on the board, if I were Bo Pelini and I did this dumb f#*k claimed he did there would be an iron clad non-disclosure form to any and all in the room that witnessed me sign my resignation papers. What you think??

When this is not true, this guy and the audio-tape gate guy become our Steve Bartman. f#*k them and they should be ashamed to call themselves fans of Nebraska. This is the same thing as rooting for your team to lose. You take an unwarrented swipe at the program with the intention that it will hurt it only to try to get people fired?? f#*k you and I hope you are reading this.

All-in-all, I am putting my head in the sand and not going to worry about this sh#t. It is another bull sh#t distraction from football that our team doesn't need and something that is out of the control of (at least I believe) all on this board.

There's nothing to be disgusted about, X. If this is true, the administration decided at some point during this season to part ways with Bo (whether that was after UCLA, after audiogate, or after elimination from CCG/BCS contention) and in lieu of a firing are giving him an out by letting him leave on his own terms.

Nebraska isn't immune to having down years. We've had a lot of them already. Either Bo is our Pete Carroll / Bob Stoops / Nick Saban that returns the program to national prominence, or he isn't. If he isn't, I can't really argue against wanting to give another guy a shot. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but Bo's had a pretty good long shot of it to date. Maybe if we give him another year things will be different. I'd actually kinda like to see that. But maybe it will be more of the same, like the last time or times we said "one more year."

I don't understand why any fan of the program would want to throw this out there. Meh.

• Fire 1