The All-B1G Assistant Coaching team includes 0 NU coaches

http://btn.com/2013/12/10/dienhart-all-big-ten-assistant-coaching-team/

I know the list itself is meaningless, but it simply reaffirms what all of us already know: that Bo has surrounded himself with a group of assistant coaches that are either not pulling their weight, or are inexperienced and learning on the job.

The only NU coach who came close to being on the list was Rich Fisher, who is probably my favorite assistant coach as well, along with Terry Joseph.

So with the offseason upon us (sort of), what specific coaching changes do you want to see after the bowl game/NSD?

I'll start:

-We need a new OC. It's time to find a proven commodity as OC who won't continually sh#t the bed as a play caller. If I'm Bo, I go find my guy who runs the style of offense that I want to be run and then let him choose his assistants, with heavy recommendations to keep Garrison, Brown, and Fisher.

-Get rid of Barney. He does nothing. I find it as no coincidence that he just moved from OL coach to TE coach, and this season the OL is as good as it has been in a LONG time, and the TE position was flat out underwhelming.

-To go along with the last one, with the spot on staff open from Barney, hire another offensive assistant. Whether they pass the TEs on to Fisher/Garrison and hire a QB coach, or create a position elsewhere such as a dedicated special teams coach who knows what the hell they are doing.

-Like I just said, find someone who can develop a quality special teams unit. I don't care how it's done, but our ST's are absolutely abysmal.

-With the defense, I'm not opposed to finding a proven DC, but with the direction that this young defense is headed, continuity is key IMO. Keep the staff together on that side of the ball and stay the course.

What say the rest of you?

• Fire 1

The thing is, for every assistant position we add, we need to get rid of a position. Nine assistant coaches at max, and two GAs. What assistant coaching position would we get rid of?

But I think you can add as many Strength Coaches as you want. Perhaps we should add couple of those.

edit: Am I wrong about having 2 GAs? We have four. How is that possible? LINK

For those to lazy to read (like I am usually)

Offensive Coordinator

Winner: Tom Herman, Ohio State

Honorable /mentions: Seth Litrell, Indiana. Tim Beck, Nebraska. Andy Ludwig, Wisconsin. Greg Davis, Iowa. Bill O'Brien, Penn State. Dave Warner, Michigan State. Matt Limegrover, Minnesota. Bill Cubit, Illinois.

Offensive Line

Winner: Matt Limegrover, Minnesota

Honorable Mentions: Ed Warinner, OSU. Greg Frey, Indiana. Mark STaten, Michigan State. Brian Ferentz, Iowa. Barney Cotton, Nebraksa. TJ Woods, Wisconsin. Mac McWhorter, PSU.

Running Backs

Winner: Thomas Hammock, Wisconsin

Honorable Mentions: Brian Anderson, Minnesota. Stan Drayton, OSU. Dave Warner, MSU. Deland McCullough, Indiana. Chris White, Iowa. Ron Brown, Nebraska. Charles London, PSU.

Quarterbacks

Winner: Bill Cubit, Illinois.

Honorable Mentions: Brad Salem, MSU. Greg Davis, Iowa. Tim Beck, Nebraska. Jim Zebrowski, Minnesota. John Shoop, Purdue. Mick McCall, NU.

Wide Receivers

Winner: Terrence Samuel, Michigan State.

Honorable Mentions: Rich Fisher, Nebraska. Mike Bellamy, Illinois. Bobby Kennedy, Iowa. Kevin Johns, Indiana. Jeff Hecklinski, Michigan. Stan Hixon, PSU. Kevin Sherman, Purdue. Dennis Springer, NU.

Tight Ends

Winner: Jim Bollman, Michigan State.

Honorable Mentions: Tim Hinton, OSU. Jeff Genyk, Wisconsin. John Strollo, PSU. Barney Cotton, Nebraska. Alex Golesh, Illinois. Rob Reeves, Minnesota. Seth Litrell, Indiana.

