WR Niles Paul

Pretty good article from The World Herald.

Niles Paul, welcome to Lambeau Field. Make yourself at home.

Niles Paul, an Omaha North senior and Nebraska wide receiver recruit, recently spent two weeks in Wisconsin working out with Ahman Green, his uncle, and the Packers.

There are monetary perks to running fast and jumping high, social advantages to catching an oblong pigskin and avoiding brutish pursuers. And then there are the benefits that come with being Ahman Green's nephew.

Paul, an Omaha North senior and Nebraska wide receiver recruit, recently spent two weeks in Wisconsin working out with Uncle Ahman and the Packers.

"I knew I was going to get humbled," said Paul, the 6-foot-2, 210-pounder.

Paul will be considered one of the top receivers in the state this fall. He's interested in winning a state title. But he doesn't hide his glances at the distant future. So when Green invited him to job shadow, Paul packed his bags and took a summer vacation. He wouldn't exactly call it that.

Paul pushed carts full of water jugs. He charged up hills with weights. He studied Packer receivers Donald Driver and Robert Ferguson. He caught footballs shot out of a gun at 55 mph while Brett Favre mocked him, "That's how hard I throw, boy."

"I hope it prepares me for the pros," Paul said. "Not just college, not just high school, but for the pros."

Ahman wanted Niles to learn the ropes, to see that NFL players are older, but they still joke around and enjoy the daily grind. He wanted Niles to see that his athletic ability isn't so different from the Packers.

"It's more mental than anything physical on my level of football," Green said. "Every single player is big and fast."

So little things set competitors apart, Green said. Running a perfect route. Getting your hands in proper position. That's why Driver and Ferguson tweaked Paul's hand placement; his thumbs and index fingers didn't form a diamond, as they should.

Green rolled Paul out of bed every day at 7:30 a.m. They drank protein shakes and ate breakfast before driving to Lambeau, where Green had players' meetings. During those two hours, Paul was on his own. He played video games in the lounge most of the time. He looked around.

"Everything you desire was in that stadium," Paul said.

Walk onto a North High School practice field and it doesn't take long to pick out the Division I recruit.

Paul's got a build similar to the one Green had as a high school senior. He's a few inches taller. When Paul arrived in Green Bay, Ahman told Driver and Ferguson that the kid was a senior. They thought that meant college.

"They couldn't believe how big he was," Green said. "They're like, 'Oh my God. That's how they grow them now?'"

Still, Paul needs to get stronger, he said. Green said the kid's hands need work. With the gun set at 55 mph, he dropped several crossing routes.

"If he adapts to that, he'll have a lot of balls caught this season," Green said.

Green, who led Nebraska in rushing his first fall on campus, hopes Paul can make an impact in 2007 like he did as a Husker freshman. Another Green relative, cousin Tierre, will likely be a senior when Paul arrives.

"All in the family," Green said.

Green encourages Paul to think and act like a professional. It'll take a while before he's NFL-ready, Green said, but adopting that mind-set only helps. Paul will get more practice in two weeks when he returns to Green Bay.

"He told me we're going to go from (pushing) carts to Cadillacs," Paul said. "He doesn't tell a lie."

I think its good to get this kid working around some professionals. It will only make him better. That would be awesome to have a relative with connections like that.

Niles goes to my school, and has been in my classes before. He's not only a great player, but a great person. He's the classic Husker, who gets good grades, a funny kid, and of course a great athlete. Check him out with the Vikings this season, along with Iowa State recruit Phil Bates.