Recruiting gone cold?

We only have three open spots at the moment. Pelini said as high as 25 which would be six more and those last three would require attrition.

Here's what I have for next year - (I think this list is based of yours from a while back).

Seniors (14) - Ameer Abdullah, Kenny Bell, Tyler Evans, Jamal Turner, Jake Cotton, Matt Finnin, Mike Moudy, Mark Pelini, Jay Guy, Tobi Okuyemi, Zaire Anderson, Joshua Mitchell, Corey Cooper, Harvey Jackson

Juniors (17) - Imani Cross, Andy Janovich, Taariq Allen, David Sutton, Givens Mordi Price, Ryne Reeves, Zach Sterup, Chongo Kondolo, Randy Gregory, Kevin Williams, Aaron Curry, Max Pirman, David Santos, Daniel Davie, Jonathan Rose, Charles Jackson, Mauro Bondi

Sophomores (19) - Tommy Armstrong, Terrell Newby, Alonzo Moore, Jordan Westerkamp, Sam Cotton, Cethan Carter, Paul Thurston, Corey Whitaker, Greg McMullen, Avery Moss, Vincent Valentine, Maliek Collins, Kevin Maurice, Jared Afalava, Michael Rose, Josh Banderas, Nathan Gerry, LeRoy Alexander, Gabe Miller

Redshirts (13) - Johnny Stanton, Adam Taylor, Kevin Gladney, Greg Hart, Zach Hannon, Dwayne Johnson, David Knevel, A.J. Natter, Courtney Love, Marcus Newby, Boaz Joseph, Drake Martinez, D.J. Singleton

That leaves us with 63 right now. Add in the 19 currently committed and we're at 82. I'm guessing they already know of at least 2 that are packing things up. Likely Guy, Moss. That's 5. Then there's always 1 we don't see coming. I definitely think we can sign 25, possibly a couple more. History shows that by August we're always 3-4 schollies short of 85. I don't see any walk-ons that jump out as deserving. Maybe Roach or Burtch.

B1G rules are strick though. You can only go over 25 by 3 and those 3 have to count against the previous year, i.e. you can't have taken 25 the year prior to oversign. The other restriction is a hard cap on the 85 limit. I believe the cut off date for being counted on the roster for the 85 limit is JAN, need to look it up though. So no matter what you do, the players have to be off the team, and fully documented, to be a spot. Bottom line is that rules prevent B1G oversigning to account for unplanned attrition.

B1G rules are strick though. You can only go over 25 by 3 and those 3 have to count against the previous year, i.e. you can't have taken 25 the year prior to oversign. The other restriction is a hard cap on the 85 limit. I believe the cut off date for being counted on the roster for the 85 limit is JAN, need to look it up though. So no matter what you do, the players have to be off the team, and fully documented, to be a spot. Bottom line is that rules prevent B1G oversigning to account for unplanned attrition.

Here's what I could find. Doesn't seem to be a deadline - at least not listed here. And there isn't any rule regarding the 25. I think that is what the SEC used when they tried to "restrict" oversigning. B1G is different, it's soley based on the 85 as far as I can tell.

http://oversigning.c...-10-conference/

The Big Ten exception in football is that an institution may oversign by 3. Our rule isn't based on the NCAA limit of 25 initial counters, it's based on the number of scholarships available. Using your example, if an institution has 65 countable scholarships returning, the institution could sign up to 23.

When we approved limited oversigning in 2002, part of the deal was that institutions that did oversign would need to provide "sunshine" to allow for peer review. This reporting includes identifying the individuals who received the offers that created the oversigned situation. In addition, institutions that actually oversign would need to provide a person-by-person accounting for how the institution comes into compliance with the NCAA limit of 85; this includes reporting on not only the new signees, but also the status of each student-athlete who received countable aid in the previous academic year.

Over the years, a few institutions have used the exception to oversign, but what we've seen is that the majority do not use the exception.

That leaves us with 63 right now. Add in the 19 currently committed and we're at 82. I'm guessing they already know of at least 2 that are packing things up. Likely Guy, Moss. That's 5. Then there's always 1 we don't see coming. I definitely think we can sign 25, possibly a couple more. History shows that by August we're always 3-4 schollies short of 85. I don't see any walk-ons that jump out as deserving. Maybe Roach or Burtch.

I agree on the 82 number. Sounds pretty likely Guy is gone. I think Moss will be back. Possibly Okuyemi gone as well. Possibly Afalava. I could see getting to 25. Anything past that would be a surprise, but like you said, that's a possibility. Tyler Evans is the only other upperclassman that is unlikely to contribute so I don't see many other good candidates. But I guess then it wouldn't be a surprise. :lol:

I could definitely see Burtch getting a scholly. I wouldn't think Roach would unless we have extras. Reilley and Foltz would be the next in line I would think but it doesn't look like we'll have a lot of extras this time around.

Here's what I could find. Doesn't seem to be a deadline - at least not listed here. And there isn't any rule regarding the 25. I think that is what the SEC used when they tried to "restrict" oversigning. B1G is different, it's soley based on the 85 as far as I can tell.

The Big Ten exception in football is that an institution may oversign by 3. Our rule isn't based on the NCAA limit of 25 initial counters, it's based on the number of scholarships available. Using your example, if an institution has 65 countable scholarships returning, the institution could sign up to 23.

When we approved limited oversigning in 2002, part of the deal was that institutions that did oversign would need to provide "sunshine" to allow for peer review. This reporting includes identifying the individuals who received the offers that created the oversigned situation. In addition, institutions that actually oversign would need to provide a person-by-person accounting for how the institution comes into compliance with the NCAA limit of 85; this includes reporting on not only the new signees, but also the status of each student-athlete who received countable aid in the previous academic year.

Over the years, a few institutions have used the exception to oversign, but what we've seen is that the majority do not use the exception.

I'm pretty sure there is a limit of 25 per year. The two JUCOs we've already signed can count towards last year so we could get to 27.

I'm pretty sure there is a limit of 25 per year. The two JUCOs we've already signed can count towards last year so we could get to 27.

Yes the NCAA limit of 25 in each class year still applies. The big issue is when the 85 is counted. The NCAA sets the date at AUG 1, which allows ample time for rosters to be massaged. B1G teams physically can't sign more than 3 over the 85 so they need to go by end of JAN data essentially, not what may happen over the summer after Spring Ball. It is a huge difference as it is a hard cap on signing day, no room to fudge based on probable post Spring departures.

Correct. I think that Darlington can, too, if he arrives in January. I think that Okuyemi, Guy, Afalava, and maybe Moss (hopefully not) will be gone. So I could see us getting to that 28 limit if we get the right guys. Still need a couple of true CBs and some OTs, hopefully a feature RB.

Also, how does Alex Lewis fit in if he is going to be part of the team?