Defensive Coordinator

Winner: Pat Narduzzi, Michigan State

Honoroable Mentions: Dave Aranda, Wisconsin, Tracy Claeys, Minnesota. Phil Parker, Iowa. Luke Fickell, OSU.

Defensive Line

Winner: Reese Morgan, Iowa.

Honorable Mentions: Ron Burton, MSU. Mike Vrabel, OSU. Larry Johnson, PSU. Jeff Phelps, Minnesota. Chad Kauha'aha'a, Wisconsin. Greg Mattison, Michigan.

Linebackers

Winner: Dave Aranda, Wisconsin

Honorable Mentions: Bill Miller, Minnesota. Mike Tressel, MSU. LeVar Woods, Iowa. Luke Fickell, OSU.

Secondary

Winner: Harlon Barnett, Michigan State.

Honorable Mentions: Bill Busch and Ben Strickland, Wisconsin. Phil Parker, Iowa. Terry Joesph, Nebraska. Jay Sawel, Minnesota.

Special Teams

Winner: Jeff Genyk, Wisconsin

Honorable Mentions: Kerry Coombs, OSU. Mike Tressel, MSU.

Winners by School

Michigan State - 4

Wisconsin - 3

Iowa - 1

Illinois - 1

Minnesota - 1

Ohio State - 1

Honorable Mentions by School

Illinois - 3

Indiana - 5

Iowa - 8

Michigan - 2

Michigan State - 7

Minnesota - 8

Nebraska - 7

Northwestern - 2

Ohio State - 7

Penn State - 6

Purdue - 2

Wisconsin - 6

Assigning three points for each winner and one point for each honorable mention we get the following totals:

Illinois - 6

Indiana - 5

Iowa - 11

Michigan - 2

Michigan State - 19

Minnesota - 11

Nebraska - 7

Northwestern - 2

Ohio State - 10

Penn State - 6

Purdue - 2

Wisconsin - 15

Compare that to their total salaries for coaches:

Illinois $3,900,000

Indiana $3,263,120

Iowa $5,936,400

Michigan $5,972,120

Michigan State $4,135,250

Minnesota $3,300,000

Nebraska $5,025,800

Northwestern $1,280,751

Ohio State $7,588,000

Penn State $2,300,000

Purdue $2,580,304

Wisconsin $4,413,490

Divide salary by points and you can see how much each school paid per point (the lower the better):

1. Michigan State $217,645

2. Wisconsin $294,233

3. Minnesota $300,000

4. Penn State $383,333

5. Iowa $539,673

6. Northwestern $640,376

7. Illinois $650,000

8. Indiana $652,624

9. Nebraska $717,971

10. Ohio State $758,800

11. Purdue $1,290,152

12. Michigan $2,986,060

Some caveats before I get sharp-shot to hell, here are some things I already know:

1. That this "best assistant coaches" thing is arbitrary and pointless

2. That the USA today article I used to find assistant coaching salaries is dated and probably inaccurate

3. There are probably some errors in my math

4. There are probably some errors in my coping/counting of names from the BTN article

5. That I counted assistant coaches who were named for more than one position

6. That this is all a waste of time.

:cheers

:afro:

• Fire 3

An easier and more accurate way to gauge the "worthiness" of said coach to the program is ask this question.

"What members of the current staff would hurt NU if they were to be hired away by another school?

I can think of a few:

Brown

Fisher

Garrison

Kaz (DL actually started to get it together)

Els (ditch ST and recruiting duties) LB appearing to be a bright spot this year

Joseph (appears to have done a decent job)

The rest would not impact NU if they were to go.

The list is bogus

DEFENSE

Coordinator:

Honorable mention: Ohio State’s Luke Fickell and Everett Withers

you guys give up 21 points per game, on a tougher schedule than us and lead the big ten in sacks....

Had they had Vrabel in it, then I wouldn't complain, seeing as its his players responsible for the sacks. Withers is specifically responsible for the swiss cheese of a zone defense you see. Fickel, well he might get a pass due to injuries.