Kevin Sumlin considering Terry Joseph

Sounds like he's already recruiting for A&M. Don't think he was ever going to wait for us to counter offer.

please explain.......

He offered Mattrell McGraw tonight for Texas A&M per their 247 site

If so he was already being recruited by Joseph for Nebraska according to this

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Mattrell-McGraw-137939#college_choices

It is pretty sad he has to do this in order to get more money.

As someone who is in the industry of getting people jobs... You never accept a counter offer.

Just curious, but how come?

I honestly think it is in part to our previous AD who was not a big believer in the arms race of assistant salaries. Leads to poor hires, as conversations stop when the money is known to be low

Is that really substantiated? I thought Nebraska has paid its assistants commensurate to their worth, up to this point. Some of them didn't make a whole lot, but that's because you don't make a whole lot when you're just coming out of a GA (for example), or when you're a first-time OC. Beck is pretty well paid, by now.

So, in my world it is usually is someone leaving their current job for another job... current jo offers them more money to stay.

The reason why you dont accept a counter is for a few reasons.

1) now the company knows you are looking.. hurts the relationship-- kind of like cheating on your girlfriend

2)being the most recent to get a pay in crease means in case of layoff you are first to be cut

3) sometimes they give you money to keep you around long enough to find your replacement

4) There was a reason you were looking before usually outside money... money wont fix that

5) If it takes quitting to get paid what you are worth, than maybe they dont properly evaluate your worth.

In my world they say 70% of people who accept a counteroffer arent in that role in 6 months.

Anyone else have a bad taste in their mouth after reading his comments about it all being about him getting his contract extended and getting paid?

Don't want to make too much of it, but if that is the sole reason you're in it, don't let the door hit ya.

This ^^^

Anyone else have a bad taste in their mouth after reading his comments about it all being about him getting his contract extended and getting paid?

Don't want to make too much of it, but if that is the sole reason you're in it, don't let the door hit ya.

This ^^^

It's plus or minus a 20% raise, more than a lateral move, and with the uncertainty about Bo's job status all year he'd be dumb not to consider it.

I find this comical overall. So many kneejerk folks wanted coaching changes (including myself in hard times). Well..........

I think the distinction is that many folks (kneejerk or not) wanted our less talented coaches to leave. They didn't want good coaches hired away. Some conclusions can probably be drawn from who is attracting new job offers and who is not.

Like it or not, assistant salaries are where the 'arms race' is right now, and if we want to play with the big boys, we need to pay like the big boys. And anyone who thinks NU can't afford it, is simply delusional.

Chad Morris and Venerables at Clemson say hello. Granted they are OC/DC but they are making like 2.3 million between the 2. Strong getting 5 mill/year as the HC at Texas etc.... Assistants money is having to grow to get/keep them. I just don't think NU is ready to let that money go.

Here is kind of a bold replacement that I hadn't really thought of till I saw it over on Huskermax:

Mike Minter

He is currently HC at Campbell University in North Carolina, but I would almost guarantee he would come home.

I also don't mind the idea of going out trying to make a huge hire and make the new guy "co" defensive cord with Pap.

That was might first name I thought of. Has all the credentials as a college player and pro. Got to watch him at NU and his career as a Panther solid on and off the field. Has some (limited) coaching experience, but was the QB of the D his time in the pro's. Great "get" IMO.

This ^^^

Actually I really liked this. He just came right out and told the truth. I thought it was great of him to say. When people say stupid stuff like "It isn't abut the money" It is always about the money. This is his career, HIS JOB. He is being offered more money, and apparently an extension, at a currently better program. I like his honesty.

Sometimes I think our fandom makes us forget these decisions are made very much like how you or I would change jobs. Location? money? opportunity to move up? security? wife happy?

This ^^^

It's plus or minus a 20% raise, more than a lateral move, and with the uncertainty about Bo's job status all year he'd be dumb not to consider it.

No problem with him considering or even taking it. But to basically challenge the A.D. to meet his demands publicly is bush league. If Eichorst gives in, every single assistant will consider using the same public tactic.

I'd be fine if he made his concerns known to Bo and the A.D. privately.

Paging Eric Warfield... Decent player for the chiefs. Grew up in the south (Mississippi and Arkansas) int

While he may not really have any coaching or recruiting experience, he has playing experience. It would look great to recruits that a former NFL player knows what to do to get in the league, he should be a name to throw into all the names.

This ^^^

Actually I really liked this. He just came right out and told the truth. I thought it was great of him to say. When people say stupid stuff like "It isn't abut the money" It is always about the money. This is his career, HIS JOB. He is being offered more money, and apparently an extension, at a currently better program. I like his honesty.

Sometimes I think our fandom makes us forget these decisions are made very much like how you or I would change jobs. Location? money? opportunity to move up? security? wife happy?

Agreed Macro. In the end, he's just a man trying to do what's best for himself. I liked his honesty. I always find it funny, you can never please people. Had he went to AnM and said "it's not just about the money", people here would crucify him and call BS. Yet, he was honest and simply said money is a factor ( of course it is, why wouldn't it be) and you still have those people who act like he's a bad guy for saying it. Ha, you can't win